2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 ups the power? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 ups the power?
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:49 PM
To come with ZL1–Slapping 600-Plus Horsepower! If this holds true, GM will have to move up the power rating on not only the ZL1, but the ZR1 as well. Don't you just love competition.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: 2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 ups the power?
Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:30 PM
Wow. Impressive!

Josh
SLK 32

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:49 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:To come with ZL1–Slapping 600-Plus Horsepower! If this holds true, GM will have to move up the power rating on not only the ZL1, but the ZR1 as well. Don't you just love competition.

i wonder what the new 5.5L di vete engine will do for this competition....
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 4:22 AM
i'm glad there is a power war in this segment, but fkn gm needs to answer the 3.5L ecoboost mustang!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:35 AM
oldskool wrote:i'm glad there is a power war in this segment, but fkn gm needs to answer the 3.5L ecoboost mustang!

I would say more need to compete with the Taurus.

Ford wins again, if you can pick one of these up for under 65k or so it's a great deal. Ford just keeps one-upping GM.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:44 AM
I drove the 550hp GT500 and that thing was an animal....it will go sideways on the 1-2 shift with the traction/stability control ON!

The 2013 one will be deadly!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:23 AM
i hope they make a hertz rental version of this one.....

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:32 PM
ZR1 anyday over this crap.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:35 PM
Sick.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:41 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:ZR1 anyday over this crap.

I love Vettes as much as the next guy, don't get me wrong, but you are comparing a $110K to a $60k car. You dump $50k into that mustang and it will make that ZR1 look like a one-armed droopy-eyed child. Not starting a pissing contest or anything just saying, 600+ hp for ~60k (if the article is right) is pretty damn good. If you have ever drivin one of the cobras it is a very capable car.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:21 PM
^Yes. Besides the Mustang is a muscle car that competes with the Camaro and Challenger. Vette is a Sports/Super car that goes after Ferrari, Lambo, Mclaren and Porsche and the lamented Ford GT (sniff-sniff).

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:22 PM
But they still compare the GT500 to GTRs, Vettes, and more of the sort. For 60k or less.... It is rediculous. Ford did it right with the WHOLE new Mustang lineup. The v6, GT, GT500 are all super buys for the money compared to their competition. And I love its styling.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 6:26 PM
Did ford really let the paint department at the car with a bunch of black spray paint cans? Everyone else has stickers/ vinyl/ covering, but not ford, they get to spray paint a normal car body...lol

Everything Louder than Everything else
Thursday, March 17, 2011 8:13 PM
A: The body styling didn't really change much on that car, so they might have just done it as a joke, considering it doesn't obscure your vision of body lines at all anyway.

B: They had WAY more fun than all the jackasses who just slapped some coverings on lol.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Friday, March 18, 2011 5:30 PM
If there is any American Automaker that I have the most respect for, it's Ford...but these horsepower wars need to stop. When the vehicle is already traction limited, more horsepower doesn't make the car "better." I almost wish they would initiate a horsepower limit like they did in Japan in the 90's, so that American's can lose the mindset that horsepower = performance.

I have no signiture
Friday, March 18, 2011 6:45 PM
The 286 HP rule was just an agreement to not rate higher than that amount. That didnt mean that the cars magically stoped making power at that mark.

Saturday, March 19, 2011 4:16 AM
Whalesac wrote:If there is any American Automaker that I have the most respect for, it's Ford...but these horsepower wars need to stop. When the vehicle is already traction limited, more horsepower doesn't make the car "better." I almost wish they would initiate a horsepower limit like they did in Japan in the 90's, so that American's can lose the mindset that horsepower = performance.
At least the "horsepower war" is fairly segregated to limited production cars like this one and the ZR1. I think even without a law or agreement in place, Americans are starting to get it. The V6 models advertise the economy as hard as they do the horsepower, and the ecoboost puts a higher power/moderate mileage option out there.

Saturday, March 19, 2011 7:04 AM
oldskool wrote:
Whalesac wrote:If there is any American Automaker that I have the most respect for, it's Ford...but these horsepower wars need to stop. When the vehicle is already traction limited, more horsepower doesn't make the car "better." I almost wish they would initiate a horsepower limit like they did in Japan in the 90's, so that American's can lose the mindset that horsepower = performance.
At least the "horsepower war" is fairly segregated to limited production cars like this one and the ZR1. I think even without a law or agreement in place, Americans are starting to get it. The V6 models advertise the economy as hard as they do the horsepower, and the ecoboost puts a higher power/moderate mileage option out there.

No, not really. You have Pony cars battling at 400+hp, which trumps the C5 Z06 of less than 10 years ago. In 1 model year, the Ford GT went from 325 bhp to 412 bhp to compete with the Camaro. When one automaker ups the ante, all the others follow suit. It's ridiculous.

I have no signiture
Saturday, March 19, 2011 8:57 AM
^^^ Sorry, I meant the Ford Mustang GT, and was incorrect about the previous horsepower...they went from 315 bhp to 412 bhp.

I have no signiture
Saturday, March 19, 2011 9:49 AM
Right.... The pony cars and the sports cars. They aren't doing it across the board, and as previously mentioned, they advertise andd push the economy on the lwer trim packages heavily. Now don't lecture me on "horsepower doesn't equal performance" I've been racing a while. From drag racing to autocross, and while hp isn't the only thing that makes a car perform, when your spending 50k+ on a pony car or sports car, you want numbers. High hp sells, period.

Saturday, March 19, 2011 10:33 AM
Whalesac wrote:but these horsepower wars need to stop. When the vehicle is already traction limited, more horsepower doesn't make the car "better." I almost wish they would initiate a horsepower limit like they did in Japan in the 90's, so that American's can lose the mindset that horsepower = performance.

STFU you pansy...

Its awesome and makes Jeremy Clarkson go "whooooooa!'

+1 for Ford....

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards

Saturday, March 19, 2011 7:29 PM
independent rear suspension yet?

Saturday, March 19, 2011 10:19 PM
Has been since 2003, dip@!#$.

Monday, March 21, 2011 9:03 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Has been since 2003, dip@!#$.

Um what? only the 03-04 cobras had IRS, every other mustang produced ever has had a live rear axle.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, March 21, 2011 4:47 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Has been since 2003, dip@!#$.

cool story bro.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search