New Vette to be turbocharged? - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: New Vette to be turbocharged?
Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:07 PM
because vettes have always been big old v8s even when supercharged.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:29 PM
TheSundownFire wrote:Moving forward > heritage.

Exactly.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:09 PM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:because vettes have always been big old v8s.

No... no they have not.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Friday, May 27, 2011 3:53 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:You guys realize that the talk is a lower displacement, higher revving, turbocharged motor....THAT IS STILL A V8 AND WILL ONLY BE AN OPTION, if this pipe dream ever even actually comes to reality. I can't believe people are arguing that redneck "well it's gotta have a big fat V8" crap when the motor in question is still a V8, but with a turbo, higher revs, and lighter weight.

People will complain when it becomes an EV, too...even if it makes more power than the LS3...but like so many other things, they'll grow to accept it.

I have no signiture
Friday, May 27, 2011 3:59 AM
Whalesac wrote:It was also heritage that the corvette had a carburetor, distributer and got less than 15 mpg...so why do you accept those changes? I think most of you are complaining for the sake of complaining. Leave heritage where it belongs...in the past.

I will say one thing about all of this: if it is the case that Chevy does go to such a small engine (which I highly doubt anytime soon), they had better rethink the Corvette's cornering abilities, or else Porsche is going to rape them.
Best quote in this thread.

But if we are harping on heritage, lets see a c7 vette with an inline six...DOHC T/T

Friday, May 27, 2011 3:11 PM
GM and high reving dont go in my opinion

FU Tuning

Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:21 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:GM and high reving dont go in my opinion

Ok. And give one, logical, smart reason why not.

Saturday, May 28, 2011 8:00 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:GM and high reving dont go in my opinion

Ok. And give one, logical, smart reason why not.

When has Gm been known for high reving motors?

FU Tuning

Sunday, May 29, 2011 8:33 AM
whos says a high displacement motor cant rev high?

Sunday, May 29, 2011 8:47 AM
I cant believe people are arguing over a topic that clearly wont happen because its from a less than credible source...

Do you read the national enquirer too vince?

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Sunday, May 29, 2011 9:24 AM
z yaaaa wrote:whos says a high displacement motor cant rev high?

Get a big fat built 350 or whatever to rev to 13K and like it day in and day out.

Sunday, May 29, 2011 3:32 PM
why does "high" have to be in the range of a crotch rocket? 8000 rpm is plenty high enough goal for a V8.

Sunday, May 29, 2011 10:18 PM
It doesn't HAVE to... but that's where the low displacement V8's are at. That's what was in question and being talked about.... It's whats relevant to the conversation Brad. That's why.

Monday, May 30, 2011 7:23 AM
All the talk of the I6 vette's. Remember those didnt sell at all, vettes were never popular until the V8 got thrown in.

Also why does it have to be small displacement to rev high? There's plenty of vettes being street driven with a 10k redline and an LS7. Hell the LS7 was originally designed to rev that high from the factory and use the 32 valve head while still being cam in block but they never got the head good enough to be a production piece.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, May 30, 2011 7:45 AM
Without exotic materials, 32 pushrods is quit a bit of valvetrain loss.... especially at those RPMs.

I have no signiture
Monday, May 30, 2011 8:02 AM
Whalesac wrote:Without exotic materials, 32 pushrods is quit a bit of valvetrain loss.... especially at those RPMs.

32 valve head only used 16 pushrods.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, May 30, 2011 8:04 AM
My bad

I have no signiture
Monday, May 30, 2011 10:01 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:It doesn't HAVE to... but that's where the low displacement V8's are at. That's what was in question and being talked about.... It's whats relevant to the conversation Brad. That's why.

