My New Project- 76 Jeep CJ-7 - Page 3 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My New Project- 76 Jeep CJ-7
Monday, March 22, 2010 9:33 PM
^ will do, don't worry. hopefully my dad's got the digital camera charged up to use this weekend so i don't have to take @!#$ty camera phone pics.

Check out my build thread!

Monday, March 22, 2010 10:42 PM
GTmatters wrote:You are selling your truck in Harrisuburg so im going to assume u also live in PA, and there isnt too my CJ or YJs that run in PA for a grand.... You could luck out and get one that needs a decent bit of work that runs... but that be luck.

I could prolly get a running yj that needs work for grand...and other jeeps like XJs and ZJ's for around a grand.

Hell i almost bought a XJ for 300 that was running like a champ,needed some stuff,but ran great....but someone bought it before me.

ANYWAY...more pics!

selling my truck....let me know if your interested.
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/1600725733.html
Tuesday, March 23, 2010 1:25 AM
Lol older XJs are a big price difference than AND CJ or YJ lol... but i get you.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:21 PM
made a decent amount of progress today, about as much as i could because its been raining all day. body bolts are OUT! the old tub is sitting on the frame until tomorrow when i'll have help to taking it off.

here's my dad torching the body bolts

of course, some came out even easier, and i ended up with this:

that one ripped right out of the rear bumper support, made life much easier.

here's all the old @!#$ sitting in the tub

i put a new valve cover on it yesterday as well. the old one in the pic had a leak right around one of the bolts. i got another shipment of parts yesterday too. i'll post some pics of those when i move the body off tomorrow. in a nutshell, its black DP corner guards, turn signal cam, shift boot, and mirrors.

also got some more good news. my uncle, who's done auto body repair as a career for years, is going to do the body work on my YJ tub for cheap!

Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:02 PM
Good progress bro.

Saturday, March 27, 2010 8:11 PM
i wanted to do more, but rain sucks. still managed to start a few of the old body mounts on fire with the torch. that was pretty cool.

i even managed to get my dad hooked on jeeps. we may be looking at a TJ for him tomorrow.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 6:34 PM
UPDATE:

tub came off today. had some help pulling it off, and it was super easy. no unexpected surprises actually. anyway, onto the pics.

i'm actually very surprised how good of shape the frame is in. the only cancer is on the body mounts, which can be fabbed up quite easily. here's a pic of the worst of the damage. just a little rust around where the bolt was.

next big task is cleaning up the frame and driveline. you can see all the grease caked onto the transfer case, engine, and tranny.

the old tub can suck one.

i got a 4 day weekend coming up next weekend. planning on cleaning the frame (degreasing and sandblasting), painting, and installing new brake and fuel lines, along with a bunch of other misc. things. anyway, thanks for looking!

Sunday, March 28, 2010 9:31 PM
@!#$ right dude, you are turning this thread into a beastly one. I am officially subscribed. Keep up the motivation bro.

Monday, March 29, 2010 5:11 AM
^ thanks! its a lot easier to go out and work on the son-of-a-bee sting now that i have a huge stack of awesome parts waiting for me to get off my ass and fix up the jeep.

i wish i could find a decent deal on a 350 engine, tranny, and transfer case right now. with everything off, and the motor just sitting there, its so tempting to upgrade the drivetrain lol. in due time i guess.

Monday, March 29, 2010 10:00 AM
Haha i would getter running first, but thats me. When u put the new tub on all the bolts will be fresh and stuff and it IS a CJ so if u really need to take the tub off for a swap or something it would take NEARLY as long.

Monday, March 29, 2010 12:30 PM
well the old 258 ran great when i started ripping @!#$ apart, but i just can't decide if i should swap a bigger, more powerful motor in it while i'm at it.

i've found a bunch of 318s and 360s that i could pick up pretty cheap, and from what i've read i would be able to use my T18 tranny still. i still gotta do a little more research and weigh my options.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:10 AM
Well if u can get something bigger for minimal price... then go for it.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:16 PM
after doing more research, i'll end up spending a lot more on a motor swap than i really want to. i'm trying to keep costs to a minimum for the time being (broke in college) so the swap will have to wait. i'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a 4.0 head to tide me over for the time being.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:53 PM
Smart decision. Im a post whore sometimes, sorry. Plus i think there should be a response to everyone deserving. lol.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:12 PM
Oooo pics have been added! Nice work. Are you going to do a simple paint or are you POR 15ing and such?

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:23 PM
i got some free chassis saver when i ordered my Monstaliner. it's supposedly tougher and better than POR15. i'll put that on the chassis and axles and then i'll spray black rustoleum over the chassis saver.

Friday, April 02, 2010 11:05 PM
well, today we degreased and pressure washed the frame and drivetrain. it took a lot longer than i expected it too, but with 35 years of dirt, tar, and grease, we really couldn't help it much.

my dad power-washing the jeep frame

spraying the tranny and block

using my grandpa's bobcat to lift the frame, to get to the hard to reach areas

the tranny and transfer case is so clean now that i can read the casting numbers! WOOT!

we also started to sandblast the frame. got too hungry (and dark) to finish so we'll finish blasting the frame tomorrow.

Friday, April 02, 2010 11:14 PM
I love old iron like this. Good clean simple fun! Keep us posted.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Friday, April 02, 2010 11:32 PM
will do, bill! we may not see eye to eye on politics, but we do on cars. i was kinda scared to take on a frame off restoration, but after taking it completely apart, i've realized just how simple jeeps are.

thank god for simplicity though. this is my first real project, so its really fun doing it. i feel in over my head now, imagine how i'd feel doing something more complex lol.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 8:50 PM
8-10 hours of this:

(sandblasting, like our ghetto blasting booth? lol)

and you get this:

its not perfect, but its a frame and it doesn't have to be. while blasting it, we did come across a few problem areas which will need to be welded up. that will be taken care of tomorrow hopefully, as well as primer on the frame.

i thought this was kind've a cool pic of my car.

Saturday, April 03, 2010 9:55 PM
Nice progress! With the education I am getting now, if I had a Jeep and the tub off like you do, I would be sorely tempted to drob that frame to the ground...
But it's nice that your taking the time to do it the right way! Keep it up!

Saturday, April 03, 2010 10:06 PM
Strong chassis. I admire the way it's fully-boxed in the midsection to keep the Jeep stiff in off-road excursions.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Sunday, April 04, 2010 1:07 AM
NaviCavi (thnkin04eco) wrote:Nice progress! With the education I am getting now, if I had a Jeep and the tub off like you do, I would be sorely tempted to drob that frame to the ground...
But it's nice that your taking the time to do it the right way! Keep it up!

LOL nah i gotta keep the jeep doing what it does best, going places other vehicles can only dream of going.

Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:Strong chassis. I admire the way it's fully-boxed in the midsection to keep the Jeep stiff in off-road excursions.

quite strong for being 35 years old, and especially because a lot of them are much worse than this one is. i've seen many frames completely rotted in the mid-section area. thank god i only have slight patching to do.

Sunday, April 04, 2010 2:29 AM
Love the progress dude.

Sunday, April 04, 2010 5:54 PM
Frame is painted!

i used rustoleum bedliner to paint it. i was worried it was going to be too flat and too textured, but i'm very happy with the results!

here's a close up of the front mount to show the texture and finish

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search