2011 Chevrolet Cruze - Page 6 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze
Saturday, November 20, 2010 12:01 AM
mitdr774 wrote:Crash testing is about occupant safety. So, about as stong as foil.

The base and Z24 were more than 2hp apart. Why not just offer a low power and a high power version of the 1.4T instead?? Just think Saab 2.0t vs 2.0T.

Just as long the cabin is intact and the ocupants are walking from it, that's what matters. That being said, it isn't foil.
Both 1.8L and 1.4T pull the same HP. Torque is greater on the Turbo 148@1850 vs 123 @3800 and greater gas mileage too. And on a buisness stand point in America, the majority does not care about performance, case in point... look a the top sellers; vanilla cars. Now that GM is making profits, later on they might cater to the niche category.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:31 AM
As a business stand point it would make more sense to have two engines that are esentialy the same but make different power (Saab 2.0t and 2.0T). Why develop two completely different engines when you could just develop one basic engine?

2.3 SOHC and 2.3 DOHC were two vastly different power levels, but essentially the same basic engine to start with.

Also, while I was working at the Tech Center I overheard the engineers complaining about the cost of having two different engines.

Saturday, November 20, 2010 6:16 PM
Well yeah its expensive, to have two different engines. 2 different kinds of parts made and engineered for each, Kinda like the 3500 having the same engine but certain ones made at certain plants have two different kinds of pistons, pins, and retainers. But almost every vehicle model has 2+ different engines. So this is nothing new to the automotive world.

I was disapointed at first with the engine choices, but having racked 130+miles on 6 different Cruzes(gm extended quiality control test drives surveys), I can say I'm quiet fond of these little buggers. I perfer the 1.4 over the 1.8 though.

To the question about the rear suspension yes it is typical beam style with a wats link installed I have pics but I don't have a ways to post them up. If anyone wants or is curious I can email them.for someone to post.

From the looks of it the 1.8 and 1.4 are totally different. the 1.8 looks(and I'm basing just by looks) is from the aveo and the 1.4 is not.
Monday, November 22, 2010 9:04 PM
I was going to buy one of these the other night but it's a waste IMO.

My HHR SS Turbo Stage 1 gets 23mpg city and 33 on the hwy, this thing gets between 22-24 depending on what motor city. There is no gain gas mileage wise other than it's a newer GM car and has a small motor making the same mpg as my 2.0 Turbo wagon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, November 22, 2010 9:07 PM

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:40 AM
frank hernandez wrote:
From the looks of it the 1.8 and 1.4 are totally different. the 1.8 looks(and I'm basing just by looks) is from the aveo and the 1.4 is not.

In 2009 the Aveo recieved a version Opel's Ecotec, which is why it looks similar to the 1.8L you see in the Cruze. Both are Opel engines. The 1.4T is in the same family as those.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Saturday, November 27, 2010 11:07 AM
JM Graphics / Decals & Banners wrote:I was going to buy one of these the other night but it's a waste IMO.

My HHR SS Turbo Stage 1 gets 23mpg city and 33 on the hwy, this thing gets between 22-24 depending on what motor city. There is no gain gas mileage wise other than it's a newer GM car and has a small motor making the same mpg as my 2.0 Turbo wagon.

There are significant improvements in ride and interior. not to mention safety. The other problem with the HHR is the only GM could sell it was to put a $4,000 rebate on the vehicle which they can't do and expect to make money on the car. The same problem was had on the cobalt cheap injection mold plastic interior with poor ride quality. the cruze is an improvement in all the area with the same sticker price as the cobalt. Its just a better quality vehicle which they wont have to give away to sell.
Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:41 AM
Another update from GM:

(Not the production model, but close)

-New model to build on global success of Chevrolet's favorite car
-Cruze hatchback cements Chevrolet's mainstream credentials in Europe
-One of seven new entries in centenary year

Zurich. Chevrolet's award-winning – and now World Touring Car Championship (WTCC)-winning – Cruze will further enhance its credentials this year when the new hatchback version goes on sale in spring. The full production model makes its world premiere at the 81st international Geneva Motor Show, March 3 – 11.

