2011 Chevrolet Cruze - Page 5 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze
Tuesday, September 07, 2010 3:14 PM
This car would sell..

. member 1244or55
.http://www22.ocn.ne.jp/~cavalier

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 5:02 PM
without an lnf or some sort of real engine i remain not interested, the hatch is a good looker, and if i could shave the rear doors i think i would like it. i really do not understand gm anymore. this car could have potential, but what aftermarket is going to support the all mighty sohc 1.4 turbo, what is this a geo?

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 5:04 PM
It urks me that GM is not using the true ecotecs in these cars. They look like the korean/daewoo engine with the exhaust mani in the front.

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 11:41 PM
^Actually the Cruze uses the real Ecotec made by Opel. The 1.8L is the same unit used in the Saturn/ Opel Astra. The American N/A "Ecotec" (marketing name) is just a clean sheet design that was basically an evolution of what GM already had as I-4s in the states. Saab had a hand in the boosted versions. And in this 1.4L Turbo I would not be surprised if Saab had something to do too.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, September 08, 2010 5:26 AM
like it really matters? still a foreign engine in a chevy badged car.

i guess im in the belief american engines for american cars?

I feel like taking a tinkle on an ecNOtec...
Monday, September 27, 2010 9:43 PM
Rumorsthat are going on now.
Holden's HSV is working on the performance version of the Cruze.
>>>Article<<<

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:20 PM
this needs a diesel.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:19 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Rumorsthat are going on now.
>>>Article

now that is bad assssssssss

also the diesel is coming , from what ive heard very VERY SOON

Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:51 PM
We just got two Cruze's in at my work the other day. They are alright. GM is starting to get into this BMW-funk where the interior of all their 2010+ cars looks the same. Same console, same cluster, same radio/HVAC, etc. The inside of the Cruze looks just like a new Equinox. The outside of the car is OK. Nothing really stands out about it though. The one I was looking at today was priced at $18.5. Not really much to look at, specially after spending $20+ in taxes, financing and what not.
Monday, November 08, 2010 6:49 AM
Just test drove a LT 1.4T with the 6speed manumatic. What a gutless turd lol. I love the interior, and build quality/ lack of cabin noise, but this thing has no balls what-so-ever. Hopefully the 6speed manual drives better but it's unlikely the difference will be vast.

Base engine should have been 2.0L 145hp, LT 2.2L 165hp, LTZ 2.0T 220hp. This car weighs far to much for a 1.8 and 1.4T to honestly see any REAL gains in milage. Talking with the rep that came on the drive with me, they were seeing 34-36mpg average with the 1.4T's that they have on the lot. Who all here is getting that with their LD9? I know i was seeing 33 before the engine went boom.

Build quality *yay*
Engine choice *boooo*

Monday, November 08, 2010 4:23 PM
the 1.8 and 1.4T make damn near the same power. I dont see why they needed to waste the time and money to develop two engines so close to eachother. My 98 pulls off mid 30's on the highway.

Monday, November 08, 2010 7:06 PM
I have to agree, the engine is a dog. The turbo has rubber and flimsy plastic charge pipes. Build, ride, noise quality is great though. I don't like the fact there using aveo engines. I don't see that much of a difference between fuel economy of cobalt using the 2.2 and 2.4. I really hope they have a better performing engine coming out. I know its supposed to be an economy car, but underpowered heavy car with a six speed feels kinda crappy when trying to pass traffic or launching from an onramp.
Tuesday, November 09, 2010 5:50 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:^Actually the Cruze uses the real Ecotec made by Opel. The 1.8L is the same unit used in the Saturn/ Opel Astra. The American N/A "Ecotec" (marketing name) is just a clean sheet design that was basically an evolution of what GM already had as I-4s in the states. Saab had a hand in the boosted versions. And in this 1.4L Turbo I would not be surprised if Saab had something to do too.
Lol i don't know, i just prefer the american iteration regardless of the name. These arse-backwards "opel" ecotecs have not impressed me at all. They are much more like hyundai/kia motors - simple workhorses with no provisions or expectations of aftermarket support. For some reason, i don't see us making 400hp on that 1.4T, but i'd love to be proven wrong.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:56 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Rumorsthat are going on now.
>>>Article

this with 2.0t and all wheel drive would be perfect. and i think would be a good fight against subaru.

