GM exec goes blunt on the Cobalt - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: GM exec goes blunt on the Cobalt
Saturday, May 15, 2010 1:51 AM
Considering the take home price, Cobalt is a decent car.

My kid sister has one. It serves her well and costs very little to buy and maintain.

In any case, anyone listening to teenagers needs to give thier head a shake. It's rare to find one that doesn't have thier head up thier own ass.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:07 AM
i find that the fit and finish is better on a j-body for not only interior but body panels as well.

Don't know what ya got til they take it away...
Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:28 AM
I could argue fit and finish all day long though, my bumper fits horribly on my car, and door gaps aren't the tightest...but a j-body? That's like comparing apples to apples.

This is a dumb ass argument had I ever seen one.

Whatever happened to your custom order TC Brad?

Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:50 AM
There is a noticeable difference in build quality on the SS vs the base model. Even on the SSs though the 05s and 06s have ALOT more problems than the 07. None of the wheel paint chipping, no door panel leather coming undone, paint fading on the interior on the 07s like the 05-06s. The factory tune is also much better in the 07, there is a difference between all 3 years of the supercharged versions in HP tuners.

Honestly though, theres no way I would ever choose a L61 Cobalt over a L61 equipped Cavalier.

And for the morons that say a cobalt ss and a cavalier, the only real mechanical part shared is the water pump, it has much more in common with a Saab 9-3 as far as parts. Even that only applies to the supercharged ones, a LNF cobalt shares virtually nothing in common with a cavalier, other than the plant in which its assembled

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, May 15, 2010 8:55 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:
Honestly though, theres no way I would ever choose a L61 Cobalt over a L61 equipped Cavalier.

Agreed on this note.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:10 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:why a cobalt 4 door is worse than a cavalier?

1. Much much uglier
2. Slower
3. Heavier
4. Gas mileage isn't as good either
5. Smaller trunk opening than the cav
6. Unable to tune it with HP tuners
7. Engine bay is littered with those horrible looking plastic covers
8. Electric Power steering which feels artificial and not as live as the J, also massive recall on this part
9. Returnless fuel system, makes the car harder to modify or adjust fuel pressure
10. headlights are a complete pain in the ass to take out to replace a bulb compared to a J
11. Seats are not as comfortable
12. J's never came with fake wood dashes
13. Electronic Throttle body
14. Did I mention its an eyesore?

So the Cobalts biggest fanboy says it's worse than a bottom of line econobox from 1995 yet you question why an exec would say they are horrible cars.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 11:49 AM
Ryan.... You are talking as if Matt is suddenly going to make sense and be rational. Don't be a fool.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

Liquor is not a drug John, liquor is not a drug.
Saturday, May 15, 2010 5:08 PM
Im comparing vs a L61 equipped cav, more specifically an LS Sport since that fell in line more with the Cobalt LT as far as pricing. The LS Sport I always thought for its price was the very best car out there. I paid 14,300 I think for mine in 02. Nothing else on the market at that time even close as far as looks or performance, yea the braking and handling were subpar compared to many other sport compacts that we are used to now. Dodge didn't have the SRT4 yet, Ford hasn't had a sport compact worth buying in probably 15 years. The only one they do have, they don't sell in the US. WRXs, Evos, RSX, Celica GTS, Eclipse (god aweful looking in 02) were all thousands and thousands more. I was actually set on buying a Celica GTS but they wanted 23k for it. For a 21 year old just out of college 14k vs 23k, it wasn't a hard choice to make at all.

I think we have all gotten a bit spoiled over the years. When the SRT4 came out it changed the game. Pretty much every manf now with the exception of Ford and Toyota has a pretty good high powered sport compact on the market. People like to harp on cavaliers but I couldn't have higher praise for mine. I bought it new put 100k miles on it, never did anything more than normal maintenance, put well over 200 dragstrip passes on it, shifted at 7k almost daily, while blaring 143+ dB in the cabin. Drove it around for a year on a stock fuel system and 6psi running untuned until hp tuners came out. I don't know many cars built even today that could hold up to that kinda abuse and do it with anywhere near the reliability I had. Only reason I ever even got rid of it was because I had a deer accident which caused some frame damage and it never drove right after. I'm pretty sure at some point I will indeed buy another 2002 LS Sport, I loved that car, it did everything I ever asked of it.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:16 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:Im comparing vs a L61 equipped cav, more specifically an LS Sport since that fell in line more with the Cobalt LT as far as pricing.

ok so your not comparing a bottom of line econobox from 1995.... but a 2005 that's the exact same design as the bottom of line econobox from 1995. Why didn't you say so? That changes everything now.

Monday, May 17, 2010 9:17 AM
Hard to talk with your foot in your mouth?

Monday, May 17, 2010 11:41 AM
Theres alot of things that were changed by then, most importantly the engine, we all know the eco was head and shoulders above anything else thats been in a cav as far as mileage, emmissions, power, reliability, and expandablity for performance apps. The Getrag is far better than the izuzu transmission. The LS sports specifically the 02 I think also had the best factory look to them. Chrome wheels and a factory lip kit, its a sharp car. Onstar, mp3, better speakers, xm, all that stuff was added later.

Yea the frame was outdated, braking and handling were subpar, but the suspension and brakes are easily upgradable and with the right parts these cars can handle and stop as well as anything they hold their own in auto x. The importance of independent rear suspension is overrated, keep in mind the 08 cobalt ss set the record for production fwd cars around the ring spanking many more powerful independent rear suspension cars. Not saying solid rear beam is better, its not, but its not the end of the world either.

