DCT, V6, Mid-Engine... Corvette? - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: DCT, V6, Mid-Engine... Corvette?
Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:34 PM
Why add complexity, weight, and extra @!#$ to go wrong though? Give me a good reason beyond "something new". The simpler a design is, usually means it is more efficient. The old tech V8 that GM uses makes power "now" and continues to do so without much problem. It might not rev to 8k, but it doesnt need to. Most small displacement high power engines are gut less till you rev the piss out of them.

GMT360/370 is a perfect example. The 4.2l I6 makes 5 less HP than the 5.3L V8. The V8 will out accelerate, fuel economy, and tow the I6. Its funny how a low technology engine with only 5 more HP and 2 more cylinders can do the job so much better than the supposedly perfect 6 cylinder engine that they used. It replaced my 4.3 V6 and while it does make a lot more HP (at high RPM) it only made marginaly more Tq.

Monday, August 16, 2010 12:30 PM
Update... . Despite all the rumors, the next-generation Chevrolet Corvette will be mildly evolve, not drastically change. GM Vice President of Global Vehicle Engineering Karl-Friedrich Stracke, the next-generation Corvette C7 will not be made a mid-engine sports car, nor will it be powered by any sort of V-6 engine.
Stracke also quashed all talk regarding the inclusion of a wet dual-clutch transmission to the Vette's gearbox choices. However, when asked about alternative energy solutions, he did say that a Corvette powered by a hybrid system is "an interesting idea."
"The customer always wants power. That will not go away," Stracke stated.
Prior to Stracke's comments, multiple Web reports indicated that the next-generation Corvette could be powered by a midship-mounted turbocharged V-6. Most recently, a report from Autocar citing a "senior Saab source" revealed that some time ago, the once-GM-owned Swedish brand completed a wet dual-clutch gearbox for an early C7 prototype.

Other unconfirmed C7 rumors spoke of chassis and suspension revisions. An all-aluminum frame is thought to be employed, as is the use of various composites to shave more pounds. Composites like Kevlar/carbon fiber or Kevlar/aluminum may be better choices. (Corvettes already use a mix of aluminum, carbon fiber, and composite plastics.)
Once a lighter build is had, some say the Vette's transverse leaf spring arrangement will finally be axed and replaced by a shock/coil spring setup. The result should be a stiffer, more competitive-handling Corvette.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:51 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Update... . Despite all the rumors, the next-generation Chevrolet Corvette will be mildly evolve, not drastically change. GM Vice President of Global Vehicle Engineering Karl-Friedrich Stracke, the next-generation Corvette C7 will not be made a mid-engine sports car, nor will it be powered by any sort of V-6 engine.
Stracke also quashed all talk regarding the inclusion of a wet dual-clutch transmission to the Vette's gearbox choices. However, when asked about alternative energy solutions, he did say that a Corvette powered by a hybrid system is "an interesting idea."
"The customer always wants power. That will not go away," Stracke stated.
Prior to Stracke's comments, multiple Web reports indicated that the next-generation Corvette could be powered by a midship-mounted turbocharged V-6. Most recently, a report from Autocar citing a "senior Saab source" revealed that some time ago, the once-GM-owned Swedish brand completed a wet dual-clutch gearbox for an early C7 prototype.

Other unconfirmed C7 rumors spoke of chassis and suspension revisions. An all-aluminum frame is thought to be employed, as is the use of various composites to shave more pounds. Composites like Kevlar/carbon fiber or Kevlar/aluminum may be better choices. (Corvettes already use a mix of aluminum, carbon fiber, and composite plastics.)
Once a lighter build is had, some say the Vette's transverse leaf spring arrangement will finally be axed and replaced by a shock/coil spring setup. The result should be a stiffer, more competitive-handling Corvette.

What about the LS5.5R motor they are using in the C6.R's?

. member 1244or55
.http://www22.ocn.ne.jp/~cavalier
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:08 PM
I highly doubt we'll see a midship V8 (at least not a big LS engine). A mid-engine would be more reasonable.

I have no signiture
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:51 PM
[quote=TRD 901-Z™]
What about the LS5.5R motor they are using in the C6.R's?
That engine I would say is expected. What one GM rep told me, the main reason it started life in ALMS was to test out it reliability for "a possibility" in the C7. This engine is expected to carry DI too, power is estimated in 440-450HP range.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search