2011 Chevrolet Cruze - Page 7 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze
Monday, February 14, 2011 2:20 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:
Skilz10179 wrote:I just read 6 pages of people complaining about an economy car that only makes 138hp lol. Its a @!#$in economy car, get over it! Its decent looking, gets 42 mpg, turbocharged, great warranty, 6 speed manual, under $20K, what's not to like? I'm in the market for a new car and this is the only american car that even interests me, props to gm!
Um, the fact that it's turbocharged does not in itself make it great. My gripe is there is just no excuse for not being well above 100hp/L on a turbocharged 4-cylinder. There are plenty of n/a engines out there with better specific output that also achieve decent fuel mileage. 138-hp may be adequate for the job, but (in my opinion), if they go through the cost and engineering to turbocharge this powerplant, why not competitively more? Would 170-180hp really be so hard? Would it affect highway gas mileage? Would it affect price? Would it differentiate the 1.4t model more significantly from the base 1.8 n/a model? That's where I was coming from.

THE ONLY REASON FOR A TURBO ON A 4 CYLINDER IS NOT FOR POWER, RICER MINDED PUTZ. Jesus dude.. You know the manufacturers do that to have a lightweight motor with good gas mileage, right?
Jesus dude! Jesus!!! DUDE!! Lol whatever you say, chief! How much lighter do you think the 1.4t is than that 1.8? I bet they are within less than 50lbs of each other. That's pretty fkn stupid reasoning when you are talking about an n/a 4-cyl vs a turbo 4-cyl. If they were replacing a V6 that logic would fit better. And it addresses none of the points I made above. In any case, it doesn't really matter to me. In my eyes GM now has the corvette and the camaro to modify for real power. They seem to have excluded themselves from what we would consider 4-cylinder power with these entries. 42 mpg highway is nice though; that is a big accomplishment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 14, 2011 5:21 AM

Monday, February 14, 2011 1:51 PM
Jeremy I drove one a week or so ago while my Cobalt was getting serviced. You're going to be SERIOUSLY disappointed in it after driving it. On paper it all sounds good. In pictures it looks appealing. But it's seriously, seriously lacking any power at all. And I'm not talking tuner, blasting off from stop light power...I'm saying usable power. The car is the most severely underpowered car I've ever driven, ever. Please let us know what you thought of it though, I'm curious what your thoughts about it are man.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:13 PM
GM just made a better Civic, Corolla. Will it win stoplight races... ofcourse yes, especially the Veyron! Seriously, the Cruze is the best compact GM built, it finally beat out the Saturn S-series. I still think Saturn are a bit more fun to drive as it weighs in about 700-800lbs less with a all independent suspension. Now when you compare the Cruze to the Civic or Corolla (all being autos) the Cruze feels the quickest, (I was fortunate to drive all of them back to back in a press launch). Not to mention Cruzes with Watt's linkage was the most controled car too. The Eco version is a notch down to Corolla or Civic in handling, but even peppier in th straight line. I dunno, but I turned out liking the Eco manual so much, that I'm considering one in the future, especailly with the projected $5+ per gallon fuel price in the coming years.
This Cruze is NO drag race warrior, but a competent car it is. Is there better cars? Yes, I think the 2011 Elantra and 2012 Focus are strong competitors, the new Civic will bring better things to the table including a 2.4L I4 found on the TSX. We will see how GM will respond in the future, but atleast I can say the Cruze is (finally for the 21 century) a solid platform to work on.

But for starters the Eco with the 6 speed manual is the only one that hits EPA's 42MPG. The automatics will net you EPA 37MPG. Now the way it achives its high highway milage is mainly by the transmission with a tall 6th and a Final drive: 3.83:1... the tallest of the three trannies Cruze's offer. Also the active front air damn that closes to reduce front turbulance, and low rolling resistant tires
Then you have a lot of lightening:
smaller gas tank 15.6g to 12.6g
The Watt's linkage (GM Z-link) is removed (manual)
Rear axle is thinner
Less sound deadening material. Well this what GM says on it. I probably already posted before.

