2012 Chevrolet Sonic - Page 3 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Monday, January 17, 2011 11:45 AM
mitdr774 wrote:How long do rear disc brakes last? How long do read drum brakes last? I have two vehicles that went over 100k before needing the rear drums and shoes replaced. I keep my brakes adjusted and cleaned. Drums outlast rotors. On a small commuter car I prefer drums in the back. They work and keep maintainence costs down.

You got it....it's about the cost upkeep here. IRS tends to be a pita at times when it ages...

So if you don't like the car, it's simple, buy something else. Or just make your own.

Monday, January 17, 2011 2:04 PM
Why because it has a few more moving parts on bushings, just like the front end of every car? Or is it the brakes, please tell me how drum breaks require less maintenance over disks. You shouldn't have to rule a car out of a purchasing decision based on a rear axle and disks brakes when all cars should now have them standard.

Monday, January 17, 2011 6:30 PM
I drive a silver car wrote:
Dave Z wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:
I drive a silver car wrote:First thing I saw that pissed me off to was drum brakes and then twist beam rear axle. Some things should have been phased out some time ago.

Its a cheap car, what did you expect?

Drum breaks and a twist beam axle do not bother me in any way. Maybe on an all out performance car but not on a bottom barrel car. Discs and independent suspension add cost, weight, complexity, and potential problems.

This.

Kids these days...

No this is still ridiculous cheap car or not. There are plenty of cheap cars out that there that come IRS and rear disks. Your using this as a cop out. IMO drums are a thing of the past and can't be that much less to manufacture of disks it's not like they need to design them they have them on many small GM cars period. Get with the times and be competitive.

The Honda Fit, which would be a competitor to the Sonic, has front disk / rear drum brakes and a torsion beam rear suspension. Toyota Yaris? same thing.

Monday, January 17, 2011 7:15 PM
Find me a rear disc setup that will go over 100k without being replaced several times. Gm switched to rear disc on the trucks and then went back to drums. The discs were more hassel, repair cost, and inconvenience than they were a benefit. Most of todays vehicles do NOT need rear disc brakes. Ever wonder why semis and busses still use drums???

Edit to fix auto correct choosing wrong word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:24 AM

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:59 AM
Twist beam and drum brakes or not, people will pay for this garbage because they think they are getting a value. The people who are saying, "the car is not a race car nor competing with the vette" are right, but does it really hurt to put some energy into modern design? I mean, this segment is all about economy and value - what are you getting for your dollar? If i wanted to stick my fist in last year's overweight turd, i would have become a proctologist...

With all the cues GM is taking from the European market (as well korean), you'd think they would find a suitable platform for this segment that efficiently utilizes modern yet basic ideas. Instead, we get "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Sounds familiar...sort of like the platform we all know and love...

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:57 AM
mitdr774 wrote:Find me a rear disc setup that will go over 100k without being replaced several times. Gm switched to test disc on the trucks and then went back to drums. The discs were more hassel, repair cost, and inconvenience than they were a benefit. Most of todays vehicles do NOT need rear disc brakes. Ever wonder why semis and busses still use drums???

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:06 AM
zero wrote:
I drive a silver car wrote:
Dave Z wrote:
mitdr774 wrote:
I drive a silver car wrote:First thing I saw that pissed me off to was drum brakes and then twist beam rear axle. Some things should have been phased out some time ago.

Its a cheap car, what did you expect?

Drum breaks and a twist beam axle do not bother me in any way. Maybe on an all out performance car but not on a bottom barrel car. Discs and independent suspension add cost, weight, complexity, and potential problems.

This.

Kids these days...

No this is still ridiculous cheap car or not. There are plenty of cheap cars out that there that come IRS and rear disks. Your using this as a cop out. IMO drums are a thing of the past and can't be that much less to manufacture of disks it's not like they need to design them they have them on many small GM cars period. Get with the times and be competitive.

The Honda Fit, which would be a competitor to the Sonic, has front disk / rear drum brakes and a torsion beam rear suspension. Toyota Yaris? same thing.

