2012 Chevrolet Corvette - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2012 Chevrolet Corvette
Friday, April 29, 2011 9:08 AM
Finally more Michelin!

From GM...

Chevrolet announced that it will once again elevate Corvette’s performance capabilities with a series of improvements for the 2012 model year that improve on-track performance and on-road comfort. They include enhancements to the high-performance Z06 and ZR1 models as well as interior upgrades across the Corvette lineup.

Sports car fans will get their first look at the 2012 models – including the racing-inspired appearance of the Chevrolet Centennial Edition – at a special event this weekend at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky. Production begins in July.

“We constantly strive to make the Corvette a better car on the road and the track,” says Tadge Juechter, Corvette vehicle line director and chief engineer. “For 2012, the Corvette lineup achieves its highest performance level ever, while at the same time being easier to drive and enjoy thanks to several changes and new features inside the car.”

New Michelin Cup ZP tires elevate Z06/ZR1 performance

Corvette’s greater performance for 2012 begins with the new, optional Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup Zero Pressure tires, which are available on the two highest-performing models, the lightweight, 505-hp (377 kW) Z06 and the maximum-performance, 638-hp (476 kW) supercharged ZR1. They are competition-oriented tires, optimized for warm, dry conditions to increase cornering and handling capability.

When combined with the Corvette’s exclusive Performance Traction Management (PTM) technology – which manages torque delivery for maximum performance – the tires are expected to help set new benchmarks for Corvette performance. Engineers estimate an 8-percent gain in maximum lateral acceleration, to more than 1.1g, and improved braking distance. Testing at Virginia International Raceway has demonstrated improvement of approximately three seconds per lap.

The Cup ZP tires were developed by the same Michelin engineers who develop tires for Corvette Racing in the American Le Mans Series and are essentially street-legal versions of a racing tire. They are included in the optional Z07 performance package on the Corvette Z06 and a new PDE performance package on the ZR1. The 285/30-19 (front) and 335/25-20 (rear) tires are matched with all-new aluminum Cup-style wheels in satin black or machined finishes. They are about five pounds lighter (2.2 kg) and stronger than the 20-spoke wheel offered in 2011.

Performance Traction Management (offered on the Z06 for the first time in 2012) is an advanced system that optimizes traction for greater and more consistent on-track performance. The system also integrates traction control, active handling and selective ride control systems to enhance race track driving consistency and overall performance. When full throttle is applied upon exiting a corner, it automatically manages acceleration dynamics.

A full-width racing-style spoiler for improved aerodynamics is also included in both the ’12 Z07 and PDE packages. The Z06 model will now offer Magnetic Selective Ride Control, the world’s fastest-reacting suspension technology – an innovation Corvette pioneered several years ago. And as before, Brembo carbon ceramic brakes will be a part of the Z07 chassis package (they are standard on ZR1). Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires remain standard on the ZR1.

A carbon fiber hood will be an available option on 2012 Z06 models, while the standard manual transmission for ZR1 will include taller gearing in fifth and sixth gears, for a 2-mpg improvement in highway fuel economy.

Interior and feature changes

All 2012 Corvette models will include a new seat design and a new steering wheel. The seats feature larger bolsters on the seat back and cushion areas, which provide better driver support, especially in high-performance driving while remaining comfortable for daily street driving. Microfiber suede seat inserts are optional and improve tactile feel, as well as add additional support.

The new seats are complemented by the revised steering wheel, featuring model-specific badges, streamlined switch trim and wrapped spokes. Padded center console and armrests for all models are now included for 2012. An additional visual touch inside the car is contrasting color stitching – in red, blue and yellow – which is available with the custom leather-wrapped interior.

Also coming in 2012 is a new Bose uplevel audio system, which includes nine speakers (compared to seven in 2011) for improved audio quality that is more precisely tuned to the cabin’s acoustics. New tweeters located in the instrument panel and improved Bose Nd next-generation bass performance is the main benefit that Corvette drivers will hear.

A new Technology Package (2LT trim level) brings together many of the Corvette’s popular infotainment features and makes them available for more models. The package’s equipment includes the navigation radio, head-up display, Bose premium audio system, Bluetooth wireless phone connectivity and a USB port.

Wrapping up the new features for 2012 is the availability for customers to select brake caliper colors, for more personalization of their Corvette. The calipers are offered in the red, yellow, silver or gray.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: 2012 Chevrolet Corvette
Friday, April 29, 2011 11:13 AM
well lets see the current Z06 gets what 31 highway, so they are going to have a RWD 500hp car getting 33 highway with no active fuel management and no hybrids

America @!#$ YEA

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, April 29, 2011 11:50 AM
Damn this Corvette will be have the same fuel efficiency than my girlfriends Nissan Versa but with an extra 400 hp..lol
Saturday, April 30, 2011 10:29 AM
2011 Corvette EPA's rating with manual.
C6- 16cty/26hwy
Z06- 15cty/24hwy
ZR1- 14cty/20hwy

So tack on 2 more hwy MPGs for the ZR1 in 2012. I wonder if it will have the new gear ratios of the standard C6 now. If so, I can also see a higher top-speed (in 5th) too.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Saturday, April 30, 2011 2:45 PM
hrmm i thought it was higher, either way wildly impressive theres cars several times the cost that cant match the performance or anywhere close on fuel econ

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, May 08, 2011 9:50 PM
America's supercar...still alive and well.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:23 PM
Still an amazing car that keeps improving. Foreign critics can suck a big one.

