new car - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new car
Thursday, April 21, 2011 4:36 PM
well sadly im about 90% sure my cavys toatled. sooo that means ill be looking for a new car my budgets around 5000 and i want someting reliable as im a college student and it will be my daily driver just wanted some opinions on what you guys think will be a good buy thanks

Re: new car
Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:24 PM
Cobalt, cavalier, civic, sunfire, Jetta, the list could go on.

Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:41 PM
Really depends on what you want in a car. My short list if it were my money would be:

Older Integra (DC5? The one with the two little round head lights)
8th gen Corolla (98-02)
Mk IV Golf/Jetta
7th Gen Civic

Realistically, those would all be semi-common cars around or under your price range (Okay, Integras aren't THAT common, but a lot of times they go in that price range, and if you can get one, its a decent car). They all have great fuel economy, are reliable, have aftermarket support and common bolt patterns (aftermarket support is nice not only for modding your car, but generally, cars with a decent aftermarket tend to have a lot of available replacement parts as well. Same with bolt patterns. Its easy to replace a bent/damaged wheel if there are a lot of cars with that bolt pattern). This is assuming you don't want another Cavalier/Sunfire.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Friday, April 22, 2011 7:07 AM
i was thinking about the golf/jetta ill know for sure sometime to day if my car is really totaled or not.
Friday, April 22, 2011 7:47 AM
You won't get a new car for 5 grand.

Stay away from the VDubs..unless you are electronically/electronically inclined because they are pretty big pains in the arse. Trust me.

My suggestion? I'd suggest you a Civic or Integra.
Friday, April 22, 2011 8:05 AM
lol i didnt mean new car i ment used car ehh im not big on civics or integras they just seemed to be way overpriced in my area its like 3500 for a 98 civic lx 4 door with like 135000 miles that just seems like a lot of money for that age and miles
Friday, April 22, 2011 9:38 AM
Civics hold their value decently. I would suggest the Jettas and other v dubs but their insurance is not cheap and maintenance isn't as cheap.

Friday, April 22, 2011 9:39 AM
i really like the jettas and actually around my area 99 2000 audi a4s are really nice but it seems like the vws and audis always have somthing wrong with them and that worries me a little bit
Friday, April 22, 2011 9:53 AM
I dunno man. I got flamed for saying VWs aren't as reliable as they once were but I really could care less because from my experiences, and the experiences of people around me, it is true. And once again their regular maintenance is higher and some garages won't deal with some things about them.

BUUUUT... I almost bought a GTI untill I found out insurance was going to be 380 a month and the 1.8t isnt the most reliable. Luckily I didnt because I ended up lucking out with my SS. The point is, they are sexy imo and I like them regardless.

Friday, April 22, 2011 10:02 AM
yea everywhere i look it seems like the 1.8 has problems so id probley be looking at the v6 ones idk im just looking right now and as far as insurance goes im not to worried about that im still on my parents plan so i think that helps a lot but id have to look into that also
Friday, April 22, 2011 10:04 AM
Yeah I would def look into it. I got away with only paying 198 a month for my SS/SC and they wanted me to pay 330. THAT makes a big difference. Hahaha.

Regardless, for 5 grand you will find something nice. If you can just take your time and look for good deals.

Friday, April 22, 2011 10:09 AM
yea im sure ill find something nice im gonna make sure i take my time and find something nice though ive seen too many of my friends buy pieces of junk just because they wanted a car now and didnt take there time to check it out or research it
Friday, April 22, 2011 10:42 AM
I had two VW's in my life and what a waste of time and money they were. I had a Jetta 1.8T and a Golf GTi VR6 and both were unreliable pieces of sh!t. Electrical problems every week,3 head gaskets in 11 months etc...Gave me a good laugh once in while when I turn the right turn signal and the wipers went on full speed. lol

They were nice and performant cars yeah. Reliable,no. Was also tired of paying 100+$ towing fees for 2$ soldering repairs in harnesses.

It's up to you man! I would be puzzled too looking for a nice and reliable car for 5 grand...
Friday, April 22, 2011 10:55 AM
Puzzled? You can def. find a good reliable car for 5k. Just need to take your time and do research like you are doing.

Friday, April 22, 2011 8:21 PM
That civic price is not way out of line even though the age is 13 yrs.But look at the LOW miles that is stupid low.I know when my wife sold her civic it was 9yrs old and I sold it for 5300.00 was a ex loaded,mint cond,and under 100k and was cherry bc I kept it that way!Btw book was 5100-5500 at the time.Keep looking around and don't jump on any quick decision so you get a solid car,and if ur not super mechanical take the car to a good shop if buying from a owner to get it scoped for issues or not if they will alloy it.I am sure u can find something in that budget.And yeah I am civic leaning being the past and now present with my 2011 civic I bought new last month.Good luck on searching out a NEW used ride.

Friday, April 22, 2011 8:47 PM
low miles sorry anything over 100k is not low to me i dont care what car or how relibale it is.
Saturday, April 23, 2011 5:29 AM
Not low and anything can be a lemon or you could just plain have bad luck with.

Saturday, April 23, 2011 11:36 PM
Well not to debate this however 12-15 is average miles by todays standard.15 being high for each yr.So averaging out the said 135,000 over 13yrs is not low?You need to consider this might have been a one owner drives under 10k a yr or so.In fact classic example my now former daily a 1987 mazda trk bought new has 197,000 on it and it is 24 years old!So be open minded bc everyone does not drive alot compared to the so called averages.Like I said take it to a mechanic or shop b4 hand if in ? to check it out.Granted yeah lemons are there but,not so much on certain brands.Good luck on finding what you like,and cost effective.

Sunday, April 24, 2011 8:12 AM
yea i no but idk id be a lot more scared buying a car with like 130000 to 150000 then a car with like less then 100k more miles also means more wear and tare on the car
Sunday, April 24, 2011 9:21 AM
a car over 100k can also be a very good buy if the owner did all the work that normally gets done at that interval. civics have no issues with higher miles, they don't make enough power stock to break anything.

Sunday, April 24, 2011 11:53 AM
ehh i know i just feel like no matter how much care was taking care of the car at around 150000 things just start to get worn out and break. whatever car i buy needs to last me about 4-5 years so if i buy it with high miles i feel like its not gonna last me that long

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:26 PM
You're too picky for help it seems. Buy a beater and roll with it until it breaks. You'd be surprised how tough cars are.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search