My tow rig project- old school style - Page 6 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: My tow rig project- old school style
Sunday, October 18, 2009 11:57 AM
wow a frighn show winner tow truck for a show winner car!!!! damn nice work

Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:34 PM
wow really nice work your truck gone a be sick

Sunday, October 18, 2009 7:34 PM
this is the most fitting image for this build...

looks awesome!!!

Sunday, October 18, 2009 8:01 PM
Godspeed wrote:is that snow on the ground off in the distance AND clothes drying on the line?!! CLASSIC!

this is one of the best build threads on JBO!

Those are plastic wrapped round hay bales Besides clothes smell better when they hang in the cold, lol

Joker -- Now Beretta Pimpin wrote:thats 1 sick truck man. keep it up . do some wild color with some heavy metal flake

Thanks for the compliment. Deffinately no metal flake, more toward the flat side of things- its gotta be old school. will be a similar colour to what it is (kind of) right now.

Mr. Michael T Drennan wrote:I hope nothing ever goes wrong with the 5th wheel Or king pin on the trailer or else you will be headless

The fifth wheel assembly itself bolts to the plates that are welded to the frame, so it is removable.

azncav ( the DROPPED top) wrote:man thats sick. i think a flat bed would have looked better, with an optional 5th wheel.

i know its a toy but you get the idea.

Thats an idea but the be would need to be quite high to clear the tires and would make it look less low. THis is just the way i have always pictured this truck. The space between the cab and the rear notch will have a box up to bottom of the window height for storage, tool boxes, possibly a welder, and a pair of kegs. Plan to have external mounts for speakers, and a few other little details.

_

Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Monday, October 19, 2009 4:00 AM
alot of old school hot rods or hot rods back in the day didnt go with flat paint. they went with flames or heavy metal flaked colors . look at the movie grease lighting the 46 Ford that was white with metal flake red flames

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:48 PM
very true about the metal flake... but also very true about the flat paint. at the end of the day it is your car and i personally think that any way that you paint it it is going to be the sexiest (and lowest) tow rig [color=red]EVER

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:17 PM
lafonjef wrote:very true about the metal flake... but also very true about the flat paint. at the end of the day it is your car and i personally think that any way that you paint it it is going to be the sexiest (and lowest) tow rig [color=red]EVER

Thanks. This truck has been a pale yellow in my head since the plans were first dreamed up, i cant picture it and wouldnt have it any other way. I have tried picturing it in many colours but none have seemed so fitting and perfect as far as i am concerned.

_

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:15 PM
are you going to just to the yellow? or are there accent plans in store?

Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:20 AM
Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:03 AM
sndsgood wrote:paint it like my buddies old tow truck

a TON of win in this pic

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, October 22, 2009 9:52 AM
the Jew( the anti-sleeved eco) wrote:
sndsgood wrote:paint it like my buddies old tow truck

a TON of win in this pic

LOVE it. I am getting very inspired about my next tow rig

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:36 AM
ill hold judgment til i see a finished product...

i dont know, i can respect the work but its just not my thing.

I must confess... I feel like a monster!
Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:54 AM
ANYTHING i've imagined so far that is slammed to the ground on bags... amazing... think about it... ANYTHING this i would sell any un-neccessary apendages on ebay to build or buy im so into this stuff more pics!!!!!

Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:31 AM
I still say it needs to be chopped.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:04 PM
This, is, awesome....

Awesome work man, can't wait to see where you go with it.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:15 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:I still say it needs to be chopped.

This idea is WIN but you need a lot of room with an air suspension seat because there is a butt ton of travel in them so you need the room.'
Non suspension seats are not an option unless your insurance covers kidney transplants for free.

Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:57 PM
The rigid mounted cab is another argument for the suspension seats. I'm down with that!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:21 PM
Mr. Michael T Drennan wrote:
Quiklilcav wrote:I still say it needs to be chopped.

This idea is WIN but you need a lot of room with an air suspension seat because there is a butt ton of travel in them so you need the room.'
Non suspension seats are not an option unless your insurance covers kidney transplants for free.

Lol, its not getting an air ride seat. The cab is not solid mounted to the frame, it has rubber mounts under it. The truck gets full lift at very low pressure due to bag size so it should ride like a caddilac, and i have yet to be in a bagged vehicle that doesnt ride well.
My girlfriend is recovering an old GM truck bench seat so we can cruise redneck style- her sitting in the middle

The paint on the above truck is awesome! I plan to daily drive this truck so an intricate paint scheme isnt an option- and i want a simple clean look- this was suppose to be a quick simple budget build- it somehow got a little off track of those original goals

_

Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:02 PM
i drove a Mack with an air suspenson cab and seats, even with all that itwas still an uncomfortable ride. I believe you will live and learn with your bench seat idea.

Friday, October 23, 2009 4:28 AM
Mr. Michael T Drennan wrote:i drove a Mack with an air suspenson cab and seats, even with all that itwas still an uncomfortable ride. I believe you will live and learn with your bench seat idea.

You need to think more bagged f350, less dumptruck. It is shorter and likely lighter than a f350 dually (rear axle and front hubs are from an e350) Its a whole different animal, dump trucks are setup up for an awfull lot more weight carrying ('sprung' heavy), and are exponentially heavier- i am convinced it will be fine and actually lean to thinking it might be a little too soft of a ride.

_

Friday, October 23, 2009 10:46 AM
daily drive it?!

i hope you own a gas station...

I must confess... I feel like a monster!

Friday, October 23, 2009 3:18 PM
z yaaaa wrote:daily drive it?!

i hope you own a gas station...

Diesel, and not straight diesel either

_

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:32 PM
Hmmmmm....propane injection perhaps?

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:11 PM
slvrblit wrote:Hmmmmm....propane injection perhaps?

No, although that may be fun. It will be mixed fuels- the free stuff (veg oil) Have about 450 liters stock piled so far.

_

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:55 PM
Homemade biodiesel?

"Project 69'"
1969 Chevrolet C/10, 1/2 ton, 2wd
-Boosted LS1?
-Richmond ROD 6-speed(will get sometime)
-Posi 12-bolt(built w/eaton posi unit and richmond 3.73 gears)
-Disc brake and 5 lug swap
+little extras
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search