My tow rig project- old school style - Page 4 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:40 AM
1997ztwo4 wrote:

Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:

I've always wanted to do a Big Truck project like this...thanks for the inspiration! Very cool build.

Say, do those rear control arms and wishbone have urethane or rubber bushings in them?



Thanks for the input!

I had wanted to build an unusual truck for a while and this one just fell in front of me, it just seemed so perfectly awkward i couldnt resist, lol.

We decided not to use rubber or urethane bushings due to the loads i plan to pull with it- we feel they may not like that kind of stress. Instead we went with replaceable brass bushing inserts. Hopefully these dont wear prematurely with being daily driven, but it is sonething i will just need to keep an eye on just in case.

OK...you may wish to consider that when the arms are placed in a twisting moment (such as one rear wheel being pushed up higher than the other) that the strain on the attaching hardware will be immense with solid bushings. As it's built now, the only way one wheel can travel higher than the other (like over a pothole, in and out of driveways, etc.) would be for tubing of the arms to actually twist. Urethane or rubber bushings can absorb this momentary angular misalignment without stressing the arms.



Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com


Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:07 PM
Damn dude, building my 4 link and frame gave me one hell of a headache...I can't imagine something on that scale. Keep up the good work, it's going to be siiiiick.



Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:24 PM
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:

1997ztwo4 wrote:

Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:

I've always wanted to do a Big Truck project like this...thanks for the inspiration! Very cool build.

Say, do those rear control arms and wishbone have urethane or rubber bushings in them?



Thanks for the input!

I had wanted to build an unusual truck for a while and this one just fell in front of me, it just seemed so perfectly awkward i couldnt resist, lol.

We decided not to use rubber or urethane bushings due to the loads i plan to pull with it- we feel they may not like that kind of stress. Instead we went with replaceable brass bushing inserts. Hopefully these dont wear prematurely with being daily driven, but it is sonething i will just need to keep an eye on just in case.

OK...you may wish to consider that when the arms are placed in a twisting moment (such as one rear wheel being pushed up higher than the other) that the strain on the attaching hardware will be immense with solid bushings. As it's built now, the only way one wheel can travel higher than the other (like over a pothole, in and out of driveways, etc.) would be for tubing of the arms to actually twist. Urethane or rubber bushings can absorb this momentary angular misalignment without stressing the arms.


Thanks for your thoughts, its always nice to have other opinions and thoughts from differing points of views.

There are worries with all the options. This seems to be the best compromise. We have tried a little side to side and it all seems to work good. On the bright side if it does cause issues down the road its just a matter of cutting off the old bar ends and welding on new ones, no big deal. I have done some asking around and others have used similar setups (on a smaller scale) with good results- time will tell how it works for my application.



_





Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:48 PM
Considering I highly doubt this truck will be driven hard around any corners, I'm sure it will hold up just fine without anything breaking.

The only thing I would do is reinforce the mounting point where the triangular bar attaches. From the picures, it looks a bit flimsy. The two other ones look like they are bolted right through the frame. Especially if you welded in tubes where the bolts go through, I highly doubt you'll have any issues there.

This truck is going to be sick when it's done. I may have missed this, but what is it going to be pulling? Do you already have a trailer, or are you going to build that next?






Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:35 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:

Considering I highly doubt this truck will be driven hard around any corners, I'm sure it will hold up just fine without anything breaking.

The only thing I would do is reinforce the mounting point where the triangular bar attaches. From the picures, it looks a bit flimsy. The two other ones look like they are bolted right through the frame. Especially if you welded in tubes where the bolts go through, I highly doubt you'll have any issues there.

This truck is going to be sick when it's done. I may have missed this, but what is it going to be pulling? Do you already have a trailer, or are you going to build that next?



The pics show none of the bracing yet. Just basic setup to make sure everything works and cycles properly.

It will be setup to tow with a regular ball hitch as well as 5th wheel. The paln is to use it to tow to farther away shows since we plan to do a fair bir of travelling next year. We will be building a 3 car trailer for my car, my brothers truck and a friends truck- both of which will make my Z look like basic work


_





Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:58 PM
Mostly finished rear suspension. 5th wheel setup.