Monday, May 09, 2011 12:54 AM
chances are if you own that car you arent worried about your MPG ha
Monday, May 09, 2011 4:16 AM
This is all great, but i want info on a possible upcoming direct injected C7 powerplant that actually gets 30s highway

Monday, May 09, 2011 12:40 PM
oldskool wrote:This is all great, but i want info on a possible upcoming direct injected C7 powerplant that actually gets 30s highway

i have heard about this....very curious myself

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, June 09, 2011 10:31 PM
And the Michelins delivers!!
From GM.

New 2012 models eclipse previous-best lap times at Germany’s famed testing ground

Corvette returned to the world’s most-demanding testing ground – Germany’s famed Nurburgring – and recorded lap times that rank among the fastest recorded for a production car.

As detailed on video, the 2012 Corvette ZR1 recorded a lap time of 7:19.63, more than six seconds faster than the previous Corvette-best recorded in 2008. A lap video featuring the Corvette Z06 will be released soon.

”Testing at the Nurburgring is one of the important methods we have to validate our car in the toughest track conditions.” says Tadge Juechter, Corvette vehicle line director and chief engineer.

Measuring 12.9 miles (20.8 km) and including some 154 turns, the Nurburgring’s Nordschleife (“north loop”) is widely considered the world’s most-demanding course. As was the case at Corvette’s last test in 2008, the car was driven by Corvette engineer Jim Mero and was a full production model with no performance modifications. This test was to validate the car’s added performance technology coming to production later this summer for the 2012 model year.

Corvette’s improved performance for 2012 begins with the new, optional Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup Zero Pressure tires, which are available on the two highest-performing models, the lightweight, 505-hp (377 kW) Z06 and the maximum-performance, 638-hp (476 kW) supercharged ZR1. They are competition-oriented tires, optimized for warm, dry conditions to increase cornering and handling capability.

When combined with the Corvette’s exclusive Performance Traction Management (PTM) technology – which manages torque delivery for maximum performance – the tires set new benchmarks for Corvette performance. Engineers estimate an 8-percent gain in maximum lateral acceleration, to more than 1.1g, and improved braking distance.

Take note on the progressive control.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:10 AM
^^^I would have thought that a official record setting time for a production car would have had gotten more attention here.

BTW, if anyone cares. Corvette faught a tough battle and won at 24hrs of Le Mans over the weekend. Congratulations GM!
Ranked overal.
11. LMGTE Pro, No. 73, Corvette Racing, Corvette C6.R, 314 laps.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, June 16, 2011 9:58 AM
And the pricing.

2012 Corvette Coupe$49,525
1LT Base Equipment Group $0
2LT Equipment Group $2,095
3LT Preferred Equipment Group $5,995
4LT Premium Equipment Group$9,495

2012 Corvette Convertible $54,525
3LT Preferred Equipment Group $7,995
4LT Premium Equipment Group $11,495

2012 Corvette Grand Sport Coupe $55,925
2LT Equipment Group$2,095
3LT Preferred Equipment Group $5,995
4LT Premium Equipment Group $9,495

2012 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible $59,525
3LT Preferred Equipment Group $7,995
4LT Premium Equipment Group $11,495

2012 Corvette Z06 $75,525
1LZ Base Equipment Group $0
2LZ Preferred Equipment Group $4,310
3LZ Premium Equipment Group $8,815