Friday, November 12, 2010 10:41 AM
Update from GM:

The official fuel economy numbers for the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco are in and they’re good. Segment-leading good. It delivers an EPA-estimated 42 mpg on the highway (manual transmission models), with equally impressive city fuel economy of 28 mpg.

Cruze Eco’s highway fuel economy beats non-hybrid segment competitors – including 23 percent greater highway fuel economy than the Honda Civic – as well as the Ford Fiesta subcompact and many hybrid models. In fact, it’s better than Ford Fusion Hybrid, Nissan Altima Hybrid and Toyota Camry Hybrid.

“Chevrolet Cruze continues to redefine the compact segment, offering class-leading standard safety features, upscale amenities – as well as hybrid-like fuel economy without the price,” said Chuck Russell, vehicle line director. “The Cruze Eco is in a league of its own and will challenge perceptions of the efficiency available in a more affordable non-hybrid.”

The Cruze Eco carries an MSRP of $18,895 (including destination charge). It goes on sale in January.

To achieve its segment-leading fuel economy, Cruze’s engineers focused on aerodynamic performance, mass optimization and powertrain enhancements. The refinements in each area paid big dividends towards the car’s overall efficiency, while providing engineers with valuable information to help enhance the efficiency of future Chevrolet models.

“We left no stone unturned or piece of sheet metal un-weighed,” said Russell. “Our engineers were comprehensive and thorough when it came to evaluating and modifying the aspects of the car’s performance that contribute to fuel economy.”

Aero enhancements

Aerodynamic improvements over non-Eco manual-transmission models contributed approximately six mpg to the Cruze’s EPA-estimated 42 mpg highway fuel economy. Many were developed and refined in more than 500 hours of wind-tunnel testing of the Chevy Volt, which shares a core architecture with the Cruze. Examples include the upper grille, which has more “closeouts” to improve aerodynamics, a lower front air dam extension, a rear spoiler, a lowered ride height and underbody panels that smooth airflow beneath the car.

The Eco model also features an all-new technology in the compact segment: a lower front grille air shutter that closes at higher speeds to reduce aerodynamic drag and opens at lower speeds to optimize engine-cooling airflow. Another contributor to reduced drag is the use of ultra-low rolling resistance 17-inch Goodyear tires (used with lightweight wheels), which are also used on the Volt.

As a result of the aero enhancements, aerodynamic drag was reduced by 10 percent over a non-Eco model, with a coefficient of drag of 0.298. That places Cruze at the top of the class for mainstream compact cars.

Mass optimization

More than 42 changes were made on the Eco to reduce weight. It weighs in at 3,009 pounds (1,365 kg), compared to the 3,223 pounds (1,462 kg) of the Cruze 1LT. The diet program for the Cruze challenged engineers to look at all aspects of the vehicle’s construction, including hundreds of weld flanges on the vehicle. They were reduced 1 mm to 2 mm in length, which saved several pounds, while the sheet metal gauge thickness was reduced by about 0.1 mm in select components. This saved weight while preserving structural integrity.

Lighter wheels and tires are used on the Eco. They’re stylish, polished 17-inch alloy units with Goodyear tires that weigh only 36.5 pounds (16.6 kg) apiece. That’s 5.3 pounds (2.4 kg) less than the 16-inch wheel/tires of the Cruze 1LT for a complete savings to the vehicle of 21.2 pounds (9.6 kg).

Efficient powertrain

Cruze Eco is powered by power-dense Ecotec 1.4L turbocharged engine and a standard six-speed manual transmission. The transmission’s gearing is optimized for the model’s specific 17-inch wheel/tire combination and includes aggressive ratios for first and second gear coupled with a highly efficient, “taller” sixth-gear ratio for highway driving. That means engine rpm is reduced on the highway, which in turn reduces fuel consumption. A six-speed automatic transmission is available, with EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 26 city and 37 highway.