_





Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:33 PM
Man that is bad @ss. You know what else would look bad @ss. Going with massive wide tires in the rear. Instead of the duals. Keep up the nice work



Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Friday, September 25, 2009 12:44 PM
You my man...are well on your way to much deserved magazine coverage.



Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Friday, September 25, 2009 1:09 PM
some chrome Duelly wheels would be sweet on that


ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500


Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Friday, September 25, 2009 1:24 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:

Considering I highly doubt this truck will be driven hard around any corners, I'm sure it will hold up just fine without anything breaking.

Ah, if only "cornering" were the only concern. That can be controlled easily enough...what's potentially troubling is the presumption that road surfaces wherever it goes will be smooth as glass and dead level. Potholes, aprons, you name it...this is why vehicles use flexible bushings, to allow the rear axle assembly sufficient latitude to twist relative to the chassis. Not to mention the utter lack of absorption afforded by solid bushings, which transfer 100% of the shock to the mounting bolts and brackets.



Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Saturday, September 26, 2009 8:27 AM
What I love about this the most is, where most people would say "Oh man, the engine I want to use won't fit with this frame... I guess I'll have to choose a different engine.." You guys just say "Oh man, the engine I want to use won't fit in this frame... Lets just build an effing new one!"

Awesome




Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Saturday, September 26, 2009 8:43 AM
i agree with wide ass rear tires. not duals lol. but i can understand for load hauling requirements why you would have to use duals again. lovin it man!



Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Saturday, September 26, 2009 12:28 PM
There are some rigs that use single extra wide radial tires on the tractor instead of standard duals. They're something like 525/55/R20 or some crazy sh!t. I know a lot of the Mobil tanker trucks have them. Those would fit your truck pretty nicely.





Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Saturday, September 26, 2009 3:22 PM
Looks amazing dude. Loving it...



Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Saturday, September 26, 2009 3:36 PM
Vincent Morris Tank Topped Eco wrote:

i agree with wide ass rear tires. not duals lol. but i can understand for load hauling requirements why you would have to use duals again. lovin it man!


No no... the newer big rigs(and new tires on older ones), on the drive wheels use double wide tires instead of duals. it is for road surface preservation, so they aren't running around with 2 thin loads, they have one big spread out load to not leave grooves over time. I think that is an awesome idea. They make them for the big rig drive wheels, obviously, so you just gotta get those wheels and tires to fit


On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Saturday, September 26, 2009 4:16 PM
TheDark1 wrote:

Man that is bad @ss. You know what else would look bad @ss. Going with massive wide tires in the rear. Instead of the duals. Keep up the nice work


Going to stick with dually wheels off the bus due to width issues. Was looking into semi truck wheel options, but want to stay a little narrower than that for driveability reasons- ot will be tight getting this thing into some places already. Definitely an idea i considered and had wheels lined up for.

JerseyJayLN2 (Scarab) wrote:

What I love about this the most is, where most people would say "Oh man, the engine I want to use won't fit with this frame... I guess I'll have to choose a different engine.." You guys just say "Oh man, the engine I want to use won't fit in this frame... Lets just build an effing new one!"

Awesome


Thanks!
"This frame is ugly and wont lay out" seems to be the way these projects start out


_





Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Saturday, September 26, 2009 6:25 PM
1997ztwo4 wrote:

JerseyJayLN2 (Scarab) wrote:

What I love about this the most is, where most people would say "Oh man, the engine I want to use won't fit with this frame... I guess I'll have to choose a different engine.." You guys just say "Oh man, the engine I want to use won't fit in this frame... Lets just build an effing new one!"

Awesome


Thanks!
"This frame is ugly and wont lay out" seems to be the way these projects start out


I thought it was "Hey you know what would be cool?" while enjoying multiple tasty beverages.


