THE TRUTH ABOUT BMW FROM A 3 YEAR OWNER - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: THE TRUTH ABOUT BMW FROM A 3 YEAR OWNER
Monday, August 30, 2010 11:03 PM
all this negativity towards german cars. ouch....just as i was about to sell my cavy, sell my cobalt, and buy an 2002 Audi A4 Avant [wagon] with 1.8T/5Speed. i was also looking at 2004+ BMW 320i Touring [yet again a wagon] so hmmmm, now idk what i want. the looks on those two particuar models are exactly what i like/was looking for. and being in wagon form, they are sooo unique. now idkkk

Monday, August 30, 2010 11:04 PM
Wow! losts of info here. Yeah I got a cheap 36,000 dollar 3 series. I don't care anymore. Most BMW owners tend to think they are better than everyone, but truth be told I wouldn't want a 5 or 7 series for that matter after this bs. I would like to know more about this lexus problem if anyone knows does this continue through the 2010 models?

ETERNAL- good luck with the bimmer. I hope your luck is better than mine was.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:09 AM
I'm sorry for your trouble, and I appreciate the honest post. My all-time fav Bimmer was the 2002+ e46, but the cost of the parts, higher insurance, asinine costs of modding the damn things, and horror stories from various owners turned me off the brand. I still like looking at them.... just as long as they're not on my driveway (my problem).

If you're looking for something new than maybe you could look into the genesis coupe/ sedan; they seem like smart alternatives. Maybe Mr Goodwrench can chime-in.

arrival_04_eco (green98cav) wrote:if you want something nice i have driven a few Audi's and they were nothing to shake a stick at.

From what I've heard, Audi's are fantastic... only under warranty.

Eternal wrote:
Maybe the 3 series is just a POS? I honestly don't know since I didn't even want to step foot in a 3 when I was at my local BMW lot.

That sounded rather arrogant... and it's not surprising hearing it from someone with a bimmer.

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] coach built xj  ( o   \[][][][][][][]/  o ) hid wj
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:30 AM
I just looked and if the info Eternal has listed is correct he has only owned his 5 series for a couple days over a month? I would wait before boasting about your bimmer buddy. I have had mine for three years not 30 days! Hope you got the extended warranty because after the first three years is when the cost to maintain starts. This is why Im getting rid of mine. Our daily drivers are a 2006 maxima and a 2005 element. I just like to keep a nicer car in the garage and only keep one car payment. Its not that I WANT to spend 50 grand on a car but it just seems that everything my wife and I like is in that range.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:25 AM
Wiezer Walley wrote:I just looked and if the info Eternal has listed is correct he has only owned his 5 series for a couple days over a month? I would wait before boasting about your bimmer buddy. I have had mine for three years not 30 days! Hope you got the extended warranty because after the first three years is when the cost to maintain starts. This is why Im getting rid of mine. Our daily drivers are a 2006 maxima and a 2005 element. I just like to keep a nicer car in the garage and only keep one car payment. Its not that I WANT to spend 50 grand on a car but it just seems that everything my wife and I like is in that range.

I'm sure you work hard for your money. Key point is it's your money. If you can afford it and want to spend 50k on a car go for it. Don't let someone who can't afford a 50k car tell you anything different. You know what you can and can't afford. If you can afford one and want one why not?

Wednesday, September 01, 2010 6:44 AM
Ok I can now post again since my last post was my 100th. I feel like I need to retract and rephrase a little of what I have said. I feel like it was taken the wrong way.

First of all, the reason I said I didn't want to step foot in a 3 series is because of size, not because they are "bottom barrel". It is simply too small for my tastes. I also have 2 kids and I wanted as much leg room as I could afford. So I went with a 5.

Secondly, I'm not saying I'm better than anyone just because I have a Bimmer. Hell, I started of with a J-body just like most of us here. I'm definitely not trying to seem like I'm arrogant because most definitely not.

Wiezer Walley - Yes it's true. I have only had my car a little over a month. It's also been a great month. I know there is a chance that one day something may fail, but hey, sometimes you gotta pay to play. Hopefully it won't be as bad as your experience though.

