2012 Chevrolet Sonic - Page 4 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:27 PM
Update from GM... .

-Exterior accessories include ground effects, exhaust tip, spoiler, mirror caps, grille surrounds, graphics and 16- or 17-inch painted alloy wheels
-Interior accessories include aluminum sport pedals and sill plates
-On sale by the end of 2011

Chevrolet today introduced the first production Z-Spec accessories for the 2012 Sonic, an all-new small car hitting the streets this fall. The Sonic Z-Spec portfolio which will be showcased at the New York International Auto Show includes Color Out accent packages with contrasting-color exterior parts and graphics that express the cars performance characteristics.

The Sonic combines a youthful, aggressive design with turbocharged performance and agile ride and handling. When equipped with an available, efficient 1.4L turbo, it is expected to achieve an estimated 40 mpg highway.

The new Z-Spec accessories reinforce Sonics fun, youthful spirit, said Rick Scheidt, vice president, Chevrolet marketing. Customization is particularly important with the customers we believe will gravitate toward the Sonic, and we want to help them make their vehicle look exactly the way they want as easily as possible.

The Z-Spec accessories will initially include body-color ground effects (with a silver exhaust tip), contrasting mirror caps and roof spoiler, contrasting upper and lower grille surrounds and a body graphics package, along with 16- and 17-inch painted alloy wheels. The ground effects kit features a front fascia extension, rocker panel extensions, rear fascia extension and silver exhaust tip.

Interior upgrades include aluminum sport pedals and sill plates.

Z-Spec also includes color accent packages in Black Out or White Out. These Color Out packages, displayed on vehicles at the New York Auto Show, feature black accents on a Summit White Sonic and Summit White accents on an Inferno Orange Sonic.

Sonic is a great canvas for customization, and Z-Spec offers a cohesive design with a family of factory-engineered accessories and graphics, said Scheidt.

Z-Spec parts can be purchased individually, to suit customer tastes and budgets, or can be purchased as a complete package. When the parts are purchased with the Sonic and installed by the dealer, customers can roll the cost into their monthly payments.

Additional accessories will be available for the Sonic, ranging from the fashionable to the functional, such as chrome mirror caps and door handles to cargo nets and trunk trays. Additional graphics packages also will be available in the future.

The accessorized Sonics on display in New York share traits with the Z-Spec concept versions of the Cruze, Spark and Volt shown at the 2010 SEMA show. For example, each wore ground effects kits, rear spoilers and Z-Spec-specific grilles, as well as Z-Spec graphics.

Sonic at a glance

The Sonic is offered in two body styles: a four-door sedan and a sporty five-door. Each delivers class-leading rear-seat roominess and cargo space. A variety of connectivity features enhance the driving experience.

Sonic is offered with an efficient Ecotec 1.4L turbo engine rated at an estimated 138 horsepower (103 kW) 18 horsepower (14 kW) more than Ford Fiesta and 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm), between 1,850 rpm and 4,900 rpm. It is expected to deliver 40 mpg on the highway (EPA estimates pending).

A standard Ecotec 1.8L engine is paired with a five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission, delivering an estimated at 135 horsepower (101 kW) and 123 lb.-ft. of torque (167 Nm) at 3,800 rpm.

The Sonic will be built at the Orion Assembly Center in Orion Township, Mich., making it the only subcompact to be built in the United States.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:52 PM
Um?

2007 Corvette Z51 | Suzuki Swift GTi SCCA racer | 2008 Edge
Friday, April 15, 2011 5:25 AM
Quote:

Sonic is offered with an efficient Ecotec 1.4L turbo engine rated at an estimated 138 horsepower (103 kW) 18 horsepower (14 kW) more than Ford Fiesta and 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm), between 1,850 rpm and 4,900 rpm. It is expected to deliver 40 mpg on the highway (EPA estimates pending).

A standard Ecotec 1.8L engine is paired with a five-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission, delivering an estimated at 135 horsepower (101 kW) and 123 lb.-ft. of torque (167 Nm) at 3,800 rpm.