New Chevrolet Cruze Eco Achieves Segment-Leading 42 MPG On The Highway
Hybrid-Like Fuel Economy Starts at $18,895; Goes on Sale in January

The official fuel economy numbers for the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco are in and they’re good. Segment-leading good. It delivers an EPA-estimated 42 mpg on the highway (manual transmission models), with equally impressive city fuel economy of 28 mpg.

Cruze Eco’s highway fuel economy beats non-hybrid segment competitors – including 23 percent greater highway fuel economy than the Honda Civic – as well as the Ford Fiesta subcompact and many hybrid models. In fact, it’s better than Ford Fusion Hybrid, Nissan Altima Hybrid and Toyota Camry Hybrid.

“Chevrolet Cruze continues to redefine the compact segment, offering class-leading standard safety features, upscale amenities – as well as hybrid-like fuel economy without the price,” said Chuck Russell, vehicle line director. “The Cruze Eco is in a league of its own and will challenge perceptions of the efficiency available in a more affordable non-hybrid.”

The Cruze Eco carries an MSRP of $18,895 (including destination charge). It goes on sale in January.

To achieve its segment-leading fuel economy, Cruze’s engineers focused on aerodynamic performance, mass optimization and powertrain enhancements. The refinements in each area paid big dividends towards the car’s overall efficiency, while providing engineers with valuable information to help enhance the efficiency of future Chevrolet models.

“We left no stone unturned or piece of sheet metal un-weighed,” said Russell. “Our engineers were comprehensive and thorough when it came to evaluating and modifying the aspects of the car’s performance that contribute to fuel economy.”

Aero enhancements

Aerodynamic improvements over non-Eco manual-transmission models contributed approximately six mpg to the Cruze’s EPA-estimated 42 mpg highway fuel economy. Many were developed and refined in more than 500 hours of wind-tunnel testing of the Chevy Volt, which shares a core architecture with the Cruze. Examples include the upper grille, which has more “closeouts” to improve aerodynamics, a lower front air dam extension, a rear spoiler, a lowered ride height and underbody panels that smooth airflow beneath the car.

The Eco model also features an all-new technology in the compact segment: a lower front grille air shutter that closes at higher speeds to reduce aerodynamic drag and opens at lower speeds to optimize engine-cooling airflow. Another contributor to reduced drag is the use of ultra-low rolling resistance 17-inch Goodyear tires (used with lightweight wheels), which are also used on the Volt.

As a result of the aero enhancements, aerodynamic drag was reduced by 10 percent over a non-Eco model, with a coefficient of drag of 0.298. That places Cruze at the top of the class for mainstream compact cars.

Mass optimization

More than 42 changes were made on the Eco to reduce weight. It weighs in at 3,009 pounds (1,365 kg), compared to the 3,223 pounds (1,462 kg) of the Cruze 1LT. The diet program for the Cruze challenged engineers to look at all aspects of the vehicle’s construction, including hundreds of weld flanges on the vehicle. They were reduced 1 mm to 2 mm in length, which saved several pounds, while the sheet metal gauge thickness was reduced by about 0.1 mm in select components. This saved weight while preserving structural integrity.

Lighter wheels and tires are used on the Eco. They’re stylish, polished 17-inch alloy units with Goodyear tires that weigh only 36.5 pounds (16.6 kg) apiece. That’s 5.3 pounds (2.4 kg) less than the 16-inch wheel/tires of the Cruze 1LT for a complete savings to the vehicle of 21.2 pounds (9.6 kg).

Efficient powertrain

Cruze Eco is powered by power-dense Ecotec 1.4L turbocharged engine and a standard six-speed manual transmission. The transmission’s gearing is optimized for the model’s specific 17-inch wheel/tire combination and includes aggressive ratios for first and second gear coupled with a highly efficient, “taller” sixth-gear ratio for highway driving. That means engine rpm is reduced on the highway, which in turn reduces fuel consumption. A six-speed automatic transmission is available, with EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 26 city and 37 highway.

