9-Speed Automatic Transmission - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
9-Speed Automatic Transmission
Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:31 AM
When 8 speed was not enough. This transmission will start on the all new Dodge Caravan in 2013 and trickle over to many more later on.

From ZF...
ZF Develops 9-Speed Automatic Transmission for Passenger Cars

-Development of the world's first 9-speed automatic passenger car transmission
-Significant improvements in fuel economy expected

Under high pressure - ZF is working on the development of new fuel-efficient transmission generations. The latest innovation: an entirely new automatic passenger car transmission, developed with 9 gears for vehicles with a transverse engine.
Already at the IAA 2009 (International Motor Show) in Frankfurt, Germany, ZF presented a concept study for front-transverse transmissions which has entered serial development now. Approximately 80 percent of all passenger cars worldwide feature a transverse engine installation. ZF is developing a state-of-the-art automatic transmission for this type of engine installation, which will significantly improve fuel economy. All around the world, new customer segments will be conquered with this transmission. Transmission production has been scheduled for Greenville, SC, USA.

Fuel economy and increased performance
With its 9-speed automatic transmission for vehicles with transverse installed engines, ZF will once again establish a benchmark in terms of fuel consumption. Compared to today's standard 6-speed automatic transmissions for front-transverse design, ZF's new 9-speed automatic transmission clearly improves both driving performance and fuel economy. The modern shock absorber systems in the torque converter, which make a rapid lock-up of the converter clutch possible, also mean better fuel economy and lower CO emissions.

Just like the 8-speed automatic transmission for longitudinal installation, the new 9-speed front-transverse transmission ensures that the extremely short response and shifting times are clearly below the threshold of perception. This means that double shifts and direct multiple gearshifts are also made possible. Thus, the new transmission system is equipped with the same 'sporty genes' as already its 8-speed automatic transmission predecessors; in conjunction with the excellent shift comfort characteristics, they certainly entail ultimate customer satisfaction.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: 9-Speed Automatic Transmission
Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:37 AM
That's a lot of gears. I wonder how acceleration feels with so many.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:15 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Fuel economy and increased performance
With its 9-speed automatic transmission for vehicles with transverse installed engines, ZF will once again establish a benchmark in terms of fuel consumption. Compared to today's standard 6-speed automatic transmissions for front-transverse design, ZF's new 9-speed automatic transmission clearly improves both driving performance and fuel economy. The modern shock absorber systems in the torque converter, which make a rapid lock-up of the converter clutch possible, also mean better fuel economy and lower CO emissions.

I'm not so sure they should have said "clearly." I don't see how either of those are obvious. It's not like 9 or 16 gears were never possible before. There are sacrifices that are made when you keep piling on rotating mass to a drivetrain.

I have no signiture
Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:34 AM
So does Nissan have a patent on the continuous automatic transmission? Cause it sounds like this is just a reach to get closer to that.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:39 AM
Eternal wrote:That's a lot of gears. I wonder how acceleration feels with so many.

Don't know about a 9 speed tranny, but my friends 8 speed auto tranny in her Lexus IS-F is pretty sick! Its like nothing I have ever felt. Of course this is coming from someone who has only driven 5speeds in a J lol, but I would take this 8 speed auto over any manual car.

During acceleration you can actual hear the gears shift like its a manual, it's not THAT obvious because of the Lexus IS-F exhaust but you can still hear the shifting that's going on.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:02 PM
Hmmm.... it looks like a Turbo encabulator!!! . And also, for being 9 speeds, I'm surprised on how compact it actually looks. I'm betting its got some sort of twin layshaft design that allows for so many speeds.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:48 PM
Hell, all they'd need is two derailleurs to get to ten speeds!

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Thursday, January 13, 2011 1:05 PM
id imagine it shifts just about every 1000 rpm... which would be NUTS under WOT.

it'd better be fast or your gonna lose a ton of time with all that shifting... but if its for fuel econ, who cares? LOL

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:06 PM
This is beginning to remind me of the razor blade wars... the mach three... then four blades... then five blades..

Roofy wrote:Hmmm.... it looks like a Turbo encabulator!!! .

Classic!

Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:35 PM
Sounds like it will start being very similar to the transmissions in the large trucks. You probably have a main gear set with a planetery gear set that acts as a splitter so it gives you a sense of so many gears. Thats how I think it will end up being...but who knows really. I just do not think you can package 9 actual gear sets inside such a small place. A main gear set with a planetary set just makes sense I think. But Im no engineer so only ZF truely knows how its all packaged together.
Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:21 PM
bradsk88 wrote:So does Nissan have a patent on the continuous automatic transmission? Cause it sounds like this is just a reach to get closer to that.

CVTs do not hold up well when used in conjunction with a high torque engine. They are also rather expensive and surprisingly complex. Its been a few years since I looked into them though.

Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:44 PM
Quote:

CVTs do not hold up well when used in conjunction with a high torque engine. They are also rather expensive and surprisingly complex. Its been a few years since I looked into them though.

My Nissan stealership quoted me 460$ bucks only to change the oil of my CVT when I had my pos Versa burrito mobile. lol
Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:35 PM
From what I recall Nissan used some special fluid that was ONLY used in their CVT. The Nissan dealer I worked at had several CVT failures, Maurano i believe.

Friday, January 14, 2011 4:58 AM
Can we get a 9-speed manual please?

Friday, January 14, 2011 6:36 AM
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:Can we get a 9-speed manual please?

Here is you after 9 months of shifting 9 gears

Friday, January 14, 2011 6:50 AM
Eternal wrote:
oldskool (eco meatcake) wrote:Can we get a 9-speed manual please?

Here is you after 9 months of shifting 9 gears

LOL!!!

Friday, January 14, 2011 10:07 AM
Yeah dude, I only use 3 of my 6 under normal driving conditions.. lol

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Friday, January 14, 2011 3:15 PM
mitdr774 wrote:
bradsk88 wrote:So does Nissan have a patent on the continuous automatic transmission? Cause it sounds like this is just a reach to get closer to that.

and they do not have a long life expectancy even in weak engines.
Friday, January 14, 2011 7:42 PM
Dodge has enough trouble trying to make a 4 speed, how will twice as many gears+ help?

Saturday, January 15, 2011 10:22 AM
WHITECAVY wrote:
Eternal wrote:That's a lot of gears. I wonder how acceleration feels with so many.

Don't know about a 9 speed tranny, but my friends 8 speed auto tranny in her Lexus IS-F is pretty sick! Its like nothing I have ever felt.

That's because the car is a hot rod, but in seriousness the with 8 gears, the car tends to hunt on which gear to stay. On balls to the wall driving, the car revs to where it can extract the most power in the rev range. Personally, give me a 5 or 6 speed manual with 4-5 short gears and 5-6 be tall enough for leisure and fuel efficient drives.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search