13,000 rpm is a bit much of a high expectation dont you think? for any motor let alone a V8.

basically what im trying to get at is it doesnt need to rev that high, it could do 10k or hell, even 9k and be fine to make the power needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, May 30, 2011 10:02 AM

Monday, May 30, 2011 9:10 PM
13 was a bit of an exaggeration, but I am just blown away that people are seriously bitching and crying about the idea of a concept that exotics have been doing great with for MANY years. Small displacement V8's with very high and very quick revs... I just don't see why everyone thinks the Vette NEEDS a giant ass motor to get big numbers. But I guess it's that narrow minded redneck American mindset we have with our sports cars.

Monday, May 30, 2011 9:44 PM
lol i dont see why they need to change it anyway... 500+whp is plenty for a street car.

Monday, May 30, 2011 10:08 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:13 was a bit of an exaggeration, but I am just blown away that people are seriously bitching and crying about the idea of a concept that exotics have been doing great with for MANY years. Small displacement V8's with very high and very quick revs... I just don't see why everyone thinks the Vette NEEDS a giant ass motor to get big numbers. But I guess it's that narrow minded redneck American mindset we have with our sports cars.

definitely agree!

I dont understand why people say "theres no replacement for displacement", when there are turbo 4 and 6 cyl that are beating the dog @!#$ out of the "big burly v8"

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:28 AM
i doubt this will happen but my thoughts is why not make a ZR1 turbo instead of supercharged

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:57 AM
Revving around 10,000 rpms. Yea not going to lie my cav would be gone and this would be in the garage. That would be a blast to drive.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 11:07 AM
Let's just hope if it comes to fruition, that they properly size the turbocharger for decent low end torque. This is all hypothetical, but I would imagien a 3.0L V8 that makes power to 8-10k rpm will not have much down low, espcially if you imagine it naturally aspirated and consdier the weight it has to move. Hell it's only 1.5L per bank, its like a honda V8 lol. It may be a moot point, but one of the things I love about LSx engines, and many gm engines in genearl, is that you can get around very capably staying under 2k rpm. I know that's not the point of a corvette, but i don't see chugging around at 2k rpm in a car of the vette's weight with a high revving 3.0 V8. But like i said, all speculation, who knows if they will make it, and who knows how high it will rev.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:27 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:13 was a bit of an exaggeration, but I am just blown away that people are seriously bitching and crying about the idea of a concept that exotics have been doing great with for MANY years. Small displacement V8's with very high and very quick revs... I just don't see why everyone thinks the Vette NEEDS a giant ass motor to get big numbers. But I guess it's that narrow minded redneck American mindset we have with our sports cars.

Because its bull@!#$ that every company (Not just auto companies either) feels the sudden need to do everything under the sun well... It the walmart complex and what ends up happening is that they are good at nothing....Its the same concept that causes me to no longer shop at a local home improvement store named menards... why does a home improvement store need to stock groceries? Thats @!#$ bull@!#$ and I dont need to walk down aisles of consumerism for something that I never came to the store in the first place for.

Jeremy Clarkson would sum it up best, when it comes to outright speed and brutality, albeit while conserving the outright boyish FUN that it is to drive a car, the Americans are one of the best at it, and the Vette is no exception, is it the best? Probably not, but is it fun to drive with a "big burly V8"? Hell yea, and that is what America is known for, killer muscle cars... We are not known for exotics because thats not our heritage, don't like it? Tough, real tough to change history. Every other country "gets" this concept of being good at one thing and they pour their heart and soul into it... Italy and Ferrari for example, or Germany and Mercedes. Its Americans who for whatever reason don't understand that by alienating and not embracing our rich heritage we will become enemies on both sides and be good for nothing.

Quite frankly, we are comparing Apples to oranges and you want an American icon to be more like something it isn't, which is an exotic super car such as the likes of a Ferrari or Lamborghini. Sorry to say folks, but its not going to happen, high revving turbo v8 or not, A Vette is still a Vette so why don't we insist that they keep doing what they are freaking good at and be satisfied rather than ending up venturing into new territory and no longer being good at being anything (Big burly supercar OR light exotic)

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search