2012 Chevrolet Sonic - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:41 AM
KG wrote:

Joe Schulte wrote:

One thing, drum brakes still?

@!#$ it's 2011.



hahahaha Isn't that the truth. Cmon people, we put a man on the moon 42 years ago. Here's proof:












RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...




Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:25 AM
Sooo they stop building the Cobalt......................then eventually come out with this? wow










~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
______________________
WHITECAVY no more
2012 numbers - 4SPD AUTOMATIC!!
328 HP
306 TQ
Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:11 AM
freelancer1988 wrote:

It's not too bad I guess... The front end reminds me of a lancer, but not as aggressive looking. The interior has a Nissan feel to it. Kinda like a 370z and altima mix. I am not saying anything bad about the car, but it seems like something that a Japanese automaker would release. Kinda missing that American built quality I guess. lol. Idunno. I'm done with my .02 cents.

You are talking about how it looks like a 370 and an Altima and you want American built quality???? Please. I would take a Nissan quality built car over an American plastic POS any day of the week.



Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:38 AM
the Jew wrote:

KG wrote:

Joe Schulte wrote:

One thing, drum brakes still?

@!#$ it's 2011.



hahahaha Isn't that the truth. Cmon people, we put a man on the moon 42 years ago. Here's proof:








Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:44 AM
I bet the topped out model sqeakes above 20k dollars, and i bet it weighs in north of 3000lbs. Fail. Agreed on the rear drum brakes. Fail again. Changing the name of what is very obviously a similar if not the same car - Fail yet again. Turbocharged four cylinder that makes less than 100hp/liter - guess what...fail again.

I'm not sure which is the worst, but i'm leaning towards the engine. Everyone else is making almost 100hp/liter naturally freaking aspirated.

With this car, it looks like someone from the 1980's took a sh!t and wrapped it in some fancy wrapping paper.



Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 8:44 AM
I love it!

The sedan looks great and even the hatch is very nice, I like the placement of the rear door handles.

The 1.4 turbo in this thing will scoot. With the Cruze also having this motor and now this, the aftermarket will be all over it.

After seeing what the Cobalt TC guys can do with just a tune, I can see 200-250whp Sonics running around once these hit the streets. That should make for a very fun little car.







Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:00 AM
newt wrote:

what the Cobalt TC guys can do with just a tune, I can see 200-250whp Sonics running around once these hit the streets. That should make for a very fun little car.
I have to disagree here. The LNF can make easy power to an extent because of the direct injection, and the amazing stock fuel system. No other car I've ever seen or heard of can just about double it's factory rated horsepower on a stock fuel system down to the injectors.

For 1.4t to do what you are saying, injectors would need to be upgraded, and extensive tuning would be required. I don't expect HPtuners to pick up these platforms on the forefront (in fact i would bet large sums of money on it), so tuning would be relegated to mail order or remote tuning. Also, since the turbo is "intergrated" into the exhaust manifold, you are looking at a bigger expense, and more R&D to upgrade the turbo.

I hope I'm wrong, but almost everything about this car screams fail to me.



Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:15 AM
looks like an aveo



Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:18 AM
Jookycola wrote:

So this would basically rape a Cruze performance wise. Why even have a Cruze then?

Larger interior room and sedan trunk space. The Cruze should've used the Cobalt's engines and leave the Cruze's engines for the Aveo err... Sonic.

Brocklanders wrote:

I'm gonna just say it.... I Like it!
6 speed with the title turbo motor sounds like fun, Torsion beam rear suspension is a let down though Pricing determines a lot here.

I agree. It is a cheap and rudimentary suspension that works well for engineering and fabricating costs and cabin packaging, but not the best for control and feel. You can band aid it with tuning, but in the end it is a band aid fix.

oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:

I bet the topped out model sqeakes above 20k dollars, and i bet it weighs in north of 3000lbs. Fail. Agreed on the rear drum brakes. Fail again. Changing the name of what is very obviously a similar if not the same car - Fail yet again. Turbocharged four cylinder that makes less than 100hp/liter - guess what...fail again.

I'm not sure which is the worst, but i'm leaning towards the engine. Everyone else is making almost 100hp/liter naturally freaking aspirated.

