List of "Best Engines" ever made - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: List of
Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:20 AM
99redz24 wrote:chuck norris has an LS1 in the center of his chest instead of a heart

Chuck Norris had his heart replaced with an LS7 shortly after he was defeated by Bruce Lee.

Bruce Lee died from mysterious causes shortly afterwards.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:39 AM
I like how the Ford Lima 2.3 turbo is first on your list knoxfire!

Seriously you can't kill a Ford 2.3t.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:47 AM
I would say the supercharged AMG V8 that mercedes throws in everything should go on there....
Sunday, November 02, 2008 11:06 AM
The Quad 4 family, 4.3L, and LSx all need to be on that list.

Re: List of "Best Engines" ever made
Sunday, November 02, 2008 12:10 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:

sorry but I cant add anything Chrysler ever made because non of it has ever been reliable

a mopar 440 V8 in a dart doing high 11s for 6 years without pulling the engine for a rebuild aint reliable enough for ya?

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, November 02, 2008 1:55 PM
3.0 and 3.2 SHO V6
Sunday, November 02, 2008 3:15 PM
2.2OHV

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:16 AM
Nissan's 3.5vq series engines

Not unintentionally accelerating since 2009!!!!

Re: List of Best Engines ever made
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:31 AM
KandyMan...Das Deutsche. wrote:Nissan's 3.5vq series engines

Beat me to it, but also add the VQ37. That series takes it for V6. LNF is quite a powerplant for the 4-cyl category., but I will conceed that the honda K series is potent and fun to rev. Of course LSx takes V8. There are not enough V12s out there to distinguish.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 7:57 AM
Here's some more picks I think are worthy:

Suzuki 1.0 SOHC G10 L3 engine. Made only 55hp but was a tough little workhorse that always got you home and was easy to work on whenever it did conk out. On top of that it was miserly on fuel and could put out some decent power with a Turbo.

303 Oldsmobile Rocket V8. One of the most powerful engines of it's era and arguably the first fast Hot-Rod engine. Yeah, the Ford flathead found it's way in more cars and has more of a reputation, but the Rocket V8's were the ones that won most of the races I'd bet.

Should we vote now or anyone wanna toss in some more?
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 12:13 PM

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 2:43 PM
I have to add in the VG30DETT 3.0L twin turbo engine from the 300ZX.. Those things were wicked fast from the factory and they stood up to the boost easily

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 3:08 PM
Alex Richards wrote:Ln2...you always need a fall back thats just down right durable..If it lasts about as long or longer than a honda and it was originated 30+ years ago using technology from even earlier I'd say you did a fine job. Nothing wrong with a workhorse...in this case its just everyones bitch...

How could oyu leave out the mighty Ellis Juan?

enter some tool who thinks the 2JZ-GTE isthe greatest thing since sliced bread...

so wait, defend the LN2, then diss the 2JZ?

you're kidding, right..?

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 3:22 PM
Toyota 20R/22R/22RE

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 3:56 PM
Yep, was going to mention the Merlin engine.

Also, some love here for the 4G63 powerplant.

Lastly:

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:52 PM
I agree with almost all of the engines on the list, but you HAVE to put the 1.3L Rotary Turbo engines on there. Rules the HP per Liter motors.

And I agree with Darkstars on the 340 Mopar engines. Nice, but honestly the 360 was way more of a work horse. And Dodge agreed because they were in use forever.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 7:12 PM
I just thought I'd chime in that a well-tuned Buick 322 Nailhead straight 8 is the most beautiful engine I've ever heard. (Enjoys moving his boss' 1949 Roadmaster).

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 9:18 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:
Alex Richards wrote:Ln2...you always need a fall back thats just down right durable..If it lasts about as long or longer than a honda and it was originated 30+ years ago using technology from even earlier I'd say you did a fine job. Nothing wrong with a workhorse...in this case its just everyones bitch...

enter some tool who thinks the 2JZ-GTE isthe greatest thing since sliced bread...

you're kidding, right..?

No Im just tired of the kids who think they know it all worshipping it like its some godsend...

I will admit its a great motor...But to be honest its not something all that spectacular...it just has a big aftermarket. 10k into a drivetrain and your only into the 12's? Bitch please...

I would'nt necessarily put it into the "best motor" category just because its popular... But everyone else will becuase they saw this sick supra online once....

Would like to see where I "dissed" the 2JZ....I respect it for what it is, and honestly its only as good as its after market support....which on a good day might keep up in a good pro street class. There is no innovation in the 2JZ and certainly nothing high tech we have not seen before...Take the LNF powerplant as an example if you want to see what I'm talking about in regards to innovation. Everyone just makes it out to be some super awesome kill all. I for one am not one to side for the majority just because the majority says so.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 9:22 PM
Alex Richards wrote:
No Im just tired of the kids who think they know it all worshipping it like its some godsend...

I will admit its a great motor...But to be honest its not something all that spectacular...it just has a big aftermarket.

**cough** LS1 **cough**cough**

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 10:26 PM
Well being way oldschool I think the 2.0 ohv eng gm did for the js is solid.I have over 205,000 miles and no rebuild.My car is 23 yrs old and see alot of the 1st gen stuff rolling and not a tlc for those I see with mileage out the azz.Granted some may or may not agree but,all the work I have done is just tune up stuff aside from the resto work I have done on mine.I am not sure if the ohc version is better/worse but,regardless time speaks for those that I see in numbers still riding along everywhere 1st gen wise.I just like this eng regardless.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 11:51 PM
Alex Richards wrote:
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:

you're kidding, right..?

I will admit its a great motor...But to be honest its not something all that spectacular...it just has a big aftermarket. 10k into a drivetrain and your only into the 12's? Bitch please...

I would'nt necessarily put it into the "best motor" category just because its popular... But everyone else will becuase they saw this sick supra online once....

Would like to see where I "dissed" the 2JZ....I respect it for what it is, and honestly its only as good as its after market support....which on a good day might keep up in a good pro street class. There is no innovation in the 2JZ and certainly nothing high tech we have not seen before...Take the LNF powerplant as an example if you want to see what I'm talking about in regards to innovation. Everyone just makes it out to be some super awesome kill all. I for one am not one to side for the majority just because the majority says so.

I'm not sure where you get 10k from.. stock supras run mid to high 13s, and BPUs run mid 11s (running stock twins, stock internals, stock head, stock cams) a lot of bolt ons and a boost controller but thats about it.

There's a lot of high dollar mods that the riceboy 'bling bling' supra owner will buy to fancy the engine up that wouldn't really be necessary until much higher hp levels.. I guess this is where you got your information..?

But 3k for the upgrades to get into BPU territory (if you ignore the suspension crap) is a bit lower than the 10k you claim, and is right on par with other sports cars in its class.

while I HATE the tool-bag fanboy worship as much as anyone else (RB, 2JZ, LSX, K series, SR, etc) I hate when people try to talk @!#$ when the only thing of value coming out of their mouths is the sound of their voice.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 6:32 AM
We'll all be the judge of which engines are good and which are bad when we vote on it at the end of this thread. No arguments please.
Wednesday, November 05, 2008 7:46 PM
4.3 everything breaks around it. and the chevy 302 small block for the 69 z/28s,took unreal rpms.

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow....... but some day
Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:24 PM
Not a Honda guy but I'm going to say F20C. Can't argue with 123.5 hp per liter (N.A.)

Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:26 PM
if i had to list only 3 engines in no particular order they would be...

LS1
K20
M52 - current BMW straight 6 engine

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search