My tow rig project- old school style - Page 7 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:42 AM
Is that more or less safe than home made crystal meth? Just curious.... lol




Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:28 PM
One more pic, daily abuse bumper set up. Kinda see the rear fenders too.





_





Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:30 PM
this thing is just plain awesome!



Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 6:54 PM
its like an old school optimus prime..



Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:47 PM
Thats so bad ass lol



M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:43 AM
I love the eyelids. I was actually expecting that you'd go with the classic ones that just masked the top 1/4 of the bulb.





Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:44 PM
i like that alot!! can't wait to see it with a paint job. you better post alot of pics!!
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:31 PM
would look SWEET with dual rear axles like semi trucks!!!!
but i see yur done building the frame and all that....and idk
how that would actually work with air suspension.....


i say dont even paint it at all!

keep it rad-rod-ish looking!






Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Saturday, October 31, 2009 9:26 AM
ChevyBoi89 wrote:

would look SWEET with dual rear axles like semi trucks!!!!
but i see yur done building the frame and all that....and idk
how that would actually work with air suspension.....


i say dont even paint it at all!

keep it rad-rod-ish looking!



If the bodywork was a lot cleaner to start with it likely would have been left as is, but there were just too many holes rotten through it for that to work.


_





Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:52 PM
if you wanna make bio diesel theres tons of kits you can buy to make your own bio. Or you could find some sort of straight veg oil you might be able to modify to work with this old diesel! GL tho!




"It's called reading! Top to bottom, left to right... a group of words together is called a sentence. Take Tylenol for any headaches... Midol for any cramps."
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Saturday, October 31, 2009 5:01 PM
All you have to do it hit up some bars for their old fryer oil, filter it out and put a few additives in. You can spend a lot of money making it really high quality, but in a big old engine like that, I cant imagine needing to worry about all that.



Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Sunday, November 01, 2009 6:58 AM
Transporter7220 wrote:

All you have to do it hit up some bars for their old fryer oil, filter it out and put a few additives in. You can spend a lot of money making it really high quality, but in a big old engine like that, I cant imagine needing to worry about all that.


Thats the plan. These old engines are very forgiving, especially in the summer (veg oil thickens in the cold) The engine would actually run on straight veg oil (filtered to 1 micron, water settled out) but i plan to cut it about half and half with regular pump diesel. I dont want to get into making biodiesel since it gets to be almost as expensive as regular diesel (need to buy stuff to refine it with) and you need to spend time and effort on it.


_





Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Thursday, November 05, 2009 3:19 PM
Suicide doors (using old doors for fabrication/fitment) Should be interesting to open them in parking lots after they have the big mirrors mounted.




_





Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Thursday, November 05, 2009 4:11 PM
NUCKIN FUTS!


www.TaillightTinting.com #1 SOURCE FOR VHT NITE SHADES
www.aPlusPerformance.com BACK ONLINE SOMETIME SOON!
PHONE 763-682-9945

Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:33 PM
APlusPerformance.com wrote:

NUCKIN FUTS!



Free parts?


_





Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:08 PM
Hehehe, this is getting cooler by the day



" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Friday, November 13, 2009 10:16 PM
You are the craziest fool since that air brushing genious gone mental on here... this is absolutely amazing. Did you ever say anything about the chop top idea? It would be a @!#$ load more work and it seems you live in similar terrain as i do, and flying rocks/gravel on back roads could prove to be the demize of your windshield and that would mean you would have to cut/customize a new one if something like that would happen.



Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Saturday, November 14, 2009 6:16 AM
GTmatters wrote:

You are the craziest fool since that air brushing genious gone mental on here... this is absolutely amazing. Did you ever say anything about the chop top idea? It would be a @!#$ load more work and it seems you live in similar terrain as i do, and flying rocks/gravel on back roads could prove to be the demize of your windshield and that would mean you would have to cut/customize a new one if something like that would happen.


I had thought briefly about chopping the top, but it just takes away from the look that i like about this truck, so that idea is out.

And a few more pictures, the begining of the tear down.
















_





Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Saturday, November 14, 2009 8:49 AM
Most impressive. The one thought that came to me was back when we were doing buses with the rear axle we had a huge set of trailing arms and the bushing were about 3-4" in diamater. with a vehicle designed for GVWR of 48,000 lbs they would wear, but not bad.

And yes subscribed as I want to see this one when finished.....you culd almost park the cavy sideways on the low spot in the bed.....




Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Monday, November 16, 2009 6:16 PM
Ok.... so i have an idea. You make a kind donation and figure out a way to put that turbo in my 96 GT.... I can deal with a little turbo lag. That exhaust is sexy as hell.

And have you had her started up yet? If so, does she sound good? Youll have to post a vid when done.



Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:35 AM
Awesome build!!! I was wondering what size you made the frame from? Also you used 10000# bags for the rear, what about the fronts? Last if its not to much to ask I would love to see better pics of how you set up the front end. Did you use the front end from the bus? Thanks, cant wait to see it finished.

Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:17 PM
GTmatters wrote:

Ok.... so i have an idea. You make a kind donation and figure out a way to put that turbo in my 96 GT.... I can deal with a little turbo lag. That exhaust is sexy as hell.

And have you had her started up yet? If so, does she sound good? Youll have to post a vid when done.


That turbo is pretty large, should do the trick nicely as i am sticking with fairly conservative boost pressure for at least the first year.
I have started it, it sounds like an old IDI diesel with no load- rattles loud enough from the engine that you barely here the exhaust. It will be different when driving, probably loud with the pipe right behind the cab.


JoeBiv318 wrote:

Awesome build!!! I was wondering what size you made the frame from? Also you used 10000# bags for the rear, what about the fronts? Last if its not to much to ask I would love to see better pics of how you set up the front end. Did you use the front end from the bus? Thanks, cant wait to see it finished.


The frame is 3x6 1/4 wall- heavy duty for towing capacity and because the frame is also the air tank. There are 10,000lb bags all the way around. The front is a custom solid axle with 3 link (basically 4 link with one common point) using spindles from the bus and a newer 1/2 ton chevy steering rack. Sorry dont seem to have any pics on this computer, will try to remember to take some when i bring the camera to the shop.


_





Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:10 PM
haha i know the turbo is large that was why i was joking about it.



Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:36 AM

The frame is 3x6 1/4 wall- heavy duty for towing capacity and because the frame is also the air tank.


That is built like a TANK. I thought maybe 2X5 but is very hard to tell from pics. Quick calculations and you should have about 11.5-12 gallons per side of air space! that should do it! What are you using for a compressor? Engine driven? What max psi are you looking at putting in the tanks? Thanks
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:30 AM
cant wait to see this finished



Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search