The timing of the new model couldn't be better for Chevrolet, with the manufacturer being crowned World Touring Car Champions in December for the first time. Chevrolet's racing success proves the dynamic potential and qualities of the Cruze, while the launch of a new 5-door hatchback model in addition to the sedan, is further evidence of Chevrolet's intention to bring value for money to the mainstream segments of the European market.

A show car version of Chevrolet's compact contender was shown at the Paris Motor Show last September, and was warmly received.

Sales of the Cruze last year surpassed the Aveo to become Chevrolet's top selling passenger car nameplate globally. Since its launch in the spring 2009, the Cruze sedan has been warmly welcomed by markets all over the world, greeted as a step change for the brand with customers attracted to its coupe style, build quality, 5-star NCAP rating and driving dynamics. It was also elected the AUTOBEST car of 2010 by a jury of leading auto writers in Central and Eastern Europe.

The introduction of the new Cruze hatchback is critical in Europe, as Wayne Brannon, president and managing director of Chevrolet Europe explains. "Hatchbacks play a critical role in many markets. The total compact segment in Europe represents over a quarter of the total market, with hatchbacks representing around 65% of that volume.

"The new Cruze hatchback cements that Chevrolet's claim for a place among the mainstream brands in Europe, and it's a vehicle that will bring new levels of value against some of the more established competition."

Hatchback design

With its attractive sweeping coupe roofline and short overhangs at both the front and rear, the new Cruze hatchback has the same dynamic 'stance' as the sedan and will be instantly recognizable.

It will benefit too from the same taut body 'feel' on the road, being built using the new body-frame integral system (BFI) which is complemented by the final tuning to chassis components. The BFI system results in high levels of stability and solidity. Indeed the Chevrolet Cruze is a car particularly well suited to European driver tastes, a fact borne out by sales across many of the markets and where in 2010, it exceeded forecasts.

Cargo capacity for the Cruze hatchback is close to 400 liters and it will feature 60/40 split rear seating.

The new Chevrolet Cruze 5-door hatchback will go on sale across Europe in mid 2011 with prices announced nearer the launch date.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:43 AM
If it were a 3 door I would buy it, hell this still looks good but I don't want the extra 2 doors.

HUB SPACER BLOW OUT SALE!!! Get yours before they're gone!

I <3 JGM

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 3:03 PM
Sexy...

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 5:38 PM
Cant wait to see this with 15 inch wheels+ hubcaps and drums brakes in the rear.
Thursday, February 03, 2011 4:31 AM
Quick photoshop of the headlights

Thursday, February 03, 2011 9:17 AM
GM has stated that there are no plans to sell the Cruze hatchback in the states... yet.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:17 PM
MyKoup_owns_theZ wrote:Cant wait to see this with 15 inch wheels+ hubcaps and drums brakes in the rear.

Yup.. Then throw on some ugly rims, and an ugly spoiler and give it 50 more HP, and call it the "SS" model.

Quote:

Watching you parade around my bedroom in a thong was a little like watching sea lions mate.

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:00 AM
I just read 6 pages of people complaining about an economy car that only makes 138hp lol. Its a @!#$in economy car, get over it! Its decent looking, gets 42 mpg, turbocharged, great warranty, 6 speed manual, under $20K, what's not to like? I'm in the market for a new car and this is the only american car that even interests me, props to gm!

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Friday, February 11, 2011 8:31 AM
Skilz10179 wrote:I just read 6 pages of people complaining about an economy car that only makes 138hp lol. Its a @!#$in economy car, get over it! Its decent looking, gets 42 mpg, turbocharged, great warranty, 6 speed manual, under $20K, what's not to like? I'm in the market for a new car and this is the only american car that even interests me, props to gm!
Um, the fact that it's turbocharged does not in itself make it great. My gripe is there is just no excuse for not being well above 100hp/L on a turbocharged 4-cylinder. There are plenty of n/a engines out there with better specific output that also achieve decent fuel mileage. 138-hp may be adequate for the job, but (in my opinion), if they go through the cost and engineering to turbocharge this powerplant, why not competitively more? Would 170-180hp really be so hard? Would it affect highway gas mileage? Would it affect price? Would it differentiate the 1.4t model more significantly from the base 1.8 n/a model? That's where I was coming from.