Thursday, September 02, 2010 7:11 AM
Wow thanks for the write up. Sorry to hear abuot the news.

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me
Friday, September 03, 2010 11:20 AM
OP

If you liked the handling on the 3-series I would definitely check out a Infinity G37 Sedan. They like the twisties while on the gas and the engine is peppy and super reliable. Plus with your cost range you could be generous with the options. I like the Genesis's too but I would wait a few years, as these engines are still new technology in their "beta stages'. But as far as the Lexus's, I have always got the feeling that they were to sporty side of them were lacking, except for the IS's. I did see that the new Buick's were very nice, but again new technology should always have a model year to prove itself.
Saturday, September 04, 2010 12:09 PM
I thought these pictures would be appropriate in this thread.
Granted it is in prototype form, but leave it to BMW to be towed on the Nürburgring.

Story.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Saturday, September 04, 2010 9:11 PM
I have never owned a BMW, but this is the story I hear a lot. They love the design and functions, but the reliability/electrical isn't so good. I hope you have better luck with your next car.

My Car: 1998 Mazda Roadster (Miata): Tein flex Coilovers, Potenza GIII 195/50/15

http://www.highperformancejdm.com
Sunday, September 05, 2010 1:12 PM
I did look at the G37. I own a 2004 maxima and its ok, wish is was a rwd but guess the G37 would be basicly the maxima in rwd and better handling/interior/cosmetics.

Thursday, September 09, 2010 8:48 AM
lol,

There is a reason why you can buy a 3 year old bimmer for a 1/4 of what it was new.

When Top Gear had the M5, Clarkson said he broke 2 of them dicking around the track and the Stig broke another one trying to get a quick lap out of it.
Friday, December 31, 2010 3:44 PM
My old co worker that worked with me at Mercedes sent me this, he worked for BMW and knew how crappy they were.
All I can say is: that's what you get buying for buying a used German car. lol

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Sunday, January 02, 2011 6:51 PM
Hahah, the key went bad. Thats classic @!#$ right there.

Sunday, January 02, 2011 9:30 PM
I have heard the same about BMWs from buddies of mine who have had the same issues.

How about the new S60? I haven't driven in one yet, but they look pretty cool.

We just traded in our 08 Honda Pilot on a 2007 Volvo XC90 Sport and love it! This is our 3rd Volvo and so far so good!

Monday, January 03, 2011 4:47 AM
Damn that's a nice looking Volvo.

Monday, January 03, 2011 6:00 PM
That's the new S60 with Heico Sportiv body kit.....pricey kit, but looks cool!

Monday, January 03, 2011 10:18 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:My old co worker that worked with me at Mercedes sent me this, he worked for BMW and knew how crappy they were.
All I can say is: that's what you get buying for buying a used German car. lol

I lol'd

Still 0 issues with my car though. Every car is different. Even though Cavaliers are deemed as a very reliable car, everyonce in a while a member pops up and complains about constant issues. It's all chance really.

Any car can have constant issues.

Monday, January 03, 2011 10:42 PM
Tribals wrote:I have heard the same about BMWs from buddies of mine who have had the same issues.

How about the new S60? I haven't driven in one yet, but they look pretty cool.

We just traded in our 08 Honda Pilot on a 2007 Volvo XC90 Sport and love it! This is our 3rd Volvo and so far so good!

I tracked that car and it has a great feel in the torque dept, strong consistent brakes, smooth as hell, interior design and out is is modern, and AWD to boot. Volvo set it up against the A4 AWD, and 3-series AWD, hands down this Swede had NOTHING to worry about. I would give this car as one of the best "entry-level luxury price range" cars out there.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Monday, January 03, 2011 10:59 PM
From my experience I would at least stay away from the '03 to '09(?) E-class. My mother had an '03 E320, and there were a few things we had issues with. Most of the time we couldn't tell if the heated/cooled seats worked, couldn't tell if the heat/vent system powered by solar panels forward and rear of the panoramic sunroof worked, radio had it's own issues, among other things. Hell, that series of E-class is even on Consumer Reports Used Cars to Avoid list. My mother traded in the Merc for a new Toyota Avalon in Aug '07.

