Time to turbo the cobalt! - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Time to turbo the cobalt!
Saturday, January 29, 2011 2:31 AM
I got my 2006 ss/sc a little over a year ago and parted out the cav. After messing around with the supercharger set up it got a little boring. Once you ride around in a sub 500 cav it doenst take much to get bored. Due to this lack of boredem I decided to start building a turbo kit. The goal for the car is 300 hp DD. Here is what I have so far!

Vulcan log manifold
Garrett T3/TO4E 57 trim (hopefully will have a antisurge housing for it)
LK9 Intake manifold
Tial 38mm wastegate
Open dump
Stattima BOV (ZZP Tial knock off) Hopefully it works...
750cc Injectors
2.2 Tensioner pulley
2.2 Belt
Welded lsj alternator (Damn one way clutch)
3" cold side charge piping
2.5" hot side charge piping
Hahn intercooler
3" exhaust (going to modify my old cti cav exhaust)
dynomax ultraflow bullet muffler (for resonator)
dynomax ultraflow muffler (for the track and summer)
Removeable section for the stock muffler (For DD use and when the wife is riding with me lol)
Custom dash dual gauge pod (made it myself, didnt turn out too bad)
LM1 wide band
Innovate G3 AFR gauge
Innovate G3 Oil Pressure gauge (on the turbo feed line)
Greddy profec boost controller

The teardown starts today, once I sleep and hopefully selling the supercharger set up on sunday. Just bought a house in June last year and finally got my pole barn to the point where I can do some work in it. It will be nice to actually have space to work on cars, instead of using half of my moms garage. I will update as I can. Thanks for looking

Re: Time to turbo the cobalt!
Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:53 AM
Cant wait to see the progress

Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:10 AM
Thanks for including us in your build plans! Should be a fun toy

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:42 AM
jbmarks- you know i'll be up tomorrow to pick that kit up. your build looks pretty sweet to.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:39 AM
Enjoy man, 300hp shouldn't be an issue at all.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 5:07 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:Enjoy man, 300hp shouldn't be an issue at all.
This. And considering how easy it is to turn up the boost, >300hp is probably in its future

Sunday, January 30, 2011 10:09 PM
thanks for the supercharger. now get that bish together.

Monday, January 31, 2011 12:18 AM
Jason no problem man let me know if you have any questions!

Got all the sc items off the car yesterday and Jason came and picked it all up. Got the new tensioner on. Welded the alternator and installed it as well. I should have most of items I havent recieved yet today and tuesday.

Got the turbo manifold, intake manifold, and intercooler on and started to figure out how I am going to run my charge pipes.

Dont mind the yellow, going with wrinkle black for the manifold and charge pipes

I love the way this intercooler looks. Fits perfect!! Thanks Bill

Yum!

Ran into a couple snags. I am going to run my hot side charge pipes under the motor, no exceptions. Looks cleaner and adds to the sleeper looks. I was planning on running the hot side under and to the passenger side but the ac lines and washer fluid make it really tight to fit in there. I am now going to run it to the drivers side and have the bov mounted where it is mostly covered. This means the washer bottle needs to be moved to the drivers side. No biggie just get one from a 2.2/2.4 cobalt and extend the wires, easy enough. With the BOV on the hot side I shouldnt have any problems making sure my MAF has plenty of straight pipe to run in.

Now on to the turbo manifold. Looks great mounted. I know some cobalts have trouble with thier compressor housings hitting the fire wall so I was expecting that. When I went to mount the turbo clocked in the position I wanted it, the compressor housing hits the waterpump/thermostat housing. Damn... I didnt have a whole lot of time too look at it so I will spend a little more time trying to get it to work, but not much. After that I tried the wastegate, well that hits the ac line. Well @!#$...lol. Could modify the manifold to make it work though...

So now I am at a cross roads. I know ZZP's manifold allows them to run thier turbos clocked the way I want and the wastegate mount is lower, so do I pick one of those up? I would have to find someone to buy this manifold, maybe Gary would buy it back. Or there is someone willing to trade thier vulcan tubular header for mine plus a little cash. The only thing is it has a mitsu flange on it and no wastegate. I have no problems making those modifications. Makes the dump tube easier and I can get a better flowing header. Hmm what to do, what to do...

Any suggestions?

Monday, January 31, 2011 12:29 AM
Wow this looks like it is going to be an awesome build man. Cant wait to see progress!