The Ecotec 1.4L turbo’s power ratings are 138 horsepower (103 kW) and 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm) between 1,850 rpm and 4,900 rpm. The wide rpm range for the maximum torque – a specific trait of turbocharged engines – helps the engine deliver a better driving experience and performance. The turbocharger is integrated within the exhaust manifold, for reduced weight and greater packaging flexibility.

The engine also features premium design elements that give it world-class smoothness and durability while also contributing to the Cruze Eco’s lower curb weight. They include a cast iron block with a hollow frame structure, hollow-cast camshafts and a plastic intake manifold.

Comparing the competitors

As a result of aerodynamic improvements, mass reduction and powertrain optimization, the Cruze Eco offers the best fuel economy in the compact segment, while delivering hybrid-like fuel economy without the hybrid price. The following charts show how it compares with primary competitors and popular hybrids.

Cruze Eco vs. segment competitors

Model
EPA City Fuel Economy
EPA Highway Fuel Economy

2011Chevrolet Cruze Eco
28 mpg
42 mpg

2011 Toyota Corolla
26 mpg
35 mpg

2011 Honda Civic
26 mpg
34 mpg

2011 Ford Focus
25 mpg
35 mpg

2010 Hyundai Elantra
26 mpg
35 mpg

Cruze Eco vs. hybrids

Model
EPA City Fuel Economy
EPA Highway Fuel Economy
Price

Chevrolet Cruze Eco
28 mpg
42 mpg
$18,895

Ford Fusion Hybrid
41 mpg
36 mpg
$27,950

Nissan Altima Hybrid
35 mpg
33 mpg
$26,780

Toyota Camry Hybrid
33 mpg
34 mpg
$26,150

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, February 14, 2011 3:59 PM
Jookycola wrote:Jeremy I drove one a week or so ago while my Cobalt was getting serviced. You're going to be SERIOUSLY disappointed in it after driving it. On paper it all sounds good. In pictures it looks appealing. But it's seriously, seriously lacking any power at all. And I'm not talking tuner, blasting off from stop light power...I'm saying usable power. The car is the most severely underpowered car I've ever driven, ever. Please let us know what you thought of it though, I'm curious what your thoughts about it are man.

Did you drive the Eco model or what it one of the LT's, also was it manual or auto? Seems like it should feel pretty peepy off the line due to it making such good low end torque, i guess i'll find out when i make it to a dealer that has a Eco in stock...

Mr.Googwrench, good info!

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Monday, February 14, 2011 5:32 PM
It was a loaded Crystal Red Metallic LTZ. 1.4 turbo with manual. The price was amazing $21,249.
Yes, the build quality was...wow.
The cabins quiet'ness was, really unexpected for such an inexpensive car.
But seriously it couldn't get out of it's own way. Jeremy you know I know what a slow car is...I've driven a Tracker for the last decade. I'm not trying to base my opinion on Speed or racing, since that's not what counts or what you are looking for. But I'm just saying you will be amazed at how undeniably slow this car is, it really will catch you off guard. It felt like they put an Aveo motor in a Tahoe, it's just incredibly pokey. But if you are looking for a well built new car with a warranty and gets great mpg's, I can't fault it...it's a great car. But after the kind of cars you've been used to drive this will be amazingly slow to you. But hey, I loved my Tracker, it was slow, but so totally fun to drive. So it's just something you have to get used to.

Monday, February 14, 2011 5:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I though only the ECO models with the turbos came with the 6 speed manuals?

www.gmofhouston.com
Monday, February 14, 2011 7:36 PM
GM_Mike wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I though only the ECO models with the turbos came with the 6 speed manuals?

you are correct, i meant 6 speed auto. color me retarded. He was talking about the eco and a manual and that's what stuck in my head as i furiously typed that on my phone.
LOL
The car i drove was the 6-speed auto, not the manual. but everything I'm reading says the self rowing gears are not much peppier than the slushbox...which I'd like to add was pretty smooth.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:58 AM
GM_Mike wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I though only the ECO models with the turbos came with the 6 speed manuals?

