21st Century Auto Safety - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
21st Century Auto Safety
Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:52 PM
You hear it all the freaking time, that "cars from the past are stronger" and "withstand crashes better." Look what happens when when you crash a classic with a new. CLICK THIS.

*This vid contains graphic destruction of a classic car, viewer discretion is advised.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: 21st Century Auto Safety
Thursday, September 10, 2009 5:23 PM
Glad to see it. I hate when people come to my work and while I'm writing a estimate or something say that(they dont make them like they used to) or if it was a older car they wouldn't need to get anything fixed.. Most the time i just say "yeah" because I know i cant convince them otherwise and that they wont understand it, but a couple of people more so friends and closer customers I have explained that, well the new cars are made to do that to protect the occupants lol

Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:23 PM
Ashame to see that chevy destroyed, but it also makes me wonder how much of a basket case that car actually was for them to use it as a test mule like that.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Friday, September 11, 2009 6:54 AM
cool stuff. I always hate when people say that.

Friday, September 11, 2009 7:16 AM
When I was a kid, the junkyards were littered with slightly dented cars whose front seats were full of blood. Sure, the car was fixable, but the guy who owned it usually wasn't able to do more than breathe through a tube. Another thing you don't see today are the racecar driver "tattoo", which is a never-fading bruise in the shape of the bottom of a steering wheel under your ribcage.

That old Chevy was probably completely restored for that test since I didn't see any rust flying around. Also, it crumpled exactly like old cars used to, with all the body panels folding back like paper since they weren't reinforced at all. Also, despite all that damage, that thing's probably fixable. Just straighten the frame and replace all the twisted body parts. Even the roof will undent just fine. Might drive a little funky and the doors won't close perfect, but a good body guy can get it to look like it was brand new.

Crashing in an old car is like being pushed off a building while locked in a safe. The safe is barely dented, you however... will be dented.

Crashing in a new car is like being pushed off a building while sitting in the middle of a big hexagon ball of cardboard boxes. The fall with destroy most of the boxes, but you should come out of it alright.

Friday, September 11, 2009 7:16 AM
Sad to see but cool at the same time.

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Friday, September 11, 2009 8:49 AM
Knoxfire Esquire wrote:When I was a kid, the junkyards were littered with slightly dented cars whose front seats were full of blood. Sure, the car was fixable, but the guy who owned it usually wasn't able to do more than breathe through a tube. Another thing you don't see today are the racecar driver "tattoo", which is a never-fading bruise in the shape of the bottom of a steering wheel under your ribcage.

That old Chevy was probably completely restored for that test since I didn't see any rust flying around. Also, it crumpled exactly like old cars used to, with all the body panels folding back like paper since they weren't reinforced at all. Also, despite all that damage, that thing's probably fixable. Just straighten the frame and replace all the twisted body parts. Even the roof will undent just fine. Might drive a little funky and the doors won't close perfect, but a good body guy can get it to look like it was brand new.

Crashing in an old car is like being pushed off a building while locked in a safe. The safe is barely dented, you however... will be dented.

Crashing in a new car is like being pushed off a building while sitting in the middle of a big hexagon ball of cardboard boxes. The fall with destroy most of the boxes, but you should come out of it alright.

You mean like how this guy was bragging about his truck: clicky

O noes!
Friday, September 11, 2009 9:00 AM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:Glad to see it. I hate when people come to my work and while I'm writing a estimate or something say that(they dont make them like they used to) or if it was a older car they wouldn't need to get anything fixed.

I wonder how many people make comments like that based on the costs of the repairs, assuming that the the higher cost of repairing the newer car is because it had more damage.

They design cars so that the passenger cabin is the strongest part on them, and everything else crumples around it. Something they did not do with the older cars. Also, while the newer cars have smaller engine compartments, and you can't usually see the frame, there is plenty of reinforcement there. I'm not really surprized the new Malibu came out better, but I am surprized at just how bad the Bell Aire folded. I've seen plenty of old cars with the suspension stuffed up under them, but the frame still intact.

Friday, September 11, 2009 9:06 AM
The01Cav wrote:Ashame to see that chevy destroyed, but it also makes me wonder how much of a basket case that car actually was for them to use it as a test mule like that.

Did you see all the brown dust coming off of it after the crash? The whole thing was a giant rust bucket.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search