GM built the last Pontiac for the U.S. market - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM built the last Pontiac for the U.S. market
Sunday, November 29, 2009 2:06 PM
Damn you GM!

http://www.detnews.com/article/20091126/AUTO01/911260411/1148/auto01/Pontiac-reaches-end-of-the-line
Quote:

Pontiac reaches end of the line
David Phillips / Special  to The Detroit News
Orion Township -- The ride is over for the brand that put rolling excitement on the road for generations of Americans.

General Motors Co. built the last Pontiac for the U.S. market Wednesday: a white, G6 sedan that rolled off the assembly line in Orion Township around 12:45 p.m.

There was no cake or commemorative banner or senior GM official on hand, and no media were allowed: just a group of "final process" workers to oversee the last 100 G6 models assembled.

"We're focused on a quality build-out for the customer," said GM spokesman Kevin Nadrowski.

Many workers stopped to pose for photos with the last cars as they moved down the assembly line.

It was a subdued goodbye for an 82-year-old brand that debuted under the bright lights of the New York Auto Show in 1926.

GM announced in April that it would phase out Pontiac as part of a bailout orchestrated by the U.S. government.

Unlike the last Oldsmobile, an Alero signed by hundreds of plant workers and donated to the R.E. Olds Transportation Museum in Lansing, the final G6 models will be sold as part of a fleet order.

For some Pontiac enthusiasts, it's an inglorious ending for a car line that popularized Silver Streak styling in the 1930s and defined the muscle car era.

The Orion Township plant will be idled and retooled to produce a new small car in 2011.

"We want to survive the next 18 months until we start building GM's next small car," said Pat Sweeney, president of UAW Local 5960, the union that represents workers at the factory.

Sweeney said it was a bittersweet time for the plant's 2,400 employees.

Many of the same workers were building the Oldsmobile Aurora sedan when GM decided to discontinue Olds in December 2000.

In December, the automaker will end production of the Pontiac G3 Wave, a subcompact built in Mexico and sold only in Canada -- marking the official end of production for the brand.

Launched in 1926 as a companion to GM's Oakland division, Pontiac is the third best-selling automobile line of all time in the United States, behind Chevrolet and Ford.

Under GM's brand hierarchy, it was slotted above Chevrolet and below Oldsmobile, and was favored for years by schoolteachers, the cast of "I Love Lucy," and other middle-class wage earners.

But it was during the 1960s that the division came into its own, capitalizing on America's growing thirst for racing and unbridled performance with muscle cars such as the GTO and Firebird.

More than any other GM brand, Pontiac epitomized performance, speed and sex appeal.

"It was the car teenage boys lusted after and teenage girls hoped to be seen in," said Bob Casey, automotive historian and curator of transportation at The Henry Ford museum in Dearborn.

Rivals were forced to follow with similar muscle cars, giving Detroit automakers bragging rights over the cars that Japanese rivals were marketing based on fuel economy, quality and reliability.

Pontiac's U.S. sales peaked in 1984 at almost 850,000 vehicles, roughly four times as many as it sold last year. Over 83 years, Pontiac sold some 41 million cars and trucks, Automotive News estimates.

For some Pontiac fans, the beginning of the end came during the 1970s, when fuel economy concerns forced GM and other automakers to downsize cars.

Foreign competition and a lack of differentiation from other GM models steadily eroded Pontiac's customer base.

As its U.S. market share steadily dropped from around 50 percent in the 1960s, analysts repeatedly called for GM to trim its bloated lineup and focus on two or three divisions.

As it did with Oldsmobile in the 1990s, GM tried to resurrect Pontiac in recent years with new rear-wheel drive performance models such as the G8 sports sedan and the Solstice roadster.

Venerable names and models like Bonneville, Grand Prix, Firebird and Grand Am were retired.

But it also continued to market vehicles such as the G3, G5 and Torrent that were not much different than Chevy models. And it relied too heavily on fleet customers and struggled to become profitable again.

"Most Pontiacs haven't been hot in years," Casey said. "The consumption ladder that GM used for years -- a car for every purse and purpose -- no longer worked in the U.S. market."