You can get the Eco model with a auto or manual, both are 6 speeds.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:57 AM
I have no doubt that the interior quality is amazing, and that the price for features and quality you are getting is great. Fuel mileage is also a huge plus. But Jooky's review is exactly what i'm talking about. In terms of acceleration it probably feels like an eco jbody with four extra passengers. I'm very much looking forward to more reviews from you guys.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:10 PM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:I have no doubt that the interior quality is amazing, and that the price for features and quality you are getting is great. Fuel mileage is also a huge plus. But Jooky's review is exactly what i'm talking about. In terms of acceleration it probably feels like an eco jbody with four extra passengers. I'm very much looking forward to more reviews from you guys.

gm is good at faking the "look" of interior quality.

Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
Cruze Eco vs. hybrids

Model
EPA City Fuel Economy
EPA Highway Fuel Economy
Price

Chevrolet Cruze Eco
28 mpg
42 mpg
$18,895

Ford Fusion Hybrid
41 mpg
36 mpg
$27,950

Nissan Altima Hybrid
35 mpg
33 mpg
$26,780

Toyota Camry Hybrid
33 mpg
34 mpg
$26,150

all the hybrids are mid sized cars. not really a fair comparison IMO.

Think i will go drive one sometime this week

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:30 PM
Brought one home from work two month's ago, started with 4 miles on it, returned it with 200ish.

I loved the build quality, the interior, the layout, I found it very comfortable.

While it's not fast, I didn't find it slow enough to be afraid of driving it, and manual shift mode on the 6-speed auto was delightfully fun playing on a winding road. It's honestly an economic car I'd like to buy, do some suspension on, some nice fitted wheels, and rock it.

Friday, February 25, 2011 3:45 AM
So what's the word on an "SS" model? I read a blub in motor trend stating 2013 is the year, 2.0 ecotec turbo, suspension goodies and exterior bling

Friday, February 25, 2011 9:07 AM
For now, it is just "here-say" as nothing have been confirmed, but yes... expect a higher performance model. What engine? Remains to be seen (a possible Opel OPC's Ecotec is not far fetched), as Cruze abandoned the American Ecotecs. Only Verano carries a American Ecotec. So we'll see what GM sends out in the future.
But there is a STRONG consideration for a diesel version (2.0L "VCDi" found in Europe and Australia) of the Cruze for 2013.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, February 25, 2011 9:49 AM
Stephen wrote:gm is good at faking the "look" of interior quality.

QFT.

But the Cruze I drove seemed well put together. But then again i thought my Z24 was awesome during the test drive....the next 5 years i owned was a totally different story.

Friday, February 25, 2011 9:59 AM
It is called "perceived quality." German cars are herald as kings in this group, down the road, the crown just falls as quality fall inside and out. GM, during Lutz's years, push hard to improve "perceived quality." Remember how GM was in the past with their fit and finish and overall quality of the car or certain cars.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, February 25, 2011 11:21 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Another update from GM:

-New model to build on global success of Chevrolet's favorite car
-Cruze hatchback cements Chevrolet's mainstream credentials in Europe
-One of seven new entries in centenary year

Zurich. Chevrolet's award-winning – and now World Touring Car Championship (WTCC)-winning – Cruze will further enhance its credentials this year when the new hatchback version goes on sale in spring. The full production model makes its world premiere at the 81st international Geneva Motor Show, March 3 – 11.

The timing of the new model couldn't be better for Chevrolet, with the manufacturer being crowned World Touring Car Champions in December for the first time. Chevrolet's racing success proves the dynamic potential and qualities of the Cruze, while the launch of a new 5-door hatchback model in addition to the sedan, is further evidence of Chevrolet's intention to bring value for money to the mainstream segments of the European market.

A show car version of Chevrolet's compact contender was shown at the Paris Motor Show last September, and was warmly received.

Sales of the Cruze last year surpassed the Aveo to become Chevrolet's top selling passenger car nameplate globally. Since its launch in the spring 2009, the Cruze sedan has been warmly welcomed by markets all over the world, greeted as a step change for the brand with customers attracted to its coupe style, build quality, 5-star NCAP rating and driving dynamics. It was also elected the AUTOBEST car of 2010 by a jury of leading auto writers in Central and Eastern Europe.

