The Buick. - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: The Buick.
Saturday, May 01, 2010 7:16 PM
I'm definitely enjoying it, it's a completely different world than I'm used to with J's

We picked up a couple small things from Summit, new valve cover T bolts, and plug wire separators. I have no idea what my Dad was thinking when he ran the wires though... I think they look stupid... lol. I'll fix them one of these days.

We sand blasted and painted the battery box, and then moved it down into the wheel well. We can't put it in the trunk until the fuel cell is removed, since gas fumes + spark source = bad idea. It's out of the way and hidden now, it should look much better.

The new recored radiator showed up Thursday, now with a built in transmission cooler. So I installed and wired the electric fan and radiator today, it came with a thermo switch that kicks it on automatically at 185F and turns it off at 165F.

The wiring harness that came with the fan had an over ride wired in already, so I hid a switch under the dash for the occasional chance that we get stuck in traffic.

I also took the chance to set up a nice switched power rail with a 30 amp relay. I had a ground block already, so we just machined a cover for it out of UHMW to keep it insulated

Hopefully we can get the front end bolted on tomorrow and go for a cruise.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 4:31 PM
Some decent progress. I figured I'd post pics of the 1940 Lesalle parts car we have

Flathead V8 with a whopping 100hp!

The rear door sills that we are going to put on the Buick

Who needs floors?

We got the seats mounted, new carpet in, and a boot for the brake pedal installed. I'm not so sure on the carpet, it's not bad though, and it was some extra we had laying around, so free is good

I can't seem to get my father to paint things black...

And I had some chrome pencil tips laying around, so we tacked them on

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:49 PM
Hm, I'm not so sure I like the carpet either, but hey free is good like you said. The seats are NICE, good work putting those in.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:13 PM
Thanks man

We broke an engine mount yesterday, so it's back up on jack stands for some more work, which always turns into WAAAAAY more work... lol

Lets hope it's back on the road quick, it's way to much fun to drive to be stuck in a garage half the summer.

Friday, May 28, 2010 1:43 AM
As a 57 Ford Fairlane owner I love the work being done but I hate the modern interior gauges. Buick designed beautiful gauges and those autometer's are a disgrace. Please get rid of them, for god sake.

How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Friday, May 28, 2010 7:13 AM
Let me know when you find some laying around that they don't want $500 for the set, haha. I understand your thought process but the car is so far from original already that it just isn't worth tracking down rare parts and paying an arm and a leg for something I'm gonna have to mess with all day to get working.

It's going to be a street rod, so original isn't really in the plans. I agree with you, they wouldn't have been the guages I would have picked, but it's function over form at the moment, once we get the suspention up to par we can start worrying about the smaller things.

Saturday, May 29, 2010 11:58 AM
We replaced both engine mounts, so it's back on the road

Also we picked up a couple amber LED signals at a swap meet a couple weeks ago, they're from a Harley, but I think they work pretty well. After a bit of messing with the wiring, they are working great Now people will stop looking at me funny when I'm sitting at a light waiting to turn left and signaling with my hand, haha.

The universal wiring harness just makes everything so easy on this car...

Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:40 PM
I dunno, they look out of place there I would have frenched some in under the headlights IMO.

Nice progress though!

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Saturday, May 29, 2010 5:41 PM
I like em

How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Sunday, May 30, 2010 3:31 PM
ill say this once if you hack this car up for drag racing ill kill you in your sleep !

i give you major props for hot rodding this car. itll make a sick hot rod or street rod. dont kill the looks of it with dumb stuff. dont magle good parts cuz these things are getting harder to find by the day. Do lower it some and ditch that obscure fuel cell or a stock tank .

i like what youve done sofar dont dissapoint me or the other antique/classic car lovers with destroying this

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Sunday, July 18, 2010 1:27 PM
We went to Syracuse Nationals yesterday, and grabbed some parts while we were down there.

New mirrors, now you don't need two people to back the damn thing up..

And a working glove compartment lock. Now you don't need a screw driver to get it open, haha

Sunday, July 18, 2010 1:33 PM
looks good man, now go back to the 60's and make some custom nerf bar bumpers for it and ur good to go.

good job with keeping it a stock body and not hacking it up

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Saturday, March 05, 2011 6:22 PM
With Spring getting close we've been throwing around ideas for the car. We found out the engine is from a '74 Vette and only has about 190hp, so we're hoping to swap to something with some more power.