Each car line has it's own issues, some more than others.

I actually had recently found out when surfing Cadillac's site and saw that you can get the CTS-V in three ways; sedan, coupe, and now WAGON, that would make a fun DD.

All I will say now is I wish you the best of luck in your search.

"United by Individuality"
"If life is a joke, why aren't we laughing?"
"Normality depends on one's perception of reality."
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3820803
Wednesday, January 05, 2011 1:24 PM
1.) Resale on Volvo's isn't that fantastic

2.) You are going to have horror stories about every brand of car. It's going to happen. You don't hear about a $10,000 breaking over and over because, well, because it's a $10,000 car.

3.) Do not buy a Mercedes unless you buy a AMG. That's pure opinion, but I stand by it 100%. Viper will probably say the same thing.

4.) It's your money. Do the research on Edmunds.com and the various other useful websites out there on particular car models and compare. Not to knock the folks on the jbody, but you are on a forum board and you are going to get most nay sayers and biased opinions.

5.) As of right now, the best vehicle I've owned has been a Chevy Suburban for family side. My SLK32 is an 02 and I've had no problems with it minus the normal quirks. If you want to screw around with a Benz for cheap(er), look at the 2002 to 2004 C32 AMG's.

If I was going to drop $50 on a car? I'd go for a used C63 AMG or E55/E63 AMG.

Josh
SLK 32

Wednesday, January 05, 2011 3:49 PM
Jaguar used to get all the bad rap when it came to unreliable foreign cars like this, but I think they are getting better while it sounds like in the last 6 or 7 years some other luxury brands have had some quality control issues?. As mentioned earlier, it's probably got a lot to do with the fact that Jaguar was owned by Ford. Our family has an '02 x-type and it has not had any more problems with it than the Honda Odyssey we had before it. Small electrical things here and there, but then again I forget that the car is 9 years old now. Still not as dependable as my Cavy though lol. There were mornings when it was -20 F last january and the x-type, which was parked in the garage, wouldn't start it was so cold (and same with our '99 dodge ram also in the garage) but my 02 cavalier sitting in the driveway started right up lol.

Also, the Audi sedans are alright looking, but still not edgy enough for me (don't turn enough heads). And Volvo is really starting to get there for me, too.

Thursday, January 06, 2011 7:29 AM
Wiezer Walley wrote:I did look at the G37. I own a 2004 maxima and its ok, wish is was a rwd but guess the G37 would be basicly the maxima in rwd and better handling/interior/cosmetics.

Glad I took the time to read through the posts before posting.

I went from a Cav to a g35...and now own a g37. yes coupes, but honestly now that I've gone Nissan, I don't think I'll ever go back? From the top (GTR), to the bottom with the Maxima's, I never, EVER hear bad things about Nissan motors. They're strong, reliable, sometimes short on torque ratings, but the HP output, the class, the luxiery, and reliability are all there, and they're there for good.

My fiancee and I now own an 08 G37 coupe and an 05 FX 35, both in which we've had zero problems. You will also have a hard time finding any "mechanical issues" w/ these cars.

I know you're looking for a "midsize" sedan, and the G37 coupe may be a bit small for you, but have you looked into the M? Its hefty with a V8, has everything but is a bit more spacias and more for what you're looking for. My buddy just traded his 04 coupe in for an M35 and he absolutely LOVES IT! He said he gets noooothing but compliments as well. The newer M45 is also sick looking w/ of course a little more HP gain :-)

Saturday, January 08, 2011 8:22 PM
Only German car I have interest in and the last real good bmw, the e30. The e36 arent too bad, but e46 is when the @!#$ really hit the fan and they just got to be too big to be considered a 3 series any more, now the new e90's are as big or bigger than the size that a 5 series should be.

Also, yeah nissans are nice, until you want to go buy parts for them. Most expensive parts out there, more than bmw, more than audi, more the mercedes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, January 08, 2011 8:24 PM

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:11 AM
YES the M is nice I have a co worker that just got one 4 months ago but I think that just out of my price range.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search