Evo X or STI daily driver - thoughts? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Evo X or STI daily driver - thoughts?
Thursday, December 30, 2010 2:04 PM
Assuming either car is purchased completely stock and with low miles, how do you think they would fare in terms of reliability, maintenance costs, fuel economy, ect; all the factors that make a good daily driver, but wrapped in a fun, highly supported package. Do these cars go 150k + miles in stock or lightly modded trim? Also, do you know if the powerplants in either of them run timing CHAINS or BELTS?

Re: Evo X or STI daily driver - thoughts?
Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:54 PM
I would love a STI as a DD.

"Project 69'"
1969 Chevrolet C/10, 1/2 ton, 2wd
-Boosted LS1?
-Richmond ROD 6-speed(will get sometime)
-Posi 12-bolt(built w/eaton posi unit and richmond 3.73 gears)
-Disc brake and 5 lug swap
+little extras
Thursday, December 30, 2010 4:09 PM
Everything I've read between the 2 seem like the STI is the better daily driver choice. You can mod an evo easier to make it faster and whatnot but I think the STI is a better car for DD in stock form.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 4:20 PM
Geo Metro.

hey, gas prices are going up. and you can get Vinyl seats.

That's real vinyl man, just think about it.
LOL

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:14 PM
Sti imo is much better interior wise for DD and if maintained will last 100k+ miles.

Evo is a tuner car, purchased to modify IMO...

also IMHO the Sti AWD is better.

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, December 30, 2010 6:24 PM
I have driven both, The Evo put a bigger smile on my face, but I loved the sound of the STI

Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:24 PM
Sti is more comfortable than an Evo. Better trim, in my opinion more reliable, but you can find more Evo parts for cheap.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:30 PM
My buddy has an 07 STI and its his DD with Cobb Stage 2

Friday, December 31, 2010 12:05 AM
search around nasioc for info. alot of guy on there have owned both. if i remember right if you looking to build to be faster or hp, then go evo. if your looking for good all around car with a better price tag go sti. believe it or not alot of those guys are very rational and truthful.

in my opinion i love the sound of a flat 4 and as soon as i get some debts settled i will be buying a 04 sti or a 10+ sti wagon.

Friday, December 31, 2010 12:35 AM
I'm 99 percent sure I'm purchasing a pre08 sti for my dd within the next month or so.
I plan on keeping it relatively stock, just a tbe, cobb access port, and an intake. That along with manyyyyyy suspensions mods

They do hold up well stock, and the only thing that always needs replaced around 100k miles is the timing belt.
They do get a little worse gas mileage then the evo, but they are(like previously stated) more comfortable, have a better awd system, and more reliable.
Evo is easier to make fast on a budget, but you loose a lot of reliability when you do so.
For a DD STI>EVO for sure

I agree with All points brought up, cept for the geo comment and the interior trim comment.. lol I hate the pre08 sti interior honestly.
I just don't like the blue suede, but that is the only thing I dislike. and the only way around that is to find a limited, and good luck finding one, and funding that... haha

Friday, December 31, 2010 4:24 AM
Friend picked up an 07 limited urban grey metallic 28k miles for $35k. And the interior in his compared to the evo with the factory radio from a 84 mitsu is nowhere near sti caliber.

Friday, December 31, 2010 6:02 AM
CLC wrote:

They do hold up well stock, and the only thing that always needs replaced around 100k miles is the timing belt.

That is a turn off to me. I'm spoiled by the "no maintenance" timing system on the ecotec. From what I've read, the evo x runs a chain. Part of the problem is the EJ engines have been around a long time and their reliability and faults are proven. The Mitsubishi 4B11t is fairly new i suppose.

As far as price tags go, 08+ on either model with around 25k miles are very competitive, basically a draw. Either model is running $25-27k with those miles. I freakin wish GM offered something competitive in this segment. Their awd cars are limited to the automatic trans only CTS, the saab 9-3 XWD (which i've considered), and the upcoming regal GS with will run like $45k. If chevy had a car in this segment, resale value probably would have kicked the price down below $20k by now lol.

Friday, December 31, 2010 7:50 AM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:
CLC wrote:

That is a turn off to me. I'm spoiled by the "no maintenance" timing system on the ecotec. From what I've read, the evo x runs a chain. Part of the problem is the EJ engines have been around a long time and their reliability and faults are proven. The Mitsubishi 4B11t is fairly new i suppose.