That's buisness... charge like it has rear discs and a IRS, while still having rear drums and torsion beam. It is all about profits and lowering the cost of building. That chain will break when a competitor brings out what the public wants/needs at the same price.
But unfortunatly even the cheap cars in the past had more sophistcated components then today's cheap cars. So in other words, it can be done.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 2:32 PM
And should be done. I personally have owned 2 vehicles that required a total of one rotor swap and two pads in the rear over the lifetime of the vehicle. I personally owned 5 vehicles that have drums. 2 were cavs and needed to be adjusted constantly since there is no weight in the back and they don't properly adjust. 1 brake job on my 03 in the rear 35,000 miles. 1 in my 02 (don't remember mileage) both under 100k. Both of my fords had issues and needed to be repaired multiple times.

There are multiple vehicles I can list that have had excellent track records more so then drums by far. IRS would be more arguable Drums not at all. Are the absolutley necessary NO. But then again neither was air bags, abs, seat belts, where did those drums in the front go? so on and so fourth. INNOVATION people, drums had there time and it should have been time to move on since the 90s. Argue all you want, but until companies choose to move forward or are forced you can stay at a stand still forever. You tell all companies drum brakes are no longer allowed to be sold in the U.S. and its amazing how quick they would find a way to add them and keep costs the same or comparable.

If you can honestly disagree with what I stated, I don't think I will waste my time arguing. Drum brakes for sure should have been gone years ago and IRS should be nearly standard as well.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:02 PM
the one thing you cant really complain about is that a Cavalier with ABS and rear drums stops pretty damn good considering the rear brakes and what they are. but then again, I've talked to quite a few ppl who've done RDB swap on their j's and were happier with them (and I mean ppl who did the Neon swap right up to ppl who've done the Wilwood conversion). my personal gripe is the fact that I HATE doing the brakes on the back cause I hate drums. I'd much rather do all 4 discs and pads than drums. but like I said, personal preference

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:25 PM
An Aveo by anyother name is still an Aveo, but I bet this one will still be too heavy. Ever notice how a 4 cylinder economy car with an aluminum block these days weighs more than muscle car with a cast iron v8 block from the early 90's? And they blame slumping new car sales and booming used car sales on the poor economy.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:47 PM
I never said that they aren't "adequate" in certain scenarios. I'm speaking in terms of innovation, they had there run and it's time to move on. A cavalier can stop appropriately, then again put the same cavalier somewhere in CO in the mountains and you will notice some kind of a difference. Unfortunately sometimes the consumer needs to push companies in the proper direction. What is the motivation for a company who can do things at the least possible cost that just works but will still sell because that's is your options, none.

You can have it any color you want as long as it's black...

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:13 AM
Something to think about, Drum brakes have a bigger braking surface area than disc brakes that's why Semi's, Busses and other large vehicles use them. Disc brakes are lighter though and on vehicles below a certain weight offer better braking performance than Drum brakes. If you buy a decent pair of rear drum pads they should last 1.5 -2x longer than the front disc brake pads since most of the stopping is done with the front brakes.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:18 AM
If anyone has ever tried to lock up the rear wheels in a car with disk brakes in the back durring the winter, you'd like drums a lot more... lol

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:16 PM
Ill take fiesta.
Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:49 PM
Schaffer wrote:Ill take fiesta.

You wouldn't if you even sat in one first. Completely terrible car, at least the one at the boston auto show was. It weighs like 500 pounds more than my cavalier and has less space inside and no power.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 5:43 PM
Or a focus.
Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:16 AM
fugly, slow, unimpressive fuel mileage, not very good value

I see nothing at all to like

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:48 AM
Leafy wrote:

You wouldn't if you even sat in one first. Completely terrible car, at least the one at the boston auto show was. It weighs like 500 pounds more than my cavalier and has less space inside and no power.

Weight:
Cavalier LS Sport coupe (manual): 2712 lbs
Ford Fiesta 5-door (manual): 2537lbs

Total passenger
volume (cu. ft.):
Cavalier coupe: 86.7
Fiesta: 85.1

HP:
Cavalier's 2.2L DOHC : 140HP
Fiesta's 1.6L DOHC: 120HP

Really not to shabby.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:51 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
Leafy wrote:

Weight:

Total passenger
volume (cu. ft.):

HP:

Really not to shabby.

But have you sat in one? Ever rocked one side to side? Its not a quality car if the struts sound blown out after maybe getting on and off a car carrier 5 times while touring the auto shows.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:06 AM
Leafy wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
Leafy wrote:

Weight:

Total passenger
volume (cu. ft.):

HP:

Really not to shabby.

But have you sat in one? Ever rocked one side to side? Its not a quality car if the struts sound blown out after maybe getting on and off a car carrier 5 times while touring the auto shows.

