DCT, V6, Mid-Engine... Corvette? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DCT, V6, Mid-Engine... Corvette?
Saturday, August 07, 2010 11:18 AM
That's one senior Saab engineer is confirming atleast.
Quote:

The much-rumored mid-engined Corvette project has been unexpectedly confirmed by a senior Saab source.

The engineer revealed in a trade magazine that Saab’s engineers had developed a double-clutch transmission for a "mid-engined version of the Corvette" when Saab was General Motors' centre of competence for those systems.

The source also revealed that the wet-clutch transmission was designed to cope with up to 590lbft of torque, only marginally less than delivered by today’s Corvette ZR-1 V8.

The news of the DCT project confirms just how serious GM was about shifting to a mid-engined layout for the new-generation car.

It’s thought that the mid-engined Corvette concept was fully engineered but became a victim of the credit crunch in 2008.

However, the latest rumours from the US suggest the mid-engined layout is now back on the agenda for the next-generation C8 Corvette, which is expected to arrive in five years’ time.

GM bosses are also said to be considering downsizing to a V6 engine, probably backed up by turbochargers. The C8 could also be more compact and lighter, possibly using more aluminium in its construction.

From here:
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/251800/

What do you say on this 180* change?

Here are some GM concepts the GM was playing with in the mid-80s and 1990.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: DCT, V6, Mid-Engine... Corvette?
Saturday, August 07, 2010 1:19 PM
Would definitely be in my garage.

Saturday, August 07, 2010 3:40 PM
It's amazing how much of the design language of blue one ended up in the production version of the C5 Corvettes.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Saturday, August 07, 2010 4:10 PM
Back in the earlier 00's, it was rumored the C6 was going to be mid-engine as well. I'm sure the development team would love to build a mid-engine, but as a consumer product, GM is probably terrified to lose their Baby-boomer support for their flagship vehicle (even more so now after the bail-out).

I have no signiture
Sunday, August 08, 2010 4:26 AM
I liked the look of the "aerovette" concept in the mid 70's that was mid engined

I think making a v6 mid engined vette sounds good on paper but the public won't buy it
Sunday, August 08, 2010 7:53 AM
the vette going v6 is insane. corvette is not made for that. it is supposed to be the american answer to euro performance. that means it always had the big engine. was it always the most efficient no turn teh best no (well thats changing) but always a throaty v8. for shame...

(before someone tells me the vette came with a inline 6 originally, i ask when the chevy v8 was introduced.)

Sunday, August 08, 2010 8:34 AM
The remind me of the Acura NSX

Sunday, August 08, 2010 9:01 AM
Eternal wrote:The remind me of the Acura NSX

exactly what I thought

Sunday, August 08, 2010 3:42 PM
Eternal wrote:The remind me of the Acura NSX

Looks more like the Jaguar XJ220:

2010 Honda Fit LX
Sunday, August 08, 2010 4:21 PM
Mike Demo wrote:the vette going v6 is insane. corvette is not made for that. it is supposed to be the american answer to euro performance. that means it always had the big engine. was it always the most efficient no turn teh best no (well thats changing) but always a throaty v8. for shame...

(before someone tells me the vette came with a inline 6 originally, i ask when the chevy v8 was introduced.)

Yeah, but Mike look at all the amazing things BMW is doing with Twin Turbo sixes. Done correctly they wouldn't need a V8 and the car would be lighter. Making a much better balanced sports car.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Sunday, August 08, 2010 7:24 PM
335i 17/26
2010 Z06 15/24

I will take the V8 thank you.

Monday, August 09, 2010 10:15 AM
It'd be great as something like Ford's GT, maybe a limited-run GM supercar. But if they call it a "Corvette", they could have trouble.
Just look at the fuss from ditching the pop-up headlights...

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Monday, August 09, 2010 11:33 AM
Jookycola wrote:
Mike Demo wrote:the vette going v6 is insane. corvette is not made for that. it is supposed to be the american answer to euro performance. that means it always had the big engine. was it always the most efficient no turn teh best no (well thats changing) but always a throaty v8. for shame...

Yeah, but Mike look at all the amazing things BMW is doing with Twin Turbo sixes. Done correctly they wouldn't need a V8 and the car would be lighter. Making a much better balanced sports car.

add the weight of all the stuff necessary for the turbos , and you are back to the weight of the V8

also the Z06 won a green award in europe for getting 30mpg , not bad for a 505hp old tech motor

Monday, August 09, 2010 9:37 PM
Jookycola wrote:

Minus the overheating issues.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:04 PM
If they made a single turbo direct injected V6 at about 400-450 - i'd be in. Once the car is supported with tuning, you electronically crank up the boost and make and extra 100-150hp. Trust me - it would be sweet - icon or no.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 2:19 PM

puts me in mind of the old XJ220:

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, August 13, 2010 9:13 AM
Jookycola wrote:

Jooky, I understand. hell teh turbo 6 in the gta/ grand national made my tpi v8 look slow, but the fact is the vette is the one that does the european thing the american way.
I know ford has eco boost etc. maybe you make a turbo 6 option, but the vette needs the v8 gurgle out back
why not just boost the 8 in the same manner?

As far as a limited run, that could be fun. i think it would be better fit as some bad ass rear drive grand national, make that camaro a little longer and wider, and make it only in black.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, August 13, 2010 9:20 AM

Friday, August 13, 2010 10:59 AM
id love to see the vette go V6 boosted.

i think smaller engines and or boost is the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, August 13, 2010 11:03 AM

Oldsmobile all motor > Saab/Opel boosted
Friday, August 13, 2010 11:56 AM
Why add more complexity, weight, and extra BS to go wrong when the push rod V8 has been kicking ass for years?? It has been shown over and over that the Vette with its old tech engine can out power and out fuel economy "high tech" Euro cars.

Friday, August 13, 2010 2:15 PM
mitdr774 wrote:Why add more complexity, weight, and extra BS to go wrong when the push rod V8 has been kicking ass for years?? It has been shown over and over that the Vette with its old tech engine can out power and out fuel economy "high tech" Euro cars.

this makes me smile

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Friday, August 13, 2010 2:17 PM
sawblades yo!

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.

Saturday, August 14, 2010 5:42 AM
For anyone curious, I took a couple pictures of the red one in 2008 at the GM Heritage Center.

--------------------------------------------

1990 Pontiac Sunbird // 1995 Beretta Base
Saturday, August 14, 2010 6:57 AM
It looks fresh out of Star Trek.

Its ugly

Saturday, August 14, 2010 9:04 AM
mitdr774 wrote:Why add more complexity, weight, and extra BS to go wrong when the push rod V8 has been kicking ass for years?? It has been shown over and over that the Vette with its old tech engine can out power and out fuel economy "high tech" Euro cars.

because of exactly that, its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns.

Oldsmobile all motor > Saab/Opel boosted
Saturday, August 14, 2010 9:35 AM
this from the guy that has a eco versus ld9 sig war going back a few years pot calling kettle anyone....
in surgery the tools they go back to are the same the egyptians used, sometimes it was done right the first time

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search