With this car, it looks like someone from the 1980's took a sh!t and wrapped it in some fancy wrapping paper.

Take note that this 1.4L I4 makes a paltry 84HP@ 4800 with out a turbo in the Volt.
Also as of now, this is the most powerful sub-compact in the class.



>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:16 PM
I'd take it...with a order of chili cheese tots and a Route 44 Limeade.

I like the Aveo name much better than Sonic.
Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:21 PM
First thing I saw that pissed me off to was drum brakes and then twist beam rear axle. Some things should have been phased out some time ago.





Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:31 PM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:

newt wrote:

what the Cobalt TC guys can do with just a tune, I can see 200-250whp Sonics running around once these hit the streets. That should make for a very fun little car.
I have to disagree here. The LNF can make easy power to an extent because of the direct injection, and the amazing stock fuel system. No other car I've ever seen or heard of can just about double it's factory rated horsepower on a stock fuel system down to the injectors.

For 1.4t to do what you are saying, injectors would need to be upgraded, and extensive tuning would be required. I don't expect HPtuners to pick up these platforms on the forefront (in fact i would bet large sums of money on it), so tuning would be relegated to mail order or remote tuning. Also, since the turbo is "intergrated" into the exhaust manifold, you are looking at a bigger expense, and more R&D to upgrade the turbo.

I hope I'm wrong, but almost everything about this car screams fail to me.

Trifecta Tuning-
Quote:

It's been a busy few weeks here at Trifecta! We purchased a Chevy Cruze LTZ a few weeks ago, and as you might expect it didn't stay stock for too long. We've been busy tuning and tweaking and managed to get a gain of about 36HP and 54TQ on an otherwise completely stock vehicle. This is a 31% gain in HP and 38% gain in torque! Check out the dyno section for the official dyno sheet! We are setting the retail price on our Cruze tune at $350, and will be offering the tune for $300 for the rest of the year as an introductory offer


ZZP, minor mods-
Quote:

We will post up dynos as we release parts.

Torque gains were higher than that. I think I have seen over 210 ft lbs now.










Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:33 PM
A pretty cool vid... maybe it's just the engineer in me and the opening sequence, lol






Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:18 PM
I drive a silver car wrote:

First thing I saw that pissed me off to was drum brakes and then twist beam rear axle. Some things should have been phased out some time ago.



Its a cheap car, what did you expect?


Drum breaks and a twist beam axle do not bother me in any way. Maybe on an all out performance car but not on a bottom barrel car. Discs and independent suspension add cost, weight, complexity, and potential problems.



Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 7:43 PM
mitdr774 wrote:

I drive a silver car wrote:

First thing I saw that pissed me off to was drum brakes and then twist beam rear axle. Some things should have been phased out some time ago.



Its a cheap car, what did you expect?


Drum breaks and a twist beam axle do not bother me in any way. Maybe on an all out performance car but not on a bottom barrel car. Discs and independent suspension add cost, weight, complexity, and potential problems.


This.


Kids these days...



Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Tuesday, January 11, 2011 9:20 PM
mitdr774 wrote:

I drive a silver car wrote:

First thing I saw that pissed me off to was drum brakes and then twist beam rear axle. Some things should have been phased out some time ago.



Its a cheap car, what did you expect?


Drum breaks and a twist beam axle do not bother me in any way. Maybe on an all out performance car but not on a bottom barrel car. Discs and independent suspension add cost, weight, complexity, and potential problems.


Drum breaks?
Last i remember, a break is something you get at work to eat lunch. Brakes are things on cars that make you stop.
just sayin'.
LOL






2007 Corvette Z51 | Suzuki Swift GTi SCCA racer | 2008 Edge
Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:00 AM
I saw the trifecta and zzp developments on the cruze. While they are a decent gain percentage wise, it's still not a 200-250 whp powerplant. Not with just a tune.

I stick by the statement that this 1.4t has nothing in common with the LNF. According to the info here, it's a port fuel injection engine. It's impressive that trifecta and zzp got what they did without having to at least throw higher flow injectors in. Also, you still have the "integrated turbo" hurdle to jump. If it reaches 200 "whp" fully bolted and maxed out, that will be impressive, but a waste of money IMO, when the same money will get you 350+ on the LNF.



Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:40 AM
Evol...??? wrote:

mitdr774 wrote:

I drive a silver car wrote:

First thing I saw that pissed me off to was drum brakes and then twist beam rear axle. Some things should have been phased out some time ago.



Its a cheap car, what did you expect?


Drum breaks and a twist beam axle do not bother me in any way. Maybe on an all out performance car but not on a bottom barrel car. Discs and independent suspension add cost, weight, complexity, and potential problems.


Drum breaks?
Last i remember, a break is something you get at work to eat lunch. Brakes are things on cars that make you stop.
just sayin'.
LOL



Never claimed my spelling was top notch, and its been over 3 years since i had to spell brake on a regular basis. Cant you cut me some slack???





Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:25 AM
Ok, I'll give you a "break" but only because you asked nicely.
(pun intended)







2007 Corvette Z51 | Suzuki Swift GTi SCCA racer | 2008 Edge
Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:53 PM
Damn that thing is fugly! Typical GM. They must have a bunch of fudge packers as design stylists.



FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:34 AM
didnt we have this thread and video a yr or so ago when they revealed the new (at-the-time) Aveo.. with the same exact front end, profile and rear? jus saying

stupid name aside, I like it alot. but then again, I've always been jelly of the euro-trash hot hatches that we dont get.. like the Peugeot 206, the VW Polo, the REAL Focus RS. its about time GM got with the program.. minus the rear drums lol



R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance

Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:09 AM
mitdr774 wrote:

I drive a silver car wrote:

First thing I saw that pissed me off to was drum brakes and then twist beam rear axle. Some things should have been phased out some time ago.



Its a cheap car, what did you expect?


Drum breaks and a twist beam axle do not bother me in any way. Maybe on an all out performance car but not on a bottom barrel car. Discs and independent suspension add cost, weight, complexity, and potential problems.

completely agree as well. This is an entry level car, not a Corvette beater. Not every car produced has to come off the line ready to compete in an F1 race. Most people don't drive like that. They drive to and from work and the grocery store. Boring but true.



Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Monday, January 17, 2011 8:44 AM
Dave Z wrote:

mitdr774 wrote:

I drive a silver car wrote:

First thing I saw that pissed me off to was drum brakes and then twist beam rear axle. Some things should have been phased out some time ago.



Its a cheap car, what did you expect?


Drum breaks and a twist beam axle do not bother me in any way. Maybe on an all out performance car but not on a bottom barrel car. Discs and independent suspension add cost, weight, complexity, and potential problems.


This.


Kids these days...


No this is still ridiculous cheap car or not. There are plenty of cheap cars out that there that come IRS and rear disks. Your using this as a cop out. IMO drums are a thing of the past and can't be that much less to manufacture of disks it's not like they need to design them they have them on many small GM cars period. Get with the times and be competitive.




Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Monday, January 17, 2011 9:03 AM
How long do rear disc brakes last? How long do read drum brakes last? I have two vehicles that went over 100k before needing the rear drums and shoes replaced. I keep my brakes adjusted and cleaned. Drums outlast rotors. On a small commuter car I prefer drums in the back. They work and keep maintainence costs down.



Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Monday, January 17, 2011 10:07 AM
I drive a silver car wrote:

Dave Z wrote:

mitdr774 wrote:

I drive a silver car wrote:

First thing I saw that pissed me off to was drum brakes and then twist beam rear axle. Some things should have been phased out some time ago.



Its a cheap car, what did you expect?


Drum breaks and a twist beam axle do not bother me in any way. Maybe on an all out performance car but not on a bottom barrel car. Discs and independent suspension add cost, weight, complexity, and potential problems.


This.


Kids these days...


No this is still ridiculous cheap car or not. There are plenty of cheap cars out that there that come IRS and rear disks. Your using this as a cop out. IMO drums are a thing of the past and can't be that much less to manufacture of disks it's not like they need to design them they have them on many small GM cars period. Get with the times and be competitive.

Amen.



>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search