The introduction of the new Cruze hatchback is critical in Europe, as Wayne Brannon, president and managing director of Chevrolet Europe explains. "Hatchbacks play a critical role in many markets. The total compact segment in Europe represents over a quarter of the total market, with hatchbacks representing around 65% of that volume.

"The new Cruze hatchback cements that Chevrolet's claim for a place among the mainstream brands in Europe, and it's a vehicle that will bring new levels of value against some of the more established competition."

Hatchback design

With its attractive sweeping coupe roofline and short overhangs at both the front and rear, the new Cruze hatchback has the same dynamic 'stance' as the sedan and will be instantly recognizable.

It will benefit too from the same taut body 'feel' on the road, being built using the new body-frame integral system (BFI) which is complemented by the final tuning to chassis components. The BFI system results in high levels of stability and solidity. Indeed the Chevrolet Cruze is a car particularly well suited to European driver tastes, a fact borne out by sales across many of the markets and where in 2010, it exceeded forecasts.

Cargo capacity for the Cruze hatchback is close to 400 liters and it will feature 60/40 split rear seating.

The new Chevrolet Cruze 5-door hatchback will go on sale across Europe in mid 2011 with prices announced nearer the launch date.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:00 AM
alright. a Cruze MAXX. lmao

Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:28 AM
Drop a 2.2l N/A Ecotec in it and that would be golden

Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:36 AM
How in the hell would that make it golden when the baby Eco it has produces the same horsepower, get's better MPG, and can produce more horsepower for less money.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:02 PM
Why the fawk did they change the front and rear bumper designs? Goddamnit, the show car looked so classy and had a certain sexyness to it. This looks like a rehashed MAXX....wtf were they thinking lol?

Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:05 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:How in the hell would that make it golden when the baby Eco it has produces the same horsepower, get's better MPG, and can produce more horsepower for less money.
Are you referring to the fact that you can tune the 1.4t for some more power? I agree that is cheap, but what about when you get the urge for over 200hp? LOL.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:16 PM
Back from testing a Cruze...

I had the all-in model with the 1.4t engine. Interior does look nice and well made maybe some odd choice material in some areas. Very comfy ride. Body assembly looked A+ in my book and the paint was flawless. No wind noise at high speeds. I'm no automobile specialist but the car I had was very well put together.

I took a 135 km ride with it. Very very smooth ride. I loved the car! My only complaint.....The gutless hunk of metal they call an engine. I know this car isn't made to be a drag strip sleeper but fu ck! I thought my girlfriend's Nissan Versa was quite a slow burrito but this one takes the cake. I live in an area with many hills and this car is just dangerous for the following drivers. The auto trans kept shifting like crazy and I'm not sure this car will achieve outstanding gas mileage, in my area lol. But this is just my opinion.

Other than that I sure would buy this car over a Corolla,anyday. Just put a damn engine in there.
Saturday, February 26, 2011 5:06 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:How in the hell would that make it golden when the baby Eco it has produces the same horsepower, get's better MPG, and can produce more horsepower for less money.

ummmm?
Quote:

1.4Lt Ecotec I4 - 138 horsepower and 148 lb.-ft. of torque

The same power? You sure?
Quote:

2.2 L Ecotec LAP I4 - 155 hp and 150 lb.·ft. of torque

The N/A 2.2 Ecotec produces more hp and more torque without any tricks. (i.e. direct injection, turbocharging, etc.) and when turbocharged in the after market it can produce well over 200hp. It's efficient, it has modest power when you need it, and it's proven to be extremely reliable...What are you smoking?

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:37 AM
to you boy racers it may come as a surprise but about 90% of people that are buying a sub 25k car could care less how fast it goes

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, March 07, 2011 8:22 PM
Whats the deal with the GM cookie cutter dash @!#$. Why don't they just do away with brand identity and file everything under the GM name if they are going to just keep making redundant vehicles. This parts bin stuff has to stop, or there isnt going to be a GM.

Click the banner to enter the best Quad4 & Twin Cam site on the internet.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search