As far as price tags go, 08+ on either model with around 25k miles are very competitive, basically a draw. Either model is running $25-27k with those miles. I freakin wish GM offered something competitive in this segment. Their awd cars are limited to the automatic trans only CTS, the saab 9-3 XWD (which i've considered), and the upcoming regal GS with will run like $45k. If chevy had a car in this segment, resale value probably would have kicked the price down below $20k by now lol.

i chuckled when i read this. the man that will strip down an eco to build the snot out of them. yet is to spoiled to change a timing belt every 100k that takes 2-3 hrs to do. besides do you think that you would be owning the car for 60-75k miles? thats like 5-7 years of driving depending of how much you drive.

Friday, December 31, 2010 7:59 AM
CLC wrote:

A Buddy of mine had a 04 Sti and he had to change his Timeing belt i forget the time it takes but he had it done with a hour and a half its not that bad. i would take a STI over a Evo any day. unless it was a Evo 8 MR

Friday, December 31, 2010 8:37 AM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:
CLC wrote:

i chuckled when i read this. the man that will strip down an eco to build the snot out of them. yet is to spoiled to change a timing belt every 100k that takes 2-3 hrs to do. besides do you think that you would be owning the car for 60-75k miles? thats like 5-7 years of driving depending of how much you drive.
Lol I guess i see your point, but if i bought one it would have around 25-30k on it. I would be due in no less than three years with how much/far i drive to work. I've never worked on a boxer 4, honestly i have no clue where in the engine bay the timing belt is even located. Beyond that, what i did with the eco is super cheap relative to screwing up an EJ25. If i drop this kind of coin on a car like this as a daily driver, i'm gonna have it >100k miles to get my money's worth.

Friday, December 31, 2010 9:33 AM
belts are much easier to change the a chain. I know this for a fact. No oil and most just have like a dust cover iirc.

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, December 31, 2010 9:53 AM
CLC wrote:

Lol I guess i see your point, but if i bought one it would have around 25-30k on it. I would be due in no less than three years with how much/far i drive to work. I've never worked on a boxer 4, honestly i have no clue where in the engine bay the timing belt is even located. Beyond that, what i did with the eco is super cheap relative to screwing up an EJ25. If i drop this kind of coin on a car like this as a daily driver, i'm gonna have it >100k miles to get my money's worth.

Strat knows his way around a Subbie engine bay decently well...

"Project 69'"
1969 Chevrolet C/10, 1/2 ton, 2wd
-Boosted LS1?
-Richmond ROD 6-speed(will get sometime)
-Posi 12-bolt(built w/eaton posi unit and richmond 3.73 gears)
-Disc brake and 5 lug swap
+little extras
Friday, December 31, 2010 10:16 AM
i have aa few friends who use an STi as a DD. They love it and it is very reliable.

Anyone whoever tries to DD an EVO ends up modding it lol

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Saturday, January 01, 2011 10:00 PM
CLC wrote:

its cool. i understand that rationality behind it to. i've seen it done. he also replaced the cam seals to. i know like tinkles said strat is very knowledgable in the subie area. i'm really thinking of getting an older sti to.

Sunday, January 02, 2011 12:37 PM
The only Evo experience I have is with 8 and 9s, and none were very reliable after 75,000 miles after driven spirited and a few track days. All evo's were no more than mildly modded, and all killed the clutches.

The only Sti problems I have seen are the central diff. controller failing after 50,000 miles. Three of my buddies all died right after 50,000. It was around a $200 part to fix.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Sunday, January 02, 2011 1:08 PM
STI, gotta love that sound

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, January 02, 2011 1:14 PM
boxers sound retarded. evo all the way.

Sunday, January 02, 2011 1:15 PM
cmon man!

The misfire sound is cool

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, January 02, 2011 1:56 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:boxers sound retarded. evo all the way.

This is a good thing...

The awd in all subies is considered far better than most awd systems due to the equal length driveshafts.

The sound alone of the subie is enough for me...not to mention they run forever.

I actually rolled my moms forrester when I was 16...ran for almost ten minutes upside down before I shut it off....we flipped it back over and my dad drove it to the garage.
Sunday, January 02, 2011 9:28 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:boxers sound retarded. evo all the way.

you know that if you remove the factory unequal length headers and install equal length header the sound changes and you do not hear the miss sound anymore. the equal length headers also improve hp and tq. they actually sound close to an evo after.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search