Seriously , I can understand that it has an extra 25lb-ft over the 1.8l but only 3hp more and it's probably a $500-1,000 option. Ford has a1.6L Ecoboost 4cyl in the works for it's Fiesta & Focus that's Est @ 150hp. IMO GM is really dropping the ball here with the 1.4T, look what they did with the 2.0L Turbo Ecotec, 260hp right out of the gate and they can only get a little over 1/2 of that out of a motor that's only .6L smaller.

Friday, April 15, 2011 5:36 AM
door lock buttons on the dash! GTFO!

Friday, April 15, 2011 5:56 AM
Spike J wrote:
Quote:

Seriously , I can understand that it has an extra 25lb-ft over the 1.8l but only 3hp more and it's probably a $500-1,000 option. Ford has a1.6L Ecoboost 4cyl in the works for it's Fiesta & Focus that's Est @ 150hp. IMO GM is really dropping the ball here with the 1.4T, look what they did with the 2.0L Turbo Ecotec, 260hp right out of the gate and they can only get a little over 1/2 of that out of a motor that's only .6L smaller.
These new engines are a totally different platform. But i know what you mean. And that's not to mention that the LNF is very capable of over 300 WHP daily driven with little hardware modification, while getting ~30mpg or more depending how you drive it.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:51 AM
z yaaaa wrote:door lock buttons on the dash! GTFO!

thats where the camaro's have them

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:35 PM
As does the Cruze.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:24 PM
Im waiting on some weight figures on this thing.
Nothing wrong with the buttons on the dash. Hell, I even like the pw button on the center console too. To me it is ergonomically correct, saves weight, save from having more wires on the door. To bad North America doesn't like that configuration.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, April 21, 2011 8:46 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:door lock buttons on the dash! GTFO!

thats where the camaro's have them

And my Equinox...lol
Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:56 PM
Trifecta tuned sonic. They have a 50hp tune for the cruze they should be able to do the same for the sonic

see ya!

Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:35 PM
my fiance has had an aveo for a couple years. i have always thought it would be a fun commuter with just a little bit more power. kudos to gm. i can dig it.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:27 PM
Spotted locally @ Gingerman Raceway this past weekend-

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:29 PM
I have more pics, but it is identical to whats up top minus the whack graphics.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:35 PM
oh i could have so much fun with that little 5-door....oh so much fun

May the odds be ever in you favor.....

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:58 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:I have more pics, but it is identical to whats up top minus the whack graphics.

no motor pics i take it??????

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:35 AM
^^Open the hood on a Cruze, Sonic will be using both engines, the only differnce I could see was the engine was more confined in the Sonic. When I got to drive a pre-production model with 6-speed manual and Turbo (sedan) last month, I came out thinking it is worlds better than the Aveo and very peppy too. Exterior design looked good and interior quality was best in class (for now), even for not being a production version.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:11 AM
No engine pics, I assume it was GM employee whom drove it out to the event and was never was seen around the car.

I too figured it was the Cruze's 1.4l turbo.

Friday, June 17, 2011 8:33 AM
Update from GM....

The suggested retail price of the all-new 2012 Chevrolet Sonic begins at $14,495 including destination but excludes tax, title, license and dealer fees. Sonic comes with the most standard safety equipment in the sub-compact class, including 10 air bags. Air conditioning, power door locks, remote keyless entry and 15" alloy wheels also are standard.

The Sonic, the only sub-compact built in the United States, is expected to deliver 40 mpg highway with class-leading acceleration when paired with the 1.4L Turbo and six-speed manual transmission.

The Sonic is offered in two body styles: a four-door sedan and a five-door hatchback. Each delivers outstanding rear-seat roominess and cargo space.

"Sonic shares the spirit of Chevrolets like the Corvette by delivering athletic and agile performance," said Rick Scheidt, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. "Today's customers have high expectations for small cars. Sonic comes with an unexpected level of standard equipment so that every customer will have comforts and amenities they desire."

