2012 Buick Verano - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2012 Buick Verano
Saturday, January 08, 2011 12:11 PM
Viper98912 wrote:I think it's an interesting concept to possibly compete with the luxury small car segment, including the luxury (non-sport) models of the C-class, 3 series, A3/A4, IS, and TSX. Not sure how it'll fair though.
I had not thought of it that way, but you're right - this model would be playing in the same space as the models you mentioned. If its price is up there with said models, i don't think it can compete - most of them have more power and a manual trans option. The Cruze can run almost 25k fully optioned, so this thing is bound to start in that area, likely more.

Saturday, January 08, 2011 3:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine

Read above and move on please.

Josh
SLK 32

Saturday, January 08, 2011 7:34 PM
And oh yes, 200-225hp is about the standard for that class nowadays and hovering around the 29-32k range (plus options).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Monday, January 10, 2011 10:16 AM
Well these are prices GM is playing with.
GM says Verano's key competitors are:
Lexus IS 250, Audi A3
Now I think, they skip on using the American Ecotec Turbo LNF and will be using the 2.0L Turbo from the Saab 9-3 instead, that is my guess as this car is basically a four door Astra. I would like to see a OPC version and name it a GS of some sort.

Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Take note that there will be a 2.0L Turbo. Now on the Regal, it is 220HP & 255HP(GS), will GM raise the Regal's output or do something stupid and let little brother have more power than big brother?
Also take note on the curb weight. OUCH!

Also take note on the parking brake handle.
Our version has a button, while the rest has a mechanical handle.
Pics found here
This is the pricing GM was throwing to the dealers.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=224104&t=207706&p=2&r=2#REPLY
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Update from GM... .

December 2010

Subject: All-New 2012 Buick Compact Car - Order Study

We would like to invite you to participate in an online order study of a potential new addition to the Buick portfolio.

Please note that this potential new entry would be a compact car available in four models. As a result, it is important for us to gauge how you would order this vehicle and in what quantities. In addition, each model builds off of the previous model. Proposed models are as follows:

1.) 1SB Cloth Base
• 2.4L 4-cylinder engine
• 180 hp @ 6700 rpm
• 172 lb-ft of torque @ 4900 rpm
• 6-Speed automatic transmission
Estimated MSRP range: $20,900 - $21,500 *

2.) 1SD Cloth Mid-Level
Adds to 1SB
• Remote Start
• Auto Dual HVAC
• Connected Color Radio with Bluetooth Connectivity
Estimated MSRP range: $22,100 - $22,700*

3.) 1SG Cloth Mid-Level
Adds to 1SB & 1SD
• 6-way power driver
• Heated ORVMs
• Rear Park Assist
• EC ISRVM
Estimated MSRP range: $23,300 - 23,900*

4.) 1SL Leather Up-Level
Adds to 1SB, 1SD & 1SG
• Heated Seats/Steering Wheel
• Passive Entry & Push Button Start
• Bose Premium Audio
• 18” Wheels
Estimated MSRP range: $25,600 – 26,200*

*Note: Total vehicle pricing will NOT be shown in the order study

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, January 10, 2011 5:34 PM
I know it's a small / "starter" luxury car, but if you're going to define it as a luxury car, it should come standard with leather interior. Even equipped with leather it is cheaper than the cars GM is targeting as it's competition, so why not just make it standard on the Buick.

I work on Wall Street, but didn't force you to take out a loan you couldn't afford.
Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:02 AM
^Hey you have $50K Mercedes E-Class and BMW 5-series that carries vinyl as their seating surface: leather, optional. Pathetic.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:24 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:^Hey you have $50K Mercedes E-Class and BMW 5-series that carries vinyl as their seating surface: leather, optional. Pathetic.

On those, yes. On a lower line like the C, acceptable. At the same time, many people in that price range are willing to accept vinyl and would honestly never be able to tell the difference. Now cloth, is a HUGE difference and cloth ABSOLUTELY looks cheap and completely changes an interior in a luxury car. MB tried the cloth deal with the C-coupe about 10 years ago, but that eventually disappeared (along with the car itself). MB does a lot to keep their brand luxury in the US market by removing a lot of lower options and models available to the rest of the world.

