Another "I want a new car" thread - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Another "I want a new car" thread
Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:11 PM
Here it goes...

I've had my 2001 Cavalier for 9-1/2 years now, and it's been a great car all told, but I'm ready for something new. Coincidentally, my girlfriend has a 94 Grand Prix that is pretty much on its last legs, so I'm thinking of giving her my Cavy and getting something else. I have a few ideas of what I want, but I'd like to hear if anyone has had experience with any of these vehicles. Keep in mind, I'm looking at around a $15,000 price range, preferably all-wheel-drive, and with more utility than a 2-door Cavy has. I also have links to specific cars that I found.

1. Mazda CX-7. 240 horsepower, generous passenger and cargo space, sports-car-like handling, and very sleek looking. The interiors are comfortable and look awesome. Only problem is, they are a tad on the expensive side, though insurance is the least of all vehicles I'm looking at.

2. Mk4 Volkswagen GTI 1.8t. Yes, I know VW's are supposedly junk, but I still really like these cars. Easily tunable engine, upscale interior, well within my price range, and I have seen quite a few with low mileage and in good shape. But, no AWD (and no, I'm not spending $20,000 on an R32)

3. Nissan Rogue. Similar to the CX-7, but with less horsepower. Also less expensive and better gas mileage.

4. Chevy HHR SS. Only the SS model though, I don't like the standard HHR's.

5. Infiniti FX35. Looks cool, has a VQ35 which sounds like sex, and insurance is fairly cheap. Very expensive, even for older models.

Let me know what you all think, and if I forgot anything similar, tell my ass.

Thanks, Ian

Re: Another "I want a new car" thread
Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:31 PM
No ls1 cars? Good gas mileage and fast. Hell you can cam it and get better mileage and be faster..

1999 - Cavalier - 5speed - Exhaust - 17" rims - carbon fiber hood - the beater
Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:04 PM
Well the hhr and cx7 and espec the rogue are um ugly in my book.Cookie mobiles.As for awd idk about that .The newest subs are pretty pricey and no where close to the 15k price range.I just bought a new 11 civic sedan and love the shia! out of it.Roomy,great mpg,and upgraded interior with the LX S model for a touch over 21.Mazdas are expensive to maintain,the vw's I know nothing about and dependability is so so.For what price u said that will not get u a NEW car unless it is a kia or suzuki or hundyai(that is not right).If your considering a new used yr or so old ur price range maybe be more practicle.Tired I am and making some suggestions for ya.Good luck with your pursuit.Make sure you go with some gap insurance to cover ur azz I did in the long run.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:19 PM
I have found these to be amazing quality vehicles. I'm not sure what specific year range you are looking in, so I am just throwing this out there for an idea.

Lexus RX330

Chevy Equinox LS AWD

And just for fun

Saab 9-2X Aero

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, April 27, 2011 10:41 PM
Thursday, April 28, 2011 4:40 AM
Personally,I'd go with the CX-7. My brother in law just bought one and I get to drive it occasionnally and I'm very impressed. The ride is awesome it handles like a sports car and I'm serious. The quality of the materials are great, comfort is perfect.

The only downside we found about his CX-7 was the nasty fuel consumption and the paint looks very thin.

We had a 30 inch+ snowstorm in march and this thing was unstoppable! lol
Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:16 AM
I test drove a CX7 and fell in love. Great ride, decent comfort, fast for a SUV, and I personally like how they look. There is a guy locally that has one running low 13s. The best part is the BOV he put on it. HAHAHAHAHA.

That Saab just posted is sexy as hell too. Mmm.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 7:45 AM
Is go with the Infiniti FX35. I love the way they look and they sound amaaaazzzzing. Plus you get the luxury interior (leather, etc), quality, and those things fly. Just my 2cents

Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:19 AM
The problem with the FX35 is that if your rich you can buy it brand new.

If your budget is lower you'll buy an FX35 with higher mileage and you'll need deep as hell pocket to follow maintenance costs. The repair costs are crazy too.
Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:55 AM
You can buy a clean,low miles wrx for 15....
Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:39 AM
This is all I'm working for...

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:05 PM
^ I'd never own it but I absolutely love and respect it!

Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:41 PM
It's going to be a royal pain in the ass to work on, haha... but 300hp stock and 450 after charge pipes and a tune will be fun...

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:45 PM
Transporter7220 wrote:This is all I'm working for...

do want. or a 90s skyline

Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:00 PM
R32 Skyline GTR<333333

Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:10 PM
GTmatters wrote:R32 Skyline GTR

the one i posted is for sale in a nearby city for 13500. 80000km really clean
Thursday, April 28, 2011 10:51 PM
pfft...bitches aint got nothin

Friday, April 29, 2011 9:54 AM
we got a 2009 cx7 with 24k (at the time) for a little more than 15. We love it!! No crazy amounts of aftermarket support yet, but you have some options if looking to mod. Its basically the same engine in a speedsix, only more torque. I wish it were awd and have fog, but i can take car of the fogs part!!!

i will say this.... in order to change the headlight bulbs, you have to remove the front bumper!!! complete pain in the ass compared to j's but not that difficult really, that was the first time i ever removed a front bumper and had no problems. still pissed me off tho!! hahahhaa
now from what ive read on the cx forums, the 2007's have a few more issues than new models (obviously, but something to be aware of) i'd look around on some forums if you're looking for more detailed/specific information

best of luck with your purchase!!

Sunday, May 01, 2011 8:41 AM
Well, I think I decided that I want a lower monthly payment, so I called about the gray 05 GTI and hopefully the guy calls me back and tells me it's still available. I was reading about maintenance intervals, common problems, easy stuff to do to make it better, etc. It sounds like the later Mk4 models are fairly problem free, so I'm not worried about reliability, really. Plus, that car in particular already has everything done that I would do - APR chip (with 4 different tunes), new diverter valve, an bigger fuel pressure regulator, aftermarket coils, new wastegate regulator, and even a full 3" exhaust (which I will more than likely replace with the original).

Thanks for all of the info, guys. I really do like the CX-7's a lot, but if I get an SUV/crossover, it's gonna be a Nissan Juke. I freaking love those things, but I got a few years until there are used ones around, so until then I'm gonna look for a good filler car, and something like a GTI is perfect for that.

Monday, May 02, 2011 5:35 AM
Out of your choices, FX35

My choice, Legacy GT. That is all.

Re: Another
Thursday, May 12, 2011 10:11 PM
Well, in case anyone gives a poop -

I bought a CX-7. It is complete and total baller status. I will have pictures and info up tomorrow.

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:07 AM
ebrown0104 wrote:Well, I think I decided that I want a lower monthly payment, so I called about the gray 05 GTI and hopefully the guy calls me back and tells me it's still available. I was reading about maintenance intervals, common problems, easy stuff to do to make it better, etc. It sounds like the later Mk4 models are fairly problem free, so I'm not worried about reliability, really. Plus, that car in particular already has everything done that I would do - APR chip (with 4 different tunes), new diverter valve, an bigger fuel pressure regulator, aftermarket coils, new wastegate regulator, and even a full 3" exhaust (which I will more than likely replace with the original).

Thanks for all of the info, guys. I really do like the CX-7's a lot, but if I get an SUV/crossover, it's gonna be a Nissan Juke. I freaking love those things, but I got a few years until there are used ones around, so until then I'm gonna look for a good filler car, and something like a GTI is perfect for that.

i think we are the minority about the whole juke thing. i love them but everyone else seems to hate them. everytime i get a chance to drive one at work i dont pass it up. maybe ill just have to take a spin in one today

Friday, May 13, 2011 2:30 PM
ebrown0104 wrote:Well, I think I decided that I want a lower monthly payment, so I called about the gray 05 GTI and hopefully the guy calls me back and tells me it's still available. I was reading about maintenance intervals, common problems, easy stuff to do to make it better, etc. It sounds like the later Mk4 models are fairly problem free, so I'm not worried about reliability, really. Plus, that car in particular already has everything done that I would do - APR chip (with 4 different tunes), new diverter valve, an bigger fuel pressure regulator, aftermarket coils, new wastegate regulator, and even a full 3" exhaust (which I will more than likely replace with the original).

There's no problems on the early mk4's that wasn't on the late mk4's they dost change any of the problem items, they just road it out till the mk5 redesign.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search