"Project 69'"
1969 Chevrolet C/10, 1/2 ton, 2wd
-Boosted LS1?
-Richmond ROD 6-speed(will get sometime)
-Posi 12-bolt(built w/eaton posi unit and richmond 3.73 gears)
-Disc brake and 5 lug swap
+little extras
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Monday, September 28, 2009 8:09 AM
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:

Quiklilcav wrote:

Considering I highly doubt this truck will be driven hard around any corners, I'm sure it will hold up just fine without anything breaking.

Ah, if only "cornering" were the only concern. That can be controlled easily enough...what's potentially troubling is the presumption that road surfaces wherever it goes will be smooth as glass and dead level. Potholes, aprons, you name it...this is why vehicles use flexible bushings, to allow the rear axle assembly sufficient latitude to twist relative to the chassis. Not to mention the utter lack of absorption afforded by solid bushings, which transfer 100% of the shock to the mounting bolts and brackets.

Bill, Why are more people, NOT, understanding this?





Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:21 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:

Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:

Quiklilcav wrote:

Considering I highly doubt this truck will be driven hard around any corners, I'm sure it will hold up just fine without anything breaking.

Ah, if only "cornering" were the only concern. That can be controlled easily enough...what's potentially troubling is the presumption that road surfaces wherever it goes will be smooth as glass and dead level. Potholes, aprons, you name it...this is why vehicles use flexible bushings, to allow the rear axle assembly sufficient latitude to twist relative to the chassis. Not to mention the utter lack of absorption afforded by solid bushings, which transfer 100% of the shock to the mounting bolts and brackets.

Bill, Why are more people, NOT, understanding this?



I totally understand and I agree. The first time there is any weight on the back and you hit a pot hole at speed something is either going to break or bend.


KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:


and I'm NOT a pedo. everyone knows i've got a wheelchair fetish.


Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Thursday, October 01, 2009 2:49 PM
Harrington (Fiber Faber) wrote:

-MD- Enforcer wrote:

Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:

Quiklilcav wrote:

Considering I highly doubt this truck will be driven hard around any corners, I'm sure it will hold up just fine without anything breaking.

Ah, if only "cornering" were the only concern. That can be controlled easily enough...what's potentially troubling is the presumption that road surfaces wherever it goes will be smooth as glass and dead level. Potholes, aprons, you name it...this is why vehicles use flexible bushings, to allow the rear axle assembly sufficient latitude to twist relative to the chassis. Not to mention the utter lack of absorption afforded by solid bushings, which transfer 100% of the shock to the mounting bolts and brackets.

Bill, Why are more people, NOT, understanding this?



I totally understand and I agree. The first time there is any weight on the back and you hit a pot hole at speed something is either going to break or bend.



Hmm, you guys must live near some really big potholes. It gets 4" of travel per side on the rear axle weight alone- so there is no unnecasary stress yet then for sure. Of course this doesnt take into account that it would be shared between front and rear suspension and the (minute) frame flex that is inevitible. I'm curious who else here has played with bushings and suspension setups like this hands on, and who is going on theory alone.
As much as i may be a novice builder, I am very confident in my brothers work and designing to the point that i have no worries. He is exceptionally good at what he does.

Anyhow, thats the end of my part of that discusion- on to more pics










_





Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Thursday, October 01, 2009 6:59 PM
Sweet tits.




Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Thursday, October 01, 2009 9:48 PM




Lanman31337 -F = fatties = do not want. A little chunk in the junk is ok though.

Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Friday, October 02, 2009 5:18 AM
Body dropping it? That would really tits.


"Project 69'"
1969 Chevrolet C/10, 1/2 ton, 2wd
-Boosted LS1?
-Richmond ROD 6-speed(will get sometime)
-Posi 12-bolt(built w/eaton posi unit and richmond 3.73 gears)
-Disc brake and 5 lug swap
+little extras
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Friday, October 02, 2009 5:39 AM
this is looking pretty sweet.



Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Friday, October 02, 2009 7:27 AM
w00t !. (Although I could have never gotten over the dead possum and raccoon family lol, the smell must have been epic.)

Looking forward to seeing it finished !



My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search