It's a mistake for Buick to come out with anything cheaper than a $28k car, it only cheapens the entire brand down to a less-than-luxury brand. Options 1-3 should not be available.

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:37 PM
Viper98912 wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:^Hey you have $50K Mercedes E-Class and BMW 5-series that carries vinyl as their seating surface: leather, optional. Pathetic.

On those, yes. On a lower line like the C, acceptable. At the same time, many people in that price range are willing to accept vinyl and would honestly never be able to tell the difference. Now cloth, is a HUGE difference and cloth ABSOLUTELY looks cheap and completely changes an interior in a luxury car. MB tried the cloth deal with the C-coupe about 10 years ago, but that eventually disappeared (along with the car itself). MB does a lot to keep their brand luxury in the US market by removing a lot of lower options and models available to the rest of the world.

It's a mistake for Buick to come out with anything cheaper than a $28k car, it only cheapens the entire brand down to a less-than-luxury brand. Options 1-3 should not be available.

I see what you're saying. The rest of the world you have Mercedes with hub caps, manual transmissions, I4s, manual windows, FWD, HD Trucks, no wood, etc. But I know they are far from it, especially witnessing how the rest of the world uses them.
I honestly think they can position the Verano to compete against Volvo, VW, Audi, Acura... cars that are FWD, but flashier. But that 2.4L should be hitting min 200HP, and the Turbo should be no less than 250HP, combined with a Astra or OPC tuned chassis.
In the auto industry:
Leather>Cloth>Vinyl
I tend to associate vinyl with work trucks today, not an option in the "luxury" vehicle segment.

My preference:
Cloth>Vinyl>Leather
Leather looks horrible after time & use, it will never look the same as it came out from the factory. Vinyl tends to last better than leather, but when it hits the sun, give me cloth or leather. And if I ever have the option for cloth, cloth will be it. Preferably Red/Black lol

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:40 AM
I don't know, if you take good care of your leather it will look almost brand for a long time. I don't take care of mine like I should, but when I got it from the past owner the seats looked brand new after 6 years. No cracks or wear.

Josh
SLK 32

Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:40 AM
LYC wrote:I don't know, if you take good care of your leather it will look almost brand for a long time.

No it won't. With time you either start loosing the paint used to tint. Start to develop lines on where the leather bends to accomodate the body. Condition it and you start to get the cheap shine and luster, again nothing like what came out of the factory. And conditioning prolongs any dry rot, but if wear and line are naturally formed on the seats, there is nothing you can do to cure it. Leather works like that no matter the price tag it carries and country it came from.

Quote:

I don't take care of mine like I should, but when I got it from the past owner the seats looked brand new after 6 years. No cracks or wear.

I find it hard to believe and I don't expect you to admit it either. But if I physically look at your seat, I will find the wear typical of leather. All in all cloth (to me) is more durable, less maintance, will look the same as it was driven out of the factory and best of all, it won't burn me ass in the summer; that's what matter to me.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, January 14, 2011 1:36 PM
Mr Goodwrench, if you looked at my seat (two year after I purchased it from the previous owner), you will definitely notice wear. I stated above that they looked almost brand new when I got the car not that they look that way now!

Josh
SLK 32

Saturday, January 15, 2011 9:55 AM
Gotcha.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Sunday, January 16, 2011 8:52 AM
I agree with the cloth option needing to be done away with. I dont like leather, personally (for the reasons Goodwrench stated), but most consumers arent gonna care cause they'll be trading the car in within the yr anyway. if they're wanting to compete with the likes of Audi and Lexus, they need to keep it top-of-the-line, cause even the price tags listed with the leather is a reasonable starting price in comparison to said competitors. altho the HP is on the weak side, as said before

I've noticed over the last few yrs that Buick has been ante'ing up and making some damn nice looking cars. the new LaCrosse reminds me of the Acura RL, but alot nicer-looking. I think the brand has to potential to compete if GM doesnt cheap out

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:30 PM
Update. The Turbo is coming in the Fall 2012.
GM has sent out teaser information on the Verano Turbo.
250Hp---"Detuned" (LHU) Regal GS engine--basically same architecture of the LNF.
0-60 6.5 secs.
Updated chassis dynamics.
6-speed auto-- The manual wil come later as it is there in the Regal GS.
Agressive Gear Ratio, with no sacrifice in efficiency.
17in aluminum wheels.
Stabilitrak.