2012 Corvette ZR1 $111,525
1ZR Base Equipment Group $0
3ZR Premium Equipment Group $10,000

OPTIONS
Carbon Fiber Hood for Z06 $2,495
Black Grand Sport Fender Badges $100
Roof Package – Includes Painted and Glass Tops $1,400
Glass Roof instead of Painted Roof $750
Z06 Carbon Fiber Package $3,995
Color Combination Override $590
Battery Protection Package $100
Magnetic Selective Ride Control – Grand Sports $1,695
Magnetic Selective Ride Control – Coupe/Conv $1,995
Magnetic Selective Ride Control – Z06 $2,495
Cyber Gray Metallic Headlamp Override $590
Blade Silver Metallic Headlamp Override $590
Black Headlamp Override $590
Cross Drilled Brake Rotors $500
Silver Brake Calipers $595
Dark Gray Brake Calipers $595
Yellow Brake Calipers $595
Red Brake Calipers $595
6-Speed Manual Transmission $0
6-Speed Paddle Shift Automatic Transmission $1,250
Dual Mode Exhaust $1,195
Corvette Engine Build Experience $5,800
ZR1 Performance Package $1,495
Customer Selectable VIN $5,000
Museum Delivery $490
Gas Guzzler Tax (ZR1) $1000
Navigation 6.5” Screen $1,795
6 Disc CD Changer $395
Front License Plate Bracket $15
Z07- Z06 Ultimate Performance Package $7,500
Grand Sport Heritage Package $1,195
Chevrolet Centennial Special Edition $4,950
Two-Tone Seating $695
Custom Leather Stitching – Yellow $395
Custom Leather Stitching – Blue $395
Custom Leather Stitching – Red $395
Cross Flag Embroidery on Headrests $300
Inferno Orange Metiallic $300
Velocity Yellow Premium Tintcoat $850
Crystal Red Premium Tintcoat $850

Wheels:
Competition Gray Aluminum – Grand Sport $395
Chrome Aluminum – Grand Sport $1,995
Z06 Competition Gray $395
Machine Faced Cup Style – Z06 $995
ZR1 Chrome Aluminum $2,000
ZR1 Competition Gray Aluminum $395
Z06 Chrome Aluminum $1,995
Competition Gray Aluminum – Coupe/Conv $395
Chrome Aluminum – Coupe/Conv $1,850
Machine Faced Aluminum – Coupe/Conv $895

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:12 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:^^^I would have thought that a official record setting time for a production car would have had gotten more attention here.

Unless you give it more horsepower or a faster 1/4 mile, most North Americans won't take notice or will shrug it off. Despite the leaf-spring argument, I think it's great that they are still making strides with the Vette to make it a better track car.

I have no signiture
Sunday, June 19, 2011 9:55 AM
I like the prices. They say the ZR1 is $111K. I've never seen one at my work for under $135K. The Z06 is $75K. Same thing. At my work, I've never seen on for less then $82K. I'm assuming the prices they list here are before taxes, delivery, demand, etc.
Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:49 AM
Whalesac wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:^^^I would have thought that a official record setting time for a production car would have had gotten more attention here.

Unless you give it more horsepower or a faster 1/4 mile, most North Americans won't take notice or will shrug it off. Despite the leaf-spring argument, I think it's great that they are still making strides with the Vette to make it a better track car.

Sad isn't it.

Exodus 259 wrote:I like the prices. They say the ZR1 is $111K. I've never seen one at my work for under $135K. The Z06 is $75K. Same thing. At my work, I've never seen on for less then $82K. I'm assuming the prices they list here are before taxes, delivery, demand, etc.

These are MSRP prices posted on the windshield when they leave from Kentucky. Your dealer is just marking them up for varying reasons. Remember MSRP is... Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price, the dealer can do as they please as long as they can find a sucker or desperate customer.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:43 AM
I just googled the "Museum Delivery" option, because it caught my eye, and I must say that is pretty cool.

Friday, June 24, 2011 8:44 AM
Z06 managed to pull off an incredible 7:22.68 around the Nürburgring — a 20-second improvement over the last time a Z06 looped ’round the ‘Ring. 2012 Corvette Z06 was completely stock, as it would be delivered to a customer. The Z06 packs a 7.0-liter 505-hp LS7 V-8 and it’s the lightest Corvette that Chevrolet currently makes. The last time a Z06 made its way around the Nürburgring driven by Corvette engineers in 2005, it managed to pull off a lap time of 7:42.This Z06 Corvette was equipped with the Z07 package which includes all the best bits from the ZR1, including Brembo carbon ceramic brakes, Chevrolet’s Performance Tracking Management, Magnetic Selective Ride Control and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Zero Pressure tires; the same super-sticky street-legal tires that the ZR1 was equipped with on its record car.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, June 24, 2011 1:30 PM
Corvette is now #2 and #4 on the fastest production car lap times for the 'Ring.......AWESOME!

And thats with the 911 GT2 RS lap time being in #1 that Porsche claims they did, although I don't think they have any proof that it happened, so you just have to take their word for it.

Viper ACR is in #3 for those who are wondering.

Great job GM!!

Saturday, June 25, 2011 8:49 AM
^^Until VW mans up and verifies their Porsche, ZR1 is the fastest production car in the world. Not saying Porsche can't do it, proof only cements the rumors.
Z06 is mighty impressive as well too.
Considering that the Corvette hasn't had a REAL thorough chassis update since 1997, means that tuning works wonders when the company invests a little time and money on their aging products. Wish they did on their Js lol.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Saturday, June 25, 2011 10:42 AM
It really doesn't surprise me about the ZR1 being fastest. I've driven them at work. They are street legal rockets on the road. That's a car that will just simply kill you if you look at it the wrong way while driving.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search