Monday, January 31, 2011 3:54 AM
Do you want a L61 crank pulley?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, January 31, 2011 10:05 AM
Got manifolds. Hit me up if you would like to learn more.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Monday, January 31, 2011 12:43 PM
This is what I like to see, maybe this year we can race again??

Monday, January 31, 2011 10:28 PM
arrival_04_eco (green98cav) wrote:This is what I like to see, maybe this year we can race again??

Yeah we can race again!! Hopefully my clutch holds lol.

-MD- Enforcer wrote:Do you want a L61 crank pulley?

I will just use mine, thanks though!!!

Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:Got manifolds. Hit me up if you would like to learn more.

External Wastegate? Sent ya a pm! For ZZP's price

I know hahn's manifold can mount a gt35 (future turbo) but I havent seen one with an external wastegate, I know its possible. Did a little searching and I think ZZP's manifold will be my best bet. Here are some reference pics...

I think my little TO4E will clear haha. Should have room for the gt35 in the future as well, If fetter doesnt convince me to run one of his manifolds!!

I might mess around with the vulcan manifold some more but most likely will send it back to Gary. Might have some more updates on Wed, no work. The wife will be gone for the next couple weekends so should have some pretty good progress!!

Thanks for looking!

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 8:24 AM
just wondering. but since they released the ss/tc factory, why does everyone have problems running a aftermart turbo setup? did they cnange the firewall setup or location on the tc? or is the manifold just constructed different than all the aftermarket ones? i really have no clue on the balts so i thought i would just ask.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:01 AM
I'll take a stab at that.

They didn't change the location or firewall. The number 1 reason is tuning. The LNF is the b!tchiest ECU ever IMO. HPT has sold us a shell, and other vendors kind of have to pick up the slack. We have what we need to max out the stock turbo, but beyond that you'll need more than HPT to do it right.

Beyond that, the LNF guys have limits, perceived or real, on fueling. The perceived limit seems to be about 400hp. There are no aftermarket DI fuel injectors or HPFP systems right now.
Speaking in terms of hardware, the LNF turbo has an integrated bypass valve and an internal wastegare, and the system uses a draw though MAF. When you change any or all of those components, you have to think about tuning and the effect on the system. For example, a VTA BOV with a draw through MAF is generally not a good idea.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 9:05 PM
If that zzp bov doesnt work out you could try this style, The look pretty cool and dont require you to tune the bov to the boost pressure you're running. Yes there are other brands besides obx, but those cost like $400+.
Your text to link here...

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:18 PM
I wont need that, I am going with a blow through MAF set up, my bov will be before my MAF.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 10:06 AM
jmarks82 wrote:I wont need that, I am going with a blow through MAF set up, my bov will be before my MAF.

Thats not a recirculating setup. That center ring slides to the side to open up and vent. It doesnt make a loud bov sound and it can move a @!#$ ton of air. Heres what one looks like in action. The issue with them is that they're open when ever you're in vac so they kind of let you suck in unfiltered air. Thats a trait I forgot about them when I first posted.

this one you can see whats going on better.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, February 07, 2011 4:51 PM
Did a little more work today. Been to busy at work to really spend anytime on it.

I had to make a throttle body spacer in order to mount the throttle body on the saab intake manifold. Didnt turn out too bad, for a guy with a chop saw and drill press!! The black is where I need to port it out so I get a nice transition to the manifold.

And here is the reason why I had to make the spacer, so I could hook up the throttle body.

Also got with Bill and he is going to make me a manifold for a GREAT price. Another thanks to hahn for his help!!

Most updates this weekend. I plan on making my cold side charge pipes, start the hot side, and finish modifiying the intake manifold and get it mounted. If Bill comes through I should have the exhaust manifold and turbo on this weekend as well. Thanks for looking!!

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 4:59 PM
Finished shaving some brackets on the manifold. Started on the cold side pipe. Here is what I have so far.

I am going to try and make it a 1 piece, we will see if I can snake it in there!

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 5:29 PM
There is snow on the floor in there, props to you, won't catch me working on @!#$ out in this!

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:12 PM
The wonderful world of sliding doors on a pole barn, they will never seal. the building does shelter me from the wind. Give me some time and I will have the building fully insulated and heated. I work outside at night so anything above 15*F with out wind is comfortable lol. All I need is some insulated underwear, gloves, jeans, and a hoodie and I am good to go!!

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:46 PM
Props to you! How many miles on your LSJ?

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 7:33 PM
Little over 100k. Needless to say I will be searching for a motor to build! Maybe I will take it down next winter to freshen the motor. We shall see.

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 11:48 PM
Lovin' it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search