BMW's Twin Turbo I-6 models recalled - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BMW's Twin Turbo I-6 models recalled
Wednesday, October 27, 2010 11:10 AM
There are people here who owns or know of so pass it along.

Where it all started Vid:
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/bmw-admits-fuel-pump-flaw-11970780

From BMW...
Official Statement: BMW Voluntary Recall
BMW High-Pressure Fuel Pump Voluntary Emissions Recall – models w/ N54

BMW has discovered that certain 2007-2010 model year vehicles may experience partial failure of the High-Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) which is part of the direct fuel injection system on certain 1 Series, 3 Series, 5 Series, X6, and Z4 models. Specifically, vehicles powered by the twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-6 engine (internally dubbed ''N54'') are affected. Symptoms include long engine starting times and sometimes the illumination of the Service Engine Soon lamp in the instrument cluster, possibly accompanied by reduced engine performance (''Safe'' operation).

BMW will issue a further voluntary emissions recall. Owners of affected vehicles will be notified in a letter sent by first-class mail. Affected vehicles will receive a software update to reprogram the HPFP and/or a new generation HPFP.

BMW had previously extended the emissions warranty coverage period to 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first, on affected vehicles in all 50 States.

There have been no reports of injuries related to this issue.

BMW Low-Pressure Fuel Pump Voluntary Safety Recall – X5 models w/ N52

BMW has discovered that some MY 2008 BMW Sports Activity Vehicles equipped with N52 normally-aspirated inline six-cylinder engines may experience a failure of the low-pressure fuel pump. Due to increased wear of an internal component of the fuel pump, the pump could malfunction causing the engine to stall.

BMW will move forward with a voluntary safety recall of affected vehicles to replace the fuel pump in affected vehicles. Owners of affected vehicles will be notified in a letter sent by first-class mail beginning in November.

There have been no accidents or injuries reported as a result of this issue. Customers who receive a letter for either recall should contact an Authorized BMW Center to schedule a service appointment.

Customers with further questions may contact BMW Customer Relations at a dedicated number, 1-800-563-4269, or email CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: BMW's Twin Turbo I-6 models recalled
Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:08 AM
I have the N52, but my car seems to not be affected.

The boosted I-6's have been having HPFP issues for quite some time I heard. It's nice to see they are taking this step.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:35 AM
Looks like those models need a Racetronix pump

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:48 AM
^^ lolol

Thursday, November 03, 2011 11:24 PM
So they aren't recalling the cracking fuel rails yet I take it???

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, November 04, 2011 1:25 PM
I just did a google search for "bmw cracked fuel rails" and nothing turned up. So do you have a reliable source for that issue, or just making it up?

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Saturday, November 05, 2011 12:44 AM
VW has their issues with their first high pressure fuel pumps as well, I would know since I own one with the problems.

These are not in-tank fuel pumps, they are attached to motor and run off the motor. They take the~50 psi from low pressure fuel pump and turn into into ~125 bar ( around 1,800 PSI).

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Saturday, November 05, 2011 8:41 AM
Jookycola wrote:I just did a google search for "bmw cracked fuel rails" and nothing turned up. So do you have a reliable source for that issue, or just making it up?

He probably has one friend with a BMW that his fuel rail cracked in some way or another, and since they don't know how that freak accident happened, they immediately assume it must be a design flaw calling for a recall....... I see people do that all the time. Sorry but if it doesn't happen on a widespread scale, it's not call for recall, it's call for warranty. If your car is old enough or driven enough miles to be out of power-train warranty, man up and get out your wallet like every other reasonable car owner.

As for the original post, I think it's good to see them jump on a problem like this without owners having to go the media and drag their name through the mud. Some car companies wouldn't get on a problem like this so soon at all. And to anyone crying about it: It's a fuel pump issue that the car goes into limp mode to protect. It's not the engine falling out or seats melting in the sun. So don't flip your lids like every other recall thread. Just saying, before it happens, just don't. lol

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search