Some old pics from 2011 NAIAS found on the net.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 5:33 PM
now we're talkin!!

Friday, July 15, 2011 4:34 PM
I only wouldn't buy one because I am more interested in a 200 than a Cruze or Verrano or whatever. But I'm still not thrilled with 31mpg on the 200. I do however like the $21K base price of the Touring and the 2K rebate and the power driver seat delete. Decent 4cyl, 6-speed auto, looks nice, cheaper than a comparable Cruze, same mileage. Can't complain. If I really want stupid mileage I'll pay the penalty and get a Fusion Hybrid.

I do now remember why I don't visit this forum anymore. Bickering. Anyway, back to being off my primary bookmark list, you guys have fun.
Friday, July 15, 2011 6:26 PM
Alan Moore wrote:I only wouldn't buy one because I am more interested in a 200 than a Cruze or Verrano or whatever. But I'm still not thrilled with 31mpg on the 200. I do however like the $21K base price of the Touring and the 2K rebate and the power driver seat delete. Decent 4cyl, 6-speed auto, looks nice, cheaper than a comparable Cruze, same mileage. Can't complain. If I really want stupid mileage I'll pay the penalty and get a Fusion Hybrid.

I do now remember why I don't visit this forum anymore. Bickering. Anyway, back to being off my primary bookmark list, you guys have fun.

Goodbye, enjoy your wicked awesome Sebring.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:25 PM

its like its saying "I"M ANGRY FOR NO APPARENT REASON!!!!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 16, 2011 2:26 PM
Attachments
2012-Buick-Verano-Rear-View.jpg (84k)

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 7:55 AM
Update from GM...

2012 Buick Verano Starts at $23,470
New addition to portfolio expected to attract new customers to luxury brand

The all-new 2012 Buick Verano luxury sedan, which goes on sale later this year, will have a starting price of $23,470 including $885 in destination charges.

The Verano offers more passenger and cargo volume than the Acura TSX sedan or Lexus IS 250.

“Verano is a great new addition to Buick because it expands the brand’s reach,” said Tony DiSalle, U.S. vice president of Buick Marketing. “With Verano, we’re inviting new customers into the Buick family, giving us the opportunity and privilege of building longtime Buick loyalty.”

Verano is Buick’s third all-new model in the past three years and the first in the compact segment, delivering the premium features and luxury characteristics that have helped make Buick one of the fastest-growing automotive brands in North America.

The car will be offered in three models, with the top model carrying a suggested retail price of $26,850, including destination charge. All models are powered by a fuel-efficient 2.4L four-cylinder engine mated to a six-speed automatic transmission that delivers 180 hp at 6,700 rpm with 171 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,900 rpm.

The Verano’s exterior is distinguished by sleek lines, blue translucent projector beam headlamps and standard fog lamps and 18-inch multi-spoke, forged alloy, silver-finish wheels, with a premium 18-inch split spoke wheel design available on certain models.

The Verano interior is designed for exceptional seat comfort and support, and contains Buick’s signature acoustic refinement and premium soft-touch materials inspired by the award-winning Buick LaCrosse. A dozen noise-reducing and noise-cancelling technologies are used in more than 50 areas of Verano’s body structure for increased cabin isolation and quietness.

“Rich leather appointments, warm wood tones, metallic accents, soft ambient lighting and intelligent technologies make the cabin an inviting environment,” said David Lyon, executive director of Verano’s design.

Verano standard features include leatherette seating, high-resolution 7-inch diagonal LED backlit color-touch radio display with IntelliLink technology and 10 standard air bags. Automatic climate control, remote start, power windows and steering wheel radio controls are also standard.