We also need to cut the rear end off and mount it correctly, basically it doesn't have anything keeping the rear axle from floating side to side. The engine needs to be moved up and back, and the body needs to be mounted level. The previous owner is turning out to be a hack.

I've been reading up on LSX swaps, and right now I'm leaning towards a 5.3 truck engine with an LS1 intake manifold and fuel rails, it seems to be a much cheaper option than a full LS1 swap, and it only nets you about 10hp less. I've just got to convince my Dad that he wants to spend a couple grand on an engine swap, haha.

I picked up HPTuners to tune my Cav with, but it will also flash LSX engines, so I'll be able to turn off VATS and any other CEL's or systems we won't keep. Might even be able to pull some more power out of it with some VE tuning.

Now to find a wrecked truck for cheap...

Saturday, March 05, 2011 7:46 PM
a tuned port set up is a good way to get cheap and reliable and work into fuel injection. tbi is the easiest way to go and abundant in the junkyards.

Sunday, March 06, 2011 8:47 AM
mmmmm lsx in there for the win!

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:28 PM
I got home from work and walked into the garage to find a solid axle laying on the floor.... well, I guess I won't be using the lift any time soon... lol

So the rear axle, springs, drive shaft, exhaust and fuel cell are out of the car.

A peek in the diff...

My Dad's been collecting parts over the winter as well, I'll have to get some pictures of them once we lower the lift again, since they are in the back seat.

Before it goes back on the road we need shorter leaf springs, to add a 4th link to the rear axle, install the stock fuel tank and weld V band clamps on the headers so they stop leaking. I'd also really like to re-wire the whole engine bay since it's horrible, but that will have to wait a few weeks. I can't help but worry how long this thing is going to sit on the lift, hopefully we can get it back together soon.... and on air

Friday, April 22, 2011 7:46 AM
Loving the progress of this old betty. Now when shes completed you need to put a box in the bank full of full beet bottles cause thats what i look at every itme i see this car! moonshine runner! lol

Friday, April 22, 2011 9:40 AM
Hahaha, indeed.

Friday, April 22, 2011 9:50 AM
Loving it dude. Any word on the engine swap yet?

Friday, April 22, 2011 9:57 AM
I've been talking to some local guys and turns out you can get an aluminum block 5.3 out of a trailblazer (most 5.3's have iron blocks). And because very few people know about it there isn't much of a demand for them, so they are even cheaper than the iron block 5.3's. It will still be about $1500 for an engine, harness and ECU though, so it will be a while. The suspension is our priority at the moment, since it wasn't exactly safe when we bought it.

Friday, April 22, 2011 10:06 AM
Sounds like a good plan though. And yes, the current engine runs so keeping it straight should be priority.

Friday, April 22, 2011 9:43 PM
Today we pulled the transmission out for all new gaskets, it leaks like a siv, so it will be nice to not have to worry about that anymore.

And a picture of the interesting things we are finding, who needs triangulation, we'll just cut a main support off because it's in the way!...

We will be extending the original X frame back to the way it used to be.

Also plans are to move the brake booster higher than the frame, so we don't have to worry about ripping it off. We'll have to cut a hole in the floor for access after we raise it though.

Lastly we messed around with the placement of the rear axle, plans are to move it forward a bit to center it in the wheel well better, and we have all the materials to make a custom 4 link, hopefully with a Watts link instead of just a Panhard bar. The front drivers side where the '70's Nova front end was welded on is also crooked, so we need to cut a notch in the frame and straighten that corner out, and then weld it back together. The engine also needs to be raised and moved back, the drive shaft needs to be shortened, we're going to fab a new tranny mount to clear the exhaust better, and cut holes in the frame to run the exhaust through it for more ground clearance.

The plasma torch will be getting a work out

Thursday, April 28, 2011 9:42 AM
In FL you can get 5.3's with 50k for $350-$500.

FU Tuning

Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:30 AM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:In FL you can get 5.3's with 50k for $350-$500.

truth!!!!!

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:37 AM
ORLY!...

Freight is usually only about $200 to ship an engine isn't it?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search