In 2009 I was already driving one here in the states and ran it hard through the cones and on a high speed oval thanks to Ford. The car was fun to drive and found it very comfy (maybe because I'm no giant), great view out and ergonomically correct. Last year I went through the same paces in a US-spec version, and my my evaluation didn't change much.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:19 AM
hmmm, possible lemon at the car show, or it could have been a super base model. I just wish they'd sell the Fiesta RS here, now that looks impressive.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:30 AM
Well, expect a 1.6L Ecoboost version soon, it is now pegging in at around the 180-190HP range complete with a more aggressive look and retuned suspension. I think you'll like that one.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:33 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Well, expect a 1.6L Ecoboost version soon, it is now pegging in at around the 180-190HP range complete with a more aggressive look and retuned suspension. I think you'll like that one.

I guess hp tuners needs to start expanding their ford support past v8's and onto ecoboost.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 5:05 AM
After seeing the pre-production version of this thing in person, It's definitely a glorified/updated aveo. The funny things they placed the sonic on the opposite side of the chevy area as the current aveo lol.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:26 PM
Update from GM... .

-Exterior accessories include ground effects, exhaust tip, spoiler, mirror caps, grille surrounds, graphics and 16- or 17-inch painted alloy wheels
-Interior accessories include aluminum sport pedals and sill plates
-On sale by the end of 2011

Chevrolet today introduced the first production Z-Spec accessories for the 2012 Sonic, an all-new small car hitting the streets this fall. The Sonic Z-Spec portfolio – which will be showcased at the New York International Auto Show – includes “Color Out” accent packages with contrasting-color exterior parts and graphics that express the car’s performance characteristics.

The Sonic combines a youthful, aggressive design with turbocharged performance and agile ride and handling. When equipped with an available, efficient 1.4L turbo, it is expected to achieve an estimated 40 mpg highway.

“The new Z-Spec accessories reinforce Sonic’s fun, youthful spirit,” said Rick Scheidt, vice president, Chevrolet marketing. “Customization is particularly important with the customers we believe will gravitate toward the Sonic, and we want to help them make their vehicle look exactly the way they want as easily as possible.”

The Z-Spec accessories will initially include body-color ground effects (with a silver exhaust tip), contrasting mirror caps and roof spoiler, contrasting upper and lower grille surrounds and a body graphics package, along with 16- and 17-inch painted alloy wheels. The ground effects kit features a front fascia extension, rocker panel extensions, rear fascia extension and silver exhaust tip.

Interior upgrades include aluminum sport pedals and sill plates.

Z-Spec also includes color accent packages in “Black Out” or “White Out.” These “Color Out” packages, displayed on vehicles at the New York Auto Show, feature black accents on a Summit White Sonic and Summit White accents on an Inferno Orange Sonic.

“Sonic is a great canvas for customization, and Z-Spec offers a cohesive design with a family of factory-engineered accessories and graphics,” said Scheidt.

Z-Spec parts can be purchased individually, to suit customer tastes and budgets, or can be purchased as a complete package. When the parts are purchased with the Sonic and installed by the dealer, customers can roll the cost into their monthly payments.

Additional accessories will be available for the Sonic, ranging from the fashionable to the functional, such as chrome mirror caps and door handles to cargo nets and trunk trays. Additional graphics packages also will be available in the future.

The accessorized Sonics on display in New York share traits with the Z-Spec concept versions of the Cruze, Spark and Volt shown at the 2010 SEMA show. For example, each wore ground effects kits, rear spoilers and Z-Spec-specific grilles, as well as Z-Spec graphics.

Sonic at a glance

The Sonic is offered in two body styles: a four-door sedan and a sporty five-door. Each delivers class-leading rear-seat roominess and cargo space. A variety of connectivity features enhance the driving experience.

Sonic is offered with an efficient Ecotec 1.4L turbo engine rated at an estimated 138 horsepower (103 kW) – 18 horsepower (14 kW) more than Ford Fiesta – and 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm), between 1,850 rpm and 4,900 rpm. It is expected to deliver 40 mpg on the highway (EPA estimates pending).

A standard Ecotec 1.8L engine is paired with a five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission, delivering an estimated at 135 horsepower (101 kW) and 123 lb.-ft. of torque (167 Nm) at 3,800 rpm.

The Sonic will be built at the Orion Assembly Center in Orion Township, Mich., making it the only subcompact to be built in the United States.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search