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:42 PM
The car might be tuned for regular fuel?
It might exlain it's lower than current HP/L.

GM wanted to buuild the best corolla ever, and they may have.
It's just that I never wanted one in the first place.

Put the LNF in this puppy like they do in Europe and I'd be all over it.
This car is simply too heavy for 1.8 liters.

I'm not sure that turboed cars make for the best overall economy in the long run.
GM's long standing formula for power worked for me.

Friday, February 11, 2011 4:46 PM
Jookycola wrote:
Eternal wrote:Wow that looks really good.

Which is exactly why GM will never sell that here.

as much as I hate to say it , I agree with that @!#$, in my eyes Gm got the Cobalt ss, Z06, ZR1, and Camaro on the money, they definatly need a new Impala ss, Malibu ss would be nice to refresh that market also a Grand National if their gonna turbo the Regal why not, and as for the Cruze, the hatch style should be the ss with a LNF, thats would be the @!#$, but we'll see what they come up with, I loved the Cavaliers Z24's and the Cobalt ss, the Cruze is nice but lacks the power we all would love to see even though they race them in Europe, maybe if they put some mods on the market from those cars, power could be compensated.

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Saturday, February 12, 2011 4:28 AM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:
Skilz10179 wrote:I just read 6 pages of people complaining about an economy car that only makes 138hp lol. Its a @!#$in economy car, get over it! Its decent looking, gets 42 mpg, turbocharged, great warranty, 6 speed manual, under $20K, what's not to like? I'm in the market for a new car and this is the only american car that even interests me, props to gm!
Um, the fact that it's turbocharged does not in itself make it great. My gripe is there is just no excuse for not being well above 100hp/L on a turbocharged 4-cylinder. There are plenty of n/a engines out there with better specific output that also achieve decent fuel mileage. 138-hp may be adequate for the job, but (in my opinion), if they go through the cost and engineering to turbocharge this powerplant, why not competitively more? Would 170-180hp really be so hard? Would it affect highway gas mileage? Would it affect price? Would it differentiate the 1.4t model more significantly from the base 1.8 n/a model? That's where I was coming from.

The fact it's turbocharged doesn't make it a great car but it is pretty cool. It also usually makes it pretty easy to squeeze more power out of the motor with simple mods. 100hp/L is pretty good considering it is designed for good gas mileage and runs 87 octane fuel. The fact is mpg is the name of the game, a car that gets 42 mpg is going to sell better than a car that makes 200hp.

I'm going to the dealership today to test drive one.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Saturday, February 12, 2011 9:32 AM
Trifecta Performance offers a tune for the Cruze 1.4T that gains you 36whp and 54wtq...

Quote:

We've been busy tuning and tweaking and managed to get a gain of about 36HP and 54TQ on an otherwise completely stock vehicle. This is a 31% gain in HP and 38% gain in torque!

http://www.trifectaperformance.com/

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Saturday, February 12, 2011 11:07 AM
Hatch makes this car look 100% better. I'll suspend my final decision once I see the production version.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 1:27 PM

I'm with you, Jeremy.

I have no signiture

Saturday, February 12, 2011 1:30 PM
I will also be waiting to see the final product before commenting any more on the car. I'm just not awaiting the car we see in the pictures. Just look what they did to the poor Aveo RS. lol Looked killer as a concept and look what they done. A gay watered down grocery getter and not the pocket rocket the concept may have been.
Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:02 AM
I went to 3 chevy dealerships yesterday afternoon and they were all closed, I guess chevy doesn't like selling cars on Saturdays... Each dealer did have about 8-12 Cruze's on their lots but not a single one of them was the Eco model.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile

Sunday, February 13, 2011 5:44 PM
Come to mine .

Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:47 PM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:

THE ONLY REASON FOR A TURBO ON A 4 CYLINDER IS NOT FOR POWER, RICER MINDED PUTZ. Jesus dude.. You know the manufacturers do that to have a lightweight motor with good gas mileage, right?

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search