Need fresh ideas on warm start issue on suzuki - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need fresh ideas on warm start issue on suzuki
Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:10 PM
Hey guys need some fresh ideas on this one....

My wife drives a 2003 Suzuki Aerio SX (AWD).... the car has been really good to us so far... but it has developed a very odd issue.

When the car is warm (after a 15-30 min drive) if the car sits for 5-10 minutes then you go to restart it the engine cranks and starts but suddenly bogs down and quits.

This ONLY happens once the engine is warm. It cold starts fine and once you get it warm started it runs nice and smooth EXACTLY how it should behave. MPG is what we expect for a AWD vehicle of its age and nothing else is amiss. The car does not show a check engine light and no codes are stored on the ECU.

The following are things we have done to try and remedy the situation.

1. New Plugs
2. New PCV Valve
3. New Air Filter
4. Seafoam Engine treatment
5. Full oil change
6. Pulled all sensors (MAF etc) and cleaned them (using proper approved cleaners)

I have no idea what else to check right now... other then this issue the car runs 100% fine.

Re: Need fresh ideas on warm start issue on suzuki
Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:11 PM
is there a puff of smoke when it does start? if so it might be dumping to much fuel on warm start up. a couple things i can think of are injector leaking. the other is that the ecm is reading that the engine is cooler than what it is and calling for more fuel to start up. that could be caused by a bad coolant temp sensor or ecm problem that is what i would shoot for.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:22 PM
There is a puff of smoke when it finally does start yes..

hmmm wil look into the coolant temp sensor thats something I haven't checked yet.
Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:58 PM
My Suzuki Sidekick did something like this and it turned out i needed to clean out the throttle body. The valve was sticking. some steel wool and gumout fixed my problem.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:31 PM
Jookycola wrote:My Suzuki Sidekick did something like this and it turned out i needed to clean out the throttle body. The valve was sticking. some steel wool and gumout fixed my problem.

The throttle body has been cleaned... physically and chemically.

I actually think it is the coolant temp sensor... did some more searching and I've found out that they are a problem spot...
Friday, May 27, 2011 8:03 AM
did you check the fuel pressure before the hot start. make sure it has some pressure so it doesn't form a vapor bubble in the line which will cause a hard start condition
Friday, May 27, 2011 8:04 AM
also if you need any spec or diagrams for anything let me know i have access to Mitchell and all data at school so i can find any test procedures or specs you might need
Saturday, May 28, 2011 9:53 AM
fuel system is A-OK took it to the dealer to get it scanned... pressures are all good.

they also ran a diagnostic of the coolant temps... the ECU knew that the coolant was at normal operating temp but the sensor would go faulty and automatically read -37 upon re-start this caused the PCM to send extra fuel into the carb and flood it.

So I managed to pick up the only in-stock temp sensor in western canada and its fine now
Saturday, May 28, 2011 1:41 PM
Sweet. Glad my guess worked and glad I could help out.

Saturday, May 28, 2011 3:02 PM
HUGE HUGE thanks to you MRThompson... would have never thought it could be the coolant temperature sensor!! J-body.org helps out again! funny thing is the suzuki forums weren't helping at all haha
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search