The Ecotec 1.4L turbo’s power ratings are 138 horsepower (103 kW) and 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm) between 1,850 rpm and 4,900 rpm. The wide rpm range for the maximum torque – a specific trait of turbocharged engines – helps the engine deliver a better driving experience and performance. The turbocharger is integrated within the exhaust manifold, for reduced weight and greater packaging flexibility.

The engine also features premium design elements that give it world-class smoothness and durability while also contributing to the Cruze Eco’s lower curb weight. They include a cast iron block with a hollow frame structure, hollow-cast camshafts and a plastic intake manifold.

Comparing the competitors

As a result of aerodynamic improvements, mass reduction and powertrain optimization, the Cruze Eco offers the best fuel economy in the compact segment, while delivering hybrid-like fuel economy without the hybrid price. The following charts show how it compares with primary competitors and popular hybrids.

Cruze Eco vs. segment competitors

Model
EPA City Fuel Economy
EPA Highway Fuel Economy

Chevrolet Cruze Eco
28 mpg
42 mpg

Toyota Corolla
26 mpg
35 mpg

Honda Civic
26 mpg
34 mpg

Ford Focus
25 mpg
35 mpg

Hyundai Elantra
26 mpg
35 mpg

Cruze Eco vs. hybrids
Model
EPA City Fuel Economy
EPA Highway Fuel Economy
Price

Chevrolet Cruze Eco
28 mpg
42 mpg
$18,895

Ford Fusion Hybrid
41 mpg
36 mpg
$27,950

Nissan Altima Hybrid
35 mpg
33 mpg
$26,780

Toyota Camry Hybrid
33 mpg
34 mpg
$26,150

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, November 12, 2010 5:32 PM
As on economy car I think its is awesome, but I've always wondered, why save wieght on a specifice model? Why not just save wieght on all models? Kinda like offering all light wieght and better MPG and if you want more than just a eco minded car. pay more for added features I think. See only a beneift in manual transmission models. Shouldn't have made a auto version IMO.
Saturday, November 13, 2010 4:48 PM
Model
EPA City Fuel Economy
EPA Highway Fuel Economy

Chevrolet Cruze Eco
28 mpg
42 mpg

Toyota Corolla
26 mpg
35 mpg

Honda Civic
26 mpg
34 mpg

Ford Focus
25 mpg
35 mpg

Hyundai Elantra
26 mpg
35 mpg

Cruze Eco vs. hybrids
Model
EPA City Fuel Economy
EPA Highway Fuel Economy
Price

Chevrolet Cruze Eco
28 mpg
42 mpg
$18,895

Ford Fusion Hybrid
41 mpg
36 mpg
$27,950

Nissan Altima Hybrid
35 mpg
33 mpg
$26,780

Toyota Camry Hybrid
33 mpg
34 mpg

^^^that in my opinion is epic win for gm. better or at least equal gas mileage when compared to the other car's in it's class, even when put up against hybrids. and in most cases close to $10,000 less.

i am not a fan of this car in the least, according to people that have test driven it it's completely gutless. and the exterior is way too dull. but otherwise i'm happy that gm was able to finally pull together a reason for people who don't give a @!#$ about performance to actually want to buy one of their cars.

Monday, November 15, 2010 10:12 AM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:^Actually the Cruze uses the real Ecotec made by Opel. The 1.8L is the same unit used in the Saturn/ Opel Astra. The American N/A "Ecotec" (marketing name) is just a clean sheet design that was basically an evolution of what GM already had as I-4s in the states. Saab had a hand in the boosted versions. And in this 1.4L Turbo I would not be surprised if Saab had something to do too.
Lol i don't know, i just prefer the american iteration regardless of the name. These arse-backwards "opel" ecotecs have not impressed me at all. They are much more like hyundai/kia motors - simple workhorses with no provisions or expectations of aftermarket support. For some reason, i don't see us making 400hp on that 1.4T, but i'd love to be proven wrong.
No-no I hear ya. But the majority this Opel's Ecotec performance parts are in Europe, not here. Remember, the only time we saw this engine was in the Saturn Astra. So the market was not to great to begin with here.