The delta platform is no spring chicken either, its handling is only marginally better, and the braking is the same pretty much on any of the 4 lug deltas, the thing thats most disappointing to me about the cobalt is the extra 200-250lbs it is over the J.

Monday, May 17, 2010 11:57 AM
I own a 2007 Cobalt, and it is the biggest pile of crap I have ever owned. Every damn piece on the car rattles or breaks.
It has just over 29,000 miles on it, tires are already shot, caps rattle like hell. Already had the ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, and wheel bearings done under warranty. Been waiting on parts for the power steering recall....still haven't heard back from 2 dealerships.
As said before, seats are a ridiculously stupid design, along with the no center counsel. The trunk opening...WTF?... Can barely fit anything through it. Hell I had to take the entire rear seat out to fit a 10" sub and box in the trunk.
Overall, just a poorly designed car and could have been MUCH better with research.
I'll take a j-body ANYDAY over a cobalt.

Monday, May 17, 2010 1:50 PM
^^^^I have a 2008 LS sedan with the 4 speed.

NEVER had any problems.
Monday, May 17, 2010 2:32 PM
the cobalt is nothing more than a 5th gen cavalier in my eyes

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, May 17, 2010 10:22 PM
After fixing my glove box door rattle, my 98 Z24 (lowered) has fewer rattles at 117K miles than my moms Cobalt SS at 32K miles. Even my mom says that the 98 (was hers from 98-06) has a better fit and finish than her Cobalt.

Its just a 5th gen J. Still has the same J-body rot issues. Already had the door bottoms fixed once, but I see bubbling under the paint AGAIN.

Monday, May 17, 2010 10:26 PM
Also, the Volt has one of the most useless rear seats I have seen. There are two in the Tech Center right now and I am less than impressed after actually seeing them.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:32 AM
99redz24 wrote:the cobalt is nothing more than a 5th gen cavalier in my eyes

WTH was a 4th gen?

2010 Honda Fit LX
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:06 AM
Skipped a generation.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:51 PM
NY Tort Scam wrote:
99redz24 wrote:the cobalt is nothing more than a 5th gen cavalier in my eyes

WTH was a 4th gen?

opps. brain fart.

lol

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 4:49 PM
SLOCAV wrote:I own a 2007 Cobalt, and it is the biggest pile of crap I have ever owned. Every damn piece on the car rattles or breaks.
It has just over 29,000 miles on it, tires are already shot, caps rattle like hell. Already had the ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, and wheel bearings done under warranty. Been waiting on parts for the power steering recall....still haven't heard back from 2 dealerships.
As said before, seats are a ridiculously stupid design, along with the no center counsel. The trunk opening...WTF?... Can barely fit anything through it. Hell I had to take the entire rear seat out to fit a 10" sub and box in the trunk.
Overall, just a poorly designed car and could have been MUCH better with research.
I'll take a j-body ANY-DAY over a cobalt.

While having owned a cobalt.....you're being too kind. However, TIRES have nothing to do with the car itself. Blame GM for putting on crap OEM's. Other than some possible suspension issue, your tires should not reflect poorly on your car. And the Center arm rest can be purchased separately and installed on ANY model.

My SS had 3 new sets of front speakers because somehow they kept blowing (I have sensitive hearing, I HATE loud music) Rims paint chipped off, door cards "leather" was cut too short and was coming apart, inner door handle silver "paint" was rubbing off. I had a small pond in the rear drivers side foot well because of some window seal leaking. This left a musty smell in the car and moisture for weeks, all because It did not get fixed for almost 2 weeks. I had a Human hair in the clear coat around my right rear tail light. I had a massive drip of clear coat in the same area. My clutch slipped insanely shifting with any gusto from 1st to 2nd. Suspension was clunking like crazy just before I sold it..I think I remember it was a known issue. I'm sure I've forgotten a lot, my 43 year old car is in better shape than that was after 3.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:27 PM
the cobalt is a econo crap box. slap a supercharger or turbo on it and people think its the greatest car ever

Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:22 PM
Did I mention I think my car is the greatest car ever?

Saturday, May 22, 2010 6:08 AM
The stock cav suspension doesn't suck badly solely because it's a rear twist beam set-up. It sucks because of the floppy soft spring rates, 4x4 stance, and HORRIBLE dampening.

The cobalt ss/tc suspension kicks ass because of thoughtfully chosen spring rates and APPROPRIATE dampening. Additional bracing helps. Critics of this particular package have ranked it with European compacts, not American ones. It corners with the best as proven by it's ring times, yet it still rides comfortably and compliantly - soaking up bumps without jarring the cabin. How much more can it really cost GM to use the FE5 suspension on every cobalt? I'd go as far as saying its the best factory American sport compact suspension ever - go drive one and see!

Saturday, May 22, 2010 9:20 AM
Quote:

I'd go as far as saying its the best factory American sport compact suspension ever - go drive one and see!

I'll easily give that title to the Dodge Neon SRT-4 ACR edition.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:10 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:why a cobalt 4 door is worse than a cavalier?

1. Much much uglier

14. Did I mention its an eyesore?

what, are you a tweeker? no offense
IMO the only good looking 2 doors GM has ever made is the G bodys and 1st gen s10 blazers....

i finally figured out what i saw last week.... i thought it was a colbalt with a pontiac grill....... i just figured out it was a G5 from reading this thread....

should of put him in a honda passport/isuzu rodeo...... they are the biggest piles of sh_t you will ever drive

i am gone from this forum
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search