My New Project- 76 Jeep CJ-7 - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My New Project- 76 Jeep CJ-7
Monday, March 15, 2010 2:57 AM
you can't even get a jeep with a blown motor for under $1000 here.......
i like the OD idea.......

i am gone from this forum

Monday, March 15, 2010 8:41 AM
i forgot to snap pics yesterday, but i'll have my dad send me a couple that he took. i'm sure there'll be plenty more pics this weekend as well.

Check out my build thread!

Monday, March 15, 2010 9:14 PM
minimotos95 wrote:you can't even get a jeep with a blown motor for under $1000 here.......

yeah its getting to be pretty hard to find a good deal on jeeps around here, i guess i didn't do too bad on mine.

just placed my order today on a 2.5" rough country suspension system, complete with shocks. got a deal that was too good to pass up. hope to have it here this weekend to install.

Monday, March 15, 2010 10:02 PM
This thread would be epic if there was more pictures. Lol. Make it epic!!

Monday, March 15, 2010 10:38 PM
i'll upload some tomorrow. its hard to get pics because its parked at home while i'm at college. it sucks, i can't get near as much work done to it as i want to.

Monday, March 15, 2010 10:40 PM
Yeah i hear ya bro. I have been working entirely too much to get a piece of ass let alone work on the ol fire which needs it desperately. Lol.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:46 AM
as promised, here's some pics from the workday on sunday. sorry for the pics, my dad's not a great cameraman lol.

me pulling wiring holders in the engine bay:

me pulling the fenders:

side shot of the jeep:

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 11:32 AM
Nice. Next weekend for morework?

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:33 PM
yep, going home this weekend to hopefully take off the old body, throw the lift kit on, and bolt the new body up.

pretty lofty goals because i've never done work of this magnitude, and i have no idea what i'm in for. hopefully everything goes as planned.

we picked up our cutting torch a couple weeks ago, so we'll probably torch the bolts off. i've heard those are a major PITA. does anybody know where i can get new body bolts at?

Friday, March 19, 2010 5:06 PM
BIG update. at least to me anyway.

a great gentlemen, working for UPS, dropped off my Monstaliner bedlining kit, my drivers front fender, and my complete Rough Country suspension lift kit. I'm so pumped now! I can't wait to start doing work on this bitch tomorrow.

Friday, March 19, 2010 5:23 PM
Ahem PICTURES!!!!!!!

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Friday, March 19, 2010 9:36 PM
Yeah dude... have you never looked at Ryans talon thread? That mother @!#$ posts pics of his cat when he gets new @!#$ PLUS the new @!#$. So better start learning.

On a serious note i am going to assume it arrived at HOME and not the DORM or whatever and its hard to post pics. lmfao.

Friday, March 19, 2010 10:02 PM
Yes those stupid suspension bolts are a PAIN!! I helped a buddy put a 4 1/2" lift on his YJ....we didn't have a torch....3 months later we finished. Doesn't 4 Wheel Parts carry the bolts your looking for?
How much of a lift you doing? We had to put spacers and longer bolts to drop the trans to keep it in line with the drive shaft. The angle was so bad the U-joint couldn't turn.
And like everybody that has commented....PICS! I know your at college but take a butt load when you get home to work on it!

Friday, March 19, 2010 10:20 PM
Any old bolts are a pain... a cutting torch is never a bad tool to have in your arsenal. Not only for cutting but just heating then spraying the @!#$ out of the bolts with PBblaster..... but i would use a cutting torch to heat... lmfao.. though im sure its not impossible.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 5:19 PM
alright, no real in depth pics of the parts that arrived, but i took these quick to tide you guys over lol

this is my bedlining kit, and the RC shocks

here's the RC 2.5" lifted leaf packs, and the new drivers fender in the background.

and here's some pics of the jeep after what little work i did to it today.

you can really see just how terrible the old tub is in this pic.

spent the majority of today tool shopping, added a set of torx sockets to the tool set. once that was over, i drilled out some of the stripped torx bolts holding the windshield in, and got that out of the way. also torched the front bumper bolts off, so that is gone now too.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:14 PM
Nice. More work tomorrow?

And its kinda sad because i really like the look of CJs from the front. The round headlights do it for me. BUT you will be getting a YJ for the price of an old CJ sooooo.... can't really complaing i guess.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:35 PM
minimotos95 wrote:you can't even get a jeep with a blown motor for under $1000 here.......

I can get a running jeep for a 1000...a good running with goodies on it for 2...

About those bolts....you could hit up your local tractor supply store and get some new ones.

Grade 8 at least for suspension and body stuff...

selling my truck....let me know if your interested.
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/1600725733.html
Saturday, March 20, 2010 9:47 PM
You are selling your truck in Harrisuburg so im going to assume u also live in PA, and there isnt too my CJ or YJs that run in PA for a grand.... You could luck out and get one that needs a decent bit of work that runs... but that be luck.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 11:24 PM
yep i'm gonna work on it more tomorrow. hoping to have the POS body off and ready for the new body to go on next weekend or so.

oh, and square headlights are lame. i have a complete YJ front clip that i could put on, but why would i do that when the CJ front end is so much sexier.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:20 PM
well, i didn't get as much done today as i would've liked because the race was on, and it was at Bristol (my absolute favorite track), so i didn't do a single thing until that was over.

aside from that, today was pretty productive. torched the rear bumper bolts off and pulled that, pulled the steering column, and disconnected the clutch, brake, and gas pedals. and i also dropped the gas tank and filler neck. the CJ is completely ready to have the old body taken off.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:37 PM
Holy crap that tub is shot!!! What'd they do, store it in salty water? It'll be nice when it's all put together! They are pretty fun driving around with the top and doors off.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:43 PM
no pictures

Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:49 PM
NaviCavi (thnkin04eco) wrote:Holy crap that tub is shot!!! What'd they do, store it in salty water? It'll be nice when it's all put together! They are pretty fun driving around with the top and doors off.

one of the previous owners used it as a farm vehicle, beat the @!#$ out of it, and ni**er rigged a lot of @!#$ on it. when i got it, air ducts were blocked off, the carb flap was zip tied open, and panels on the tub were riveted on. basically, it wasn't taken care of well at all, aside from regular oil changes and such. the guy i bought it from had too many projects (some pretty awesome ones, i might add) and wanted nothing to do with the hack job @!#$ the previous owner did. lucky me i guess lol.

no pics this time because there really wasn't much to show for it. doesn't look too different, the only thing really noticeable is the steering wheel is gone.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:52 PM
EDIT: i'll be sure to snap many, hopefully better quality, pics of the tub and suspension transplant, as well as the frame cleaning.

Monday, March 22, 2010 8:45 PM
Ohh....

Please do get many pics.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search