frank hernandez wrote:As on economy car I think its is awesome, but I've always wondered, why save wieght on a specifice model? Why not just save wieght on all models? Kinda like offering all light wieght and better MPG and if you want more than just a eco minded car. pay more for added features I think. See only a beneift in manual transmission models. Shouldn't have made a auto version IMO.
In this case, it is refinement. The saving of weight is mostly from the sound deadening removed, along with other parts as well. So now the car does feel/sound a little more "tinnier."

blucavvy wrote:according to people that have test driven it it's completely gutless
It isn't really with the Turbo. It's straight line drive "felt" as quick as Mazda 3, current Focus, Civic. I thought the Corolla felt peppier though. On the N/A version (only one model gets it too) it was exactly like the Saturn Astra. Don't go out and race Veyrons, but for around town, it gets up and go.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:25 AM
mitdr774 wrote:the 1.8 and 1.4T make damn near the same power. I dont see why they needed to waste the time and money to develop two engines so close to eachother. My 98 pulls off mid 30's on the highway.

It comes to performance. We have both vehicles now at the dealership I work at and I can tell you there is a significant difference in acceleration between the two cars.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:46 AM
frank hernandez wrote:As on economy car I think its is awesome, but I've always wondered, why save wieght on a specifice model? Why not just save wieght on all models? Kinda like offering all light wieght and better MPG and if you want more than just a eco minded car. pay more for added features I think. See only a beneift in manual transmission models. Shouldn't have made a auto version IMO.

They did the same thing with the Cobalt XFE that got 37 mpg. the difference is even the base trims of the Cruze are coming with way more equipment standard power locks windows and keyless are standard equipment. 10 air bags are standard. Its a way they can advertise best in class fuel economy over any other vehicle.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 9:41 AM
z yaaaa wrote:like it really matters? still a foreign engine in a chevy badged car.

i guess im in the belief american engines for american cars?

Its going to be GMs global platform car. its no different than when they had the cavalier badged in the asian market as a Toyota. it was an american engineered and designed car in a foreign market. GM is a global company its developing vehicles in many markets. bottomline the vehicle is way ahead of its predecessor. It is a huge improvement over the cobalt. fit and finish is amazing the ride is amazing I havent seen official crash test ratings but I have to imagine its going to fair well. They are looking for a blend of performance and ride quality. They arent trying to build a race car but a vehicle that has some snap gets great fuel economy with improved ride.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:32 PM
neongreencavi wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:the 1.8 and 1.4T make damn near the same power. I dont see why they needed to waste the time and money to develop two engines so close to eachother. My 98 pulls off mid 30's on the highway.

It comes to performance. We have both vehicles now at the dealership I work at and I can tell you there is a significant difference in acceleration between the two cars.

Then why not just offer the turbo??? Its wasted money to develop two engines. Feel and actual performance are two different things. I would like to see actual numbers.

I am hoping that GM starts bringing a few engines for the Buick version before I leave the plant. Kinda interested in seeing the setup. Also, after looking at the unibody structure, it looks like it will be about as strong as aluminum foil in an impact. Does have an aluminum front bumper though, has to be a lot lighter than a steel one.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 12:05 PM
it was same reason they had the base cavalier and the z24. you had the 2.2l ohv and 2.4 twin cam. Something to separate the different trim levels and options. in regards to crash test it scored perfect or near perfect crash test ratings in European New Car Assessment Program (EuroNCAP) and is expected to score 5 star or 4 star in every category. So apparently a little stronger than aluminum foil
Thursday, November 18, 2010 8:05 PM
Crash testing is about occupant safety. So, about as stong as foil.

The base and Z24 were more than 2hp apart. Why not just offer a low power and a high power version of the 1.4T instead?? Just think Saab 2.0t vs 2.0T.

Friday, November 19, 2010 6:50 AM
hatchback, yuk

looks like a fugly egg vw

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search