Electric car's future? (Ford Focus Electric) - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Electric car's future? (Ford Focus Electric)
Saturday, December 25, 2010 5:24 PM
In October, I got drive my first full electric car: the Ford Focus (same one that was on the defunct Jay Leno show). This Focus is the current one found over in Europe, but here Ford removed the combustion engine and in place is a electric engine. A all new Focus will be coming here soon next year replacing ours and theirs.

Upon approaching this car, it does look good. Hunkered down, modern, overall WAY better looking then dowdy Focus we have now. Inside, very roomy, comfy, thick steering wheel feels inviting. Inside, by the center console, you have all sorts of safety leavers, and emergency cut offs to prevent electrocution, very odd to see... . Ford reps told me the production version will be cleaned up.

Starting it up and you hear a slight muted hum, putting it in gear, and you hear whirs, clunks, and clap. Did not like it one bit, I looked at the rep... he said it will be fixed, it is a pre-production mule.
I push down 1/4 on the pedal like you would on a gas engine, and the car would not move. I gave it 1/2 the pedal and it started rolling, let me tell you it is very dangerous to have a pedal this slow, as some one almost T-bone me because my slow ass would not move as I was trying to make a right. Overall, I didn't like it one bit, and it felt 10 times worse then what you'll find in German cars accelerator. Again I asked the rep, he said, that's how the electric car works. Slight lag then a jolt of power. Knowing that all their torque is 0 RPM, we went to a secluded makeshift track and I had at it.
The car itself was very glued to the road, you can feel all the weight on the bottom of the car, but it felt heavy. And the torque... well it's there, but nothing to write home about. The only upside to the acceleration is that there were no down step on a gear change, it is just constant power going the wheels.
Overall ride and handling... nice. Drivability, oh god was it ever horrid.

So the question is, is there a future for this type of car? My answer... speaking in 2010 not really. We all know it has limited range, but I thought the electric jolt was going to better feeling. Not here. It really felt like driving a heavier Prius on the straight line. But I want to give it a chance, but jeez this car was crude. I don't know how Jay Leno did it, but I would have went to Ford and told them to take this POS back and give me a GT500 to use on the track

Onward with the pics, excuse the crappy pics.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Electric car's future? (Ford Focus Electric)
Saturday, December 25, 2010 6:10 PM
@!#$ the electric Focus, give us the European RS Focus.

"Project 69'"
1969 Chevrolet C/10, 1/2 ton, 2wd
-Boosted LS1?
-Richmond ROD 6-speed(will get sometime)
-Posi 12-bolt(built w/eaton posi unit and richmond 3.73 gears)
-Disc brake and 5 lug swap
+little extras
Saturday, December 25, 2010 6:14 PM
I'm guessing the throttle is a simple referenced voltage via a potentiometer. The gains can always change (either with reprogramming or a different pot)...and like you said, all the torque starts at 0RPM and stays flat until the magnetic flux starts to saturate. You shouldn't have much lag. It's a shame you didn't get to drive a purpose built electric like the Tesla.

I have no signiture
Friday, December 31, 2010 3:48 PM
Tesla should be a different animal and you're paying for it too.
But on a commuter car, does any one think there is a future on cars running on pure electric only?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, December 31, 2010 4:32 PM
Tinkles wrote:@!#$ the electric Focus, give us the European RS Focus.

@!#$ing. this. the ONE ford i would want to own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, December 31, 2010 4:33 PM

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, December 31, 2010 4:34 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
But on a commuter car, does any one think there is a future on cars running on pure electric only?

no. the batteries have a long, LONG way to go before this becomes feasible.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, January 04, 2011 8:09 PM
Depends on if the decrease in my gas bill outweighs the increase in my power bill.

Tuesday, January 04, 2011 8:41 PM
Quote:

Depends on if the decrease in my gas bill outweighs the increase in my power bill.

It will...but if you're a "tree-hugger", you won't be happy with the increased carbon footprint.

I have no signiture
Thursday, January 06, 2011 11:16 AM
Tinkles wrote:@!#$ the electric Focus, give us the European RS Focus.

This

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search