1989 Honda Accord LXi - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1989 Honda Accord LXi
Saturday, March 05, 2011 7:08 AM
I just picked up this car for 100 dollars. It is a 1989 Accord Lxi. It of course is not perfect, but I could not pass up a 100 dollar car... I even got to drive it home.

THE GOOD

it runs

AC still works

no rust anywhere

the motor and transmission has only 130,xxx miles on it

THE NOT SO GOOD

power steering pump is shot

drivers side window stuck up

water pump is leaking

valve cover has a leak

it was sitting for two years

needs paint (clearcoat is peeling everywhere on top)

the seat covers are gross, lol

the body has 220,xxx miles (but everybody says that is nothing for a honda)

automatic transmission

I really can't bitch about it. I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions. I will be replacing the water pump, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, oil pump, valve cover gasket, power steering pump, brakes, fluid change, and paint it when I feel like it.(I have a paint gun I have been wanting to play with for the longest time, lol.) I might keep it, or I might sell it when I get it in better shape.

Re: 1989 Honda Accord LXi
Saturday, March 05, 2011 12:04 PM
mad tight JDM yo.

Saturday, March 05, 2011 4:37 PM
yep, now all it needs is a hood scoop and a giant pink racing wing. It would be pimp. lol

Saturday, March 05, 2011 5:33 PM
Nice buy for 100 bucks. Last time I saw an Accord like yours I was pretty young. Here in Canada, cars last 8-9 years tops because of the trillions of salt and abrasives they use on our roads in our 9 month long winters.
Saturday, March 05, 2011 6:27 PM
MyKoup_owns_theZ wrote:Nice buy for 100 bucks. Last time I saw an Accord like yours I was pretty young. Here in Canada, cars last 8-9 years tops because of the trillions of salt and abrasives they use on our roads in our 9 month long winters.

dang. This car has no/little rust on it. The only rust is on the exhaust that I can see anyways.

Saturday, March 05, 2011 6:36 PM
Nice find! Most of the problems you listed aren't too bad for what you paid. From my experience, Honda's automatics are decent transmissions.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Saturday, March 05, 2011 6:44 PM
The transmission shifts smooth. I would of still "preferred" a 5 speed... but again I can't be too picky.

Sunday, March 06, 2011 12:52 PM
Nice pick up! I have an 87 LXi hatch. It has 295,000 miles on it and is all original. Gotta love the older Accords as far as looks, reliability, and simple design. And my only.complaint is that it's an automatic like yours. The window should be an easy fix. Its either a bad controller box, or a bad window motor. If u need the motor let me know. I've got a spare.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Monday, March 07, 2011 9:10 AM
Yeah, the motor still ran perfectly I was told, but he swapped it "just to be safe". I like the hatch look soo much better. The power window switch is broken for the driver window. I was planning on going to the local Pull-a-Part to pickup a switch and a steering wheel. The original one is almost wore down to the metal on the top, lol. That's why it has that steering wheel cover. Got any pictures of your hatch?

Monday, March 07, 2011 11:48 AM
They are good runners for sure...and good on gas.

Great price! Wish I was that lucky...

Monday, March 07, 2011 12:16 PM
Any suggestions are welcome as to what I should do to it, preferably positive suggestions. lol. I might keep it.

Monday, March 07, 2011 3:13 PM
I just here to hate you.

Nice pick up for $100. Hell of a deal.

Monday, March 07, 2011 4:17 PM
freelancer1988 wrote:Any suggestions are welcome as to what I should do to it, preferably positive suggestions. lol. I might keep it.

Lower it, and a set of 16" factory aluminum Accord wheels would amazing. Tint the windows, 5-speed swap, good tune-up, and just drive it.

Monday, March 07, 2011 6:34 PM
I pulled the seat covers off and the seats are like new... except the passenger has a soda spill. I am going to try and clean that out of the seat. I was thinking about lowering it a little. Getting all the money together to fix the water pump and everything else I said I was going to do in the first post. I will be going all black. Remove the pin striping and tint the front and rear lights black as well. I plan on going to Pull-a-Part tomorrow and getting some interior parts and stuff.

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 7:32 AM
Paint the side mouldings black to match, debadge, and maybe a newer style(stock)dual tip muffler.

Friday, March 11, 2011 7:23 PM
I will have to replace the muffler since it looks like a cheese grader. lol. Got a couple of holes. I might go ahead and replace the entire system.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:40 AM
freelancer1988 wrote:Yeah, the motor still ran perfectly I was told, but he swapped it "just to be safe". I like the hatch look soo much better. The power window switch is broken for the driver window. I was planning on going to the local Pull-a-Part to pickup a switch and a steering wheel. The original one is almost wore down to the metal on the top, lol. That's why it has that steering wheel cover. Got any pictures of your hatch?

Saturday, March 12, 2011 7:09 PM
nice accord. Yep, I like the hatches better. lol

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:05 PM
back when i had my 89 lxi sedan i was a part of this forum online, they are very helpful with the accords 3geez
Monday, March 14, 2011 6:27 PM
I have been contemplating on joining 3geez or superhonda, but I am trying my best NOT to learn too much about this platform... or else I will modify the hell out of it. Best if I know as little as possible. My cavalier was practically bone stock til I started learning about HO parts and IRS swaps. I actually will be doing the IRS swap sometime soon. It will not even be a cavalier when I am done with it, lol. I have problems.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:39 AM
Ya, funny thing is the honda a20 thats in that is the unwanted child of honda motors because almost noone makes parts for it and its all custom work for the motor.

Monday, April 04, 2011 9:19 AM
yeah, the a20a3 is not very popular.

I got the timing set and new water pump installed... (last week) I kinda forgot about this thread. My bad. I also found out that the car was not firing right in cylinders 3 and 4. Found out the car had the wrong distributor button and cap. SOOO much more power as well. lol. Replaced the wireset, spark plugs, new grounds, battery, coolant flush, radiator cap, hoses, oil, and oil filter... This thing almost runs like a new car. I just need motor mounts and then I am set... except for paint. I feel kinda sumb for dropping 300 dollars into a 100 dollar car though. lol. I am going to try and get tags today. Hope it passes emissions.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 12:03 AM
So the car failed emissions. Figured since I saw this under the car... I just love finding stuff like this from previous owners...

if you can't duck it the fu*k it. I will be replacing this soon...

and giant hole...

I also have a leak somewhere around the resonator... so I have to put a little more money into it to make it legal here... Sad face.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 12:26 AM
Seriously...for a $100 car, a rusted out exhaust is the least of your worries. I wish I could come across a deal like that!
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 12:29 AM
Mine still has the factory exhaust at 296,000 miles and its in great shape!!! Gotta love california cars!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search