My New Project- 76 Jeep CJ-7 - Page 4 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My New Project- 76 Jeep CJ-7
Sunday, April 04, 2010 6:01 PM
Like new

Sunday, April 04, 2010 6:22 PM
better than new! lol thank god the frame is done. i'm coughing and sneezing up black @!#$ from all that sandblasting.

Check out my build thread!

Sunday, April 04, 2010 6:24 PM
Nicely done. You're well on your way!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Sunday, April 04, 2010 8:10 PM
thanks bill! next up is the suspension swap, block painting, and axle painting, but i probably won't get to that until the week after next.

Monday, April 05, 2010 8:25 PM
That frame looks good! I would gladly cough and sneeze with an outcome like that.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 4:03 AM
kinda stuff did you have to sand blast with? it looks awsome and i've been looking around for some kinda sandblaster gun for my truck frame and other large stuff.
Tuesday, April 06, 2010 12:09 AM
NaviCavi (thnkin04eco) wrote:That frame looks good! I would gladly cough and sneeze with an outcome like that.

thanks! i'm pretty happy with the outcome, honestly it turned out a lot better than i thought it would.

Ryan Shissler wrote:kinda stuff did you have to sand blast with? it looks awsome and i've been looking around for some kinda sandblaster gun for my truck frame and other large stuff.

i used my grandpa's sandblaster. it's just a 50lb craftsman portable blaster kit, you can get it at sears for $60. its a real time consuming process, and i'm not gonna lie its really @!#$ty work.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 11:42 PM
well, no progress last weekend, but luckily i got around to working on it this weekend. i got the axles painted with bedliner, tranny and transfer case painted (duplicolor high heat) and the tube bumpers sandblasted, bedlined, and clear coated. no pics of the bumpers though, sorry.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 11:52 PM
Nice. Way to take your time and not just hurry it together. Looking good!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Sunday, April 18, 2010 11:55 PM
thank you sir!

next weekend i'll be focusing on finally putting the new suspension together and painting the block.

Sunday, April 18, 2010 11:56 PM
also forgot to mention the makings of my primitive stereo system came in this weekend. got a great deal at best buy on a set of kenwood 6.5" rounds and kenwood kdc-342u head unit.

Sunday, May 02, 2010 6:34 PM
spent all weekend working on the jeep. started out dropping the suspension, and ended up realizing we needed to do more frame work. so, the springs, shocks, and rear axle got dropped. cut off a few brackets to weld more easily, and finished it up. when all was said and done, we replaced four of the body mounts because they were too far gone, fixed a couple rust cracks on the frame rails, and reinforced the weak portion of the CJ frame on both sides.

here's the pics from this weekend.

my grandpa welding. he's pretty much a pro.

here's the reinforcement before being cleaned up a bit.

here's the new body mounts. still need to drill out the holes, but that'll happen once the body is ready to go on.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 3:51 PM
well after a long time of not touching the jeep and doing what teenagers do best (partying, fishing, and other general nonsense) i got back to work on the jeep. so yesterday i got back to work, and started finishing up the suspension.

rear lift shackles on. these should give me about a 1/2" lift

leafts bolted to the axle and shocks mounted. the leafs will give about 2.5" of lift. total ift will be right around 3," which is all i really wanted/needed.

front springs dropped, shocks and shackles removed

shocks hanging with leafs in the ready position

front shackles installed

had to quit for the day because when i torched the bolts attaching the springs to the spring hanger, the hanger melted a little bit. that will be welded tomorrow, then i'll be able to finish the suspension work.

Wednesday, June 09, 2010 6:12 PM
Looks Awesome!!! i cannot wait for more updates

Thursday, June 10, 2010 4:37 PM
the jeep is officially lifted!

after working all day yesterday, today i realized the front springs were on the back, and we were trying to put the back springs on the front. after taking a half hour break to cuss and yell obscenities, i got back to work and fixed my mistakes. looks a lot better, and i'm extremely happy to be done with the suspension work. next up, new brake lines.

here's the pics from today.

Saturday, June 12, 2010 3:47 PM
you have got to add a little color to the underside and paint that drive shaft safety orange.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 1:53 AM
lol if i paint it anything crazy, i'll probably match it to the shackle bushings and paint it red. but it'll more than likely end up black or silver.

Monday, June 14, 2010 9:53 PM
today i picked up 25' of brake line, fittings, and some cast iron color duplicolor engine enamel. i spent the night disconnecting brake lines, and of course i degreased the engine. pics to follow tomorrow. i hope to have time to shoot a couple coats of the engine paint.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 8:29 PM
You have any new pics or new progress to post here?
Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:18 PM
none yet, i spent all weekend and this week working. hopefully i'll have some decent progress to post on saturday night.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:45 PM
Looks sweet.

You planning to dd that or wheel?

Ya know when that bug to lift it more. Which it will.you could flip the axle.

Friday, June 25, 2010 9:38 AM
it's gonna be my dd, but it will definitely go off road plenty. i hunt, fish, camp, and go shooting all the time. but i do want to take it on the occasional trail run as well.

i may lift it more in the future, but for now 3" is perfect because i didn't want to upgrade tires at the moment. it came with 31x10.50's that were in great shape so i might as well use them. i thought about going SOA but decided against it because it wouldn't handle as well on pavement. in the future, when i get a different DD and this becomes a dedicated trail vehicle, SOA is definitely at the top of the list for upgrades.

Friday, June 25, 2010 3:16 PM
Man i was defintley glad to find this thread because im going to be getting myself into this exact same project starting next week except im getting two jeeps and transplanting a v8 auto onto a frame that im going to do this to.
Friday, June 25, 2010 4:29 PM
definitely post up progress when you do! i'd love to see it. i really wanted a v8 mated to my t18 transmission, but i just didn't have the funds to do it right now. down the road though.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:17 PM
little bit of progress this weekend. got the motor painted and started to reassemble it. i'll have to get better pics sometime when it's not so bright out because it's hard to tell the color in the pics. the color is called Cast Iron, it's duplicolor engine enamel. it's a dark gray color, and i'm pretty damn happy with the results.

also started running the rear brake lines, but had to quit because i realized i need to buy some more parts. joy.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search