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: GM built the last Pontiac for the U.S. market
Sunday, November 29, 2009 6:31 PM
Sunday, November 29, 2009 11:01 PM
slick02eco wrote:Good.
GOOD? STFU ASS HOLE

Windy City TurboZ
Sunday, November 29, 2009 11:41 PM
GM definitely needed to cut some brands and refocus on a smaller core and Pontiac was a good start. It is depressing to see the Solstice and G8 not live on.

Monday, November 30, 2009 7:52 AM
Should have focused on Chevy, Pontiac, and GMC in my opinion

Monday, November 30, 2009 10:06 AM
IMO GM should have focused on:

Cadillac: for the obvious and not change a thing.
Chevrolet: Drop the SS line and keep their trucks... Ease of dealer access over GMC.
Pontiac: All of Chevy's SS GM Performance Cars will be here and RWD/AWD cars for the masses.
Oldsmobile: Leading technology for the masses, What Buick is becoming, but with Olds name. Place Opel brand cars here too. Oldsmobile has 110 year US history, keep it.
Saturn: Go back to their roots and now compete with the Korean and low priced rival sub-compact, compact, and bring boxy model too. Polymer panel a must.

Drop GMC, Buick

What's is so sad that the last Pontiac will not be preserved.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Monday, November 30, 2009 10:35 AM
I really just don't get it. Why drop Pontiac over GMC? How can I be the only one that thinks GMC is the most redundant and unnecessary brand on the planet?

I could understand if GMC was needed for the big truck division, but correct me if i'm wrong...didn't they cancel the top-kick large GMC truck??? It just made no sense, and the fact that GM chose Pontiac over GMC will always be a glaring example that this company is too stupid for they're own good.

2007 Corvette Z51 | Suzuki Swift GTi SCCA racer | 2008 Edge
Monday, November 30, 2009 10:50 AM
GMC is completely redudant to Chevy, it should have been the one to go, not Pontiac. Granted Pontiac has made some butt ugly cars (With exception of the 01 GP and Solstice, G6 GT ) in the last 15 years, so maybe they do deserve it, if nothing else for the fu cking Aztec and G6 GXP (factory rice garbage).

Hahn Stage II - Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Monday, November 30, 2009 11:04 AM
i highly doubt this will be the last of pontiac.

some day it will re-emerge.

Stand in the corner and SCREAM with me!!!!
Monday, November 30, 2009 12:39 PM
z yaaaa wrote:i highly doubt this will be the last of pontiac.

yep, im sure some import company is ready to by the brand name lol

Monday, November 30, 2009 3:32 PM
i have a feeling it will come back as well it may take 10 or so years

Monday, November 30, 2009 3:59 PM
Evol...??? wrote:I really just don't get it. Why drop Pontiac over GMC? How can I be the only one that thinks GMC is the most redundant and unnecessary brand on the planet?

I could understand if GMC was needed for the big truck division, but correct me if i'm wrong...didn't they cancel the top-kick large GMC truck??? It just made no sense, and the fact that GM chose Pontiac over GMC will always be a glaring example that this company is too stupid for they're own good.

GMC = profits for GM and there's people who will NOT buy a Chevy even if it's the same platform.

Most GMC's are different enough from their Chevy counterpart's anyways to constitute the higher price.
Monday, November 30, 2009 4:34 PM
z yaaaa wrote:i highly doubt this will be the last of pontiac.

I really hope someone is hearing, Bub Lutz, God, Chuck Norris, Allah, because really there is a buisness case for Pontiac to stay alive; as this brand was the 3rd best selling domestic brand in the North America. Behind only to Chevrolet and Ford.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, December 01, 2009 8:21 AM
The least GM could've done is let Pontiac go out like a lion and make the last Pontiacs the G8 GT & GXP's instead of the G6. I hope to god they fired some of the morons who screwed GM up in the late 1990's early 2000's, otherwise GM as we know it will only be around for another decade if even that long.
It's interesting to look back on the past few years of GM corporate's decisions. They could've had the Camaro out probably 2 years ago if they wouldn't have decided to halt engineering of the zeta platform to speed up engineering of the truck/suv platform which turned out to be a huge mistake due to the gas price spike. They could've left Saturn alone with just the S series and maybe a small SUV and midsize sedan but instead decided to flood their showrooms with Olds knockoffs after they killed Oldsmobile.
Unless they can get Buicks to sell they'll probabaly phase them out here within the next decade but keep them going in China.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search