The up-level model features the same leather materials used in the LaCrosse. The Verano’s seat heaters automatically activate in temperatures below 45 F (7 C) when using the remote start function, along with rear defogger on all models and heated outside mirrors. Verano also features an available heated steering wheel – an option not found vehicles like the Lexus IS250 or Infiniti G25. Push-button engine start is available on lower-level models, and is standard on the up-level model.

The standard all-new Buick IntelliLink system uses Bluetooth or USB to connect a driver’s smartphone to the touch-screen display radio. IntelliLink expands on Buick’s current Bluetooth and USB capabilities to allow smartphone control via voice activation and steering wheel-mounted controls. It also enables streaming stereo audio from the phone through services like PANDORA® Internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio®. Full functionality requires a compatible Smartphone and data plan rates apply.

In addition to Buick IntelliLink, a nine-speaker Bose sound system specifically engineered for the Verano’s interior is available on all trim levels.

OnStar is standard for six months on all Verano models. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to call for help in the event of a collision. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to send help to other motorists and to call for help in other non-collision emergencies.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 9:12 AM
I like.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 1:12 AM
Seems GM is cheaping out on the newer cars. When I bought my Cobalt last year I got a year of OnStar free. Now the newer GM cars only get 6 months.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Thursday, September 08, 2011 6:13 AM
gm cheaping out? no way.

i didn't like the first couple pics of it, but now seeing the taillights, i love it. bitch looks angry!

Thursday, September 08, 2011 6:45 AM
I think my 03 cav came with 6 months? I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure XM was a year and Onstar was 6 months maybe I'm mixing them.

Friday, December 23, 2011 5:52 AM
we got one of these in today at work all options and in silver its not to bad i can get pics

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:53 AM
Update from GM...

DETROIT – Buick today announced the 2013 Verano Turbo luxury sedan will be powered by an Ecotec 2.0L turbocharged engine with direct injection and continuously variable valve timing that produces an SAE-certified 250 horsepower (187 kW) at 5300 rpm and 260 lb.-ft. (353 Nm) of torque at 2000 rpm. Acceleration from 0-60 mph is an estimated 6.2 seconds.

The Verano Turbo goes on sale later this year.

More than 90 percent of the Verano Turbo’s peak torque – more than 234 lb.-ft. – is available between 1700 to 5500 rpm. Its closest competitor, the 2013 Acura ILX 2.4L, offers a peak of 170 lb.-ft. of torque.

“The 2.0L turbo engine was designed for refinement, higher output capabilities and reduced noise,” said Amy Joss, Ecotec 2.0L assistant chief engineer. “The way it sounds, the power delivery and the refined character are all fitting of a luxury sedan with a fun side.”

In December, Buick’s 2.0L turbocharged Ecotec engine was named one of WardsAuto World’s 2012 10Best Engines for North America. At the time, the publication’s editor-in-chief, Drew Winter, said: “This engine delivers a level of power and sophistication that redefines Buick.”

The choice to use a small-displacement turbocharged engine for a more powerful Verano model is consistent with Buick’s effort to downsize its powertrains without sacrificing performance. Verano and the Regal luxury sport sedan are available exclusively with four-cylinder engines, while the LaCrosse luxury sedan comes standard with a four-cylinder engine paired with eAssist technology, which uses an electric motor and battery to boost both performance and fuel economy. The standard 2013 Regal four-cylinder engine also is equipped with eAssist.

“Buick’s engine strategy continues to be driven by intelligent performance,” said Tony DiSalle, vice president of Buick Marketing. “Four-cylinder engines, turbocharging and eAssist are all the right solutions for today’s market. With these advanced technologies, Buicks are more efficient without sacrificing their smooth, quiet character.”

According to IHS Automotive, use of four-cylinder engines in North American vehicles will grow 74 percent from 6.9 million to 12.2 million units over the next 10 years.

The Verano Turbo will be available with a choice of a six-speed automatic transmission or a six-speed manual gearbox. Including Regal Turbo and Regal GS, the Buick brand offers more manual transmissions than Ferrari and Lamborghini combined.

Acceleration performance is expected to be consistent between the two transmissions.

Fuel economy numbers are not final, but the Verano Turbo is expected to be in line with Buick’s other turbocharged models. Pricing will be announced closer to the start of production in late 2012.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search