The 2012 Sonic will be for retail sale this fall in three models with two body styles:

Sonic LS starting at $14,495 sedan, $15,395 hatchback, including:
-Standard 1.8L Ecotec engine and five-speed manual transmission
-Class-exclusive standard 15-inch alloy wheels
-The most standard safety features in the segment, with 10 air bags, StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover sensing, traction control, anti-lock brakes, collapsible pedal system and power rear-door child safety locks
-Standard OnStar, with a six-month subscription including Turn-by-Turn navigation
-Standard convenience features, including air conditioning, power door locks with remote keyless entry and tilt/telescoping steering wheel

Sonic LT starting at $15,695 sedan, $16,495 hatchback, including:
-Six-speaker premium sound system with CD player, XM Radio with three-month trial subscription
-Power windows with driver's express up/down
-Power, heated side mirrors
-Connectivity package with a USB port, Bluetooth for select phones and music, steering-wheel-mounted audio controls
-Heated front seats
-Cruise control
-Fog lamps
-Standard 17-inch alloy wheels

Major available upgrades on Sonic include:
-Six-speed automatic transmission (with 1.8L engine) - $1,070
-1.4L Turbo with six-speed manual transmission (available on LT and LTZ) - $700

"Sonic is truly a safer small car with three more airbags than the nearest competitor," said Scheidt. "It also offers the safety, security and convenience of OnStar with Turn-by-Turn Navigation on all models."

Base Models

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LS Sedan
2011 Fiesta S Sedan
2011 Honda Fit

MSRP, including destination
$14,495
$13,995
$15,870

Engine
1.8L Ecotec
1.6L I-4
1.5L I-4

Horsepower (hp)

Torque (lb-ft)

Standard transmission
5-speed manual
5-speed manual
5-speed manual

Passenger volume (cu ft)

Trunk volume (cu ft)
Not applicable

Standard air bags

OnStar (six months)
Standard
Not available
Not available

Navigation (OnStar Turn-by-Turn)
Standard
Not available
Not available

Hill Hold
Standard
Optional
Not available

Power rear child safety locks
Standard
Not available
Not available

15h alloy wheels
Standard
Not available
Not available

Production of the Sonic begins this fall at the General Motors Orion Assembly Center in Michigan, which received a $545-million investment in upgrades and retooling, and will help restore approximately 1,000 jobs in the metropolitan Detroit area.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, June 17, 2011 8:46 AM
Quote:

"Sonic shares the spirit of Chevrolets like the Corvette by delivering athletic and agile performance," said Rick Scheidt, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. "Today's customers have high expectations for small cars. Sonic comes with an unexpected level of standard equipment so that every customer will have comforts and amenities they desire."

Did they really?????

Want hub spacers or rear disk brackets? Shoot me a PM.

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:11 AM
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:
Quote:

Did they really?????

I'm Mike Demo and I am calling BS on that line. The only way the Sonic could ever have anything in common with the corvette is driving it off a bridge like in XXX

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:12 AM
Mike Demo wrote:
Club Teh Jeffie wrote:
Quote:

Did they really?????

I'm Mike Demo and I am calling BS on that line. The only way the Sonic could ever have anything in common with the corvette is driving it off a bridge like in XXX

this.....i too call BS on that line

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Friday, June 17, 2011 10:14 AM
TheWhy @!#$ does it have 10 titty @!#$ air bags?

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, June 17, 2011 10:52 AM
what is with gm and the false rear doors? i really hate having a seam where it looks like there should be a door, but no, it's just a panel. most idiotic thing i've ever seen.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, June 17, 2011 4:50 PM
It has 4 doors.

About damn time they start producing them. Its been 6 months since I left the plant that will build them. The line has been built for quite a while.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:45 PM
mitdr774 wrote:It has 4 doors. .

had to look at the pics again... looking at the hatch, the door handles are in a very stupid place in the back.

and i was referencing the HHR panels. two doors with the seams for four. i'd thought they'd done the same thing with the hatch with this one.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search