Darkstars MKVI GTI thread - info, updates, and photoshoots - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Darkstars MKVI GTI thread - info, updates, and photoshoots
Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:25 PM
So I decided to make a thread about the car. This will be the only thread I make, I'll update this one with mods, info, photoshoots, ect.. it'll all be compiled right here.

A week ago today I bought a brand spankin' new 2011 Shadow Blue 4 Door GTI, DSG (direct shift gearbox) transmission with paddle shifter, bi-xenon lights with AFS (as you turn a corner the HID's pivot sideways to light up around the corner), touchscreen navigation, sunroof, one touch open and close on every window and the sunroof, bluetooth that works for phone calls, music played through my cell phone, any audio on my phone goes through the car, multi function cluster display, steering wheel controls, heated power seats, heated outside mirrors, heated washer fluid nozzles, iPod hook up inside the center consul, interior is all black even the headliner with the plaid inserts on the seats, 18" "Detroit" wheels that are black with machined aluminum face, sport suspension, ect ect ect.

I took these on my iphone the morning after taking it home.

Later that day when I got to work I gave it a Stage 1 APR tune, it's been independently dyno proven to show gains of 45whp and 65wtq over stock.... 300 ft/lbs FTW!

First thing was cosmetic/personal. GO BEARS!

Right away I started ordering some parts and they have started coming in. But first up was some free mods, with some simple long coding changes I disabled seat belt warning light (I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt but passenger seat is weight sensing, if your hauling stuff and it thinks there someone in the seat it'll get mad and starting dinging and flashing at you), disabled DRL's, enabled foglights to stay on when the high beams come on, press and hold unlock button on remote and windows open, press and hold lock button on the remote and windows close, and activated fog lights as cornering lights (they go active only once the headlights are turned on but basically I turn left not only will the HID's pivot left (AFS) but now the foglight on the left will come on for a few seconds and then fade out, if I turn right just the right side does it, if I use the turn signal after the second flash of the turn signal the fog light for that side will turn on untill the turn signal goes off then the lights fades off.

Today I got rid of the super restrictive factory air box, and the factory intake piping.

I replaced it with a BSH Race intake. It's all 1 piece from filter to turbo and includes a ram air cold air box. (If your wondering the capped off nub is for a diverter valve relocation I'm not using)

An issue that needed to be addressed as fast as possible was a way to transport bikes. I refuse to do roof racks again after seeing the big hit in gas mileage the last car took from having them so today I installed a Draw Tite Hidden Hitch and a nice new Thule 917XTR hitch mount. You don't see much of the receiver of all, it fit snugly right below the lower lip of the bumper and doesn't stick out. It's easy to take the rack on and off when needed which means no hit in gas mileage when it's not in use.

I didn't take before or after pics but I removed the chrome GTI emblems from the rear hatch. I'm waiting for a few more parts to show up, an AWE tuning turbo outlet pipe and a Neuspeed intercooler to throttle body pipe, and some Hoen foglight bulbs that are brighter than stock and color matched to the OEM HID's.

Future plans include S3 intercooler, downpipe, APR stage 2 tune, pendulum motor mount, window tint, smoked front side markers, and VW Driver Gear lowering spring (OEM accessory made by Eibach, very small drop and ride like stock). At that point I'll decide weather or not to upgrade to an APR KO4 turbo, factory K03 maxes out a little shy of 300whp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:26 PM

Re: Darkstars MKVI GTI thread - info, updates, and photoshoots
Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:45 PM
I like the MKVI GTI's they're a very nice and aggressive looking car. I also like the thought of the DSG and need to actually drive one. Very nice keep us updated on the updates of this car!

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:04 PM
glad to see you are getting back into the performance game. is it me or does the front end look like an new impala? might be the pic.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:07 PM
def like what the new gtis look like

Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:07 PM
love it.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:19 PM
Coming along nicely

Friday, May 27, 2011 1:55 AM
I love it!!! Amazing car I just feel like changing the Koup now.

Roof rack, rusted hood and stretched tires are a must. J/K lol
Friday, May 27, 2011 3:48 AM
Like the car and the color. I've always been curious about these motors - they are direct injected and use variable valve timing right? Are there any options for end-user tunability? How far can you safely take the stock bottom end and what is the typical breaking point?

Friday, May 27, 2011 4:23 AM
Nice intake, My Friends Brought that damn Carbino Intake for theres

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Friday, May 27, 2011 5:22 AM
The DSG is definitely worth a test drive, it's an awesome trans, I'll try to get a few cell phone vids of the tach through some gear shifts, it's impressive.

Thanks everyone, I'm loving the car so far.

Yes the engine is direct jnjection with variable valve timing. I haven't seen any DIY software to flash on your own but you can get 91/93/100 octane tunes for bolts ons with factory downpipe, bolt ons with downpipe (right at the turbo outlet is a large cat with the density of a brick wall, it's a huge restriction in the stock exhaust, in fact it's the only real restriction), K04 upgrades, stage 3 big turbo upgrades, it's a very well saturated market. Power limits of the engine haven't been reached, running out of fuel system is the first hurdle.... but then again AWE is in the 11.80's @120 on a k04 and only a 2.5" exhaust with a completely stock fuel system so it's not a hurdle most will have to deal with.

Friday, May 27, 2011 5:27 AM
Oh and nothing wring with the carbonio intakes, they are nice and they work. They completely seal the filter from engine bay air, they are completely sealed in a carbon shell that gets it's air through the same spot this does. Only complains are price, the stage 2 is useless... we sell them and tell people not to wate there money on it, we didn't have them in stock, and finally it has the same cold air ram air style setup but it is sealed, if you get water in there there is nowhere for it to drain. We offer to drill 2 small holes in the bottom of the carbon fiber air box to let water drain if it gets in.

Friday, May 27, 2011 7:11 AM
Looking good. Nice car indeed

Friday, May 27, 2011 7:25 AM
i dig it alot but still needs different wheels

hows gas mileage so far ?

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Friday, May 27, 2011 7:57 AM
I'm surprised it took you this long for the bike solution

Want hub spacers? Shoot me a PM.

Friday, May 27, 2011 9:41 AM
I haven't been keeping real close track of gas mileage, it usually takes a new car a few tanks to steady out but it hasn't been bad at all so far. I think I did 350ish miles on 13 gallons.

I had the bike solution figured out before I bought the car, I ordered the tow hitch the day I took the car home

Friday, May 27, 2011 9:47 AM
HAHA nice

Want hub spacers? Shoot me a PM.

Friday, May 27, 2011 10:12 AM
Here's the DSG in action, speed is steady just a few up and down shifts

Friday, May 27, 2011 10:19 AM
It's really amazing what APR has been able to do with those 2.0T's.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Friday, May 27, 2011 10:36 AM
It does shift fast. nice update and keep them coming.

Friday, May 27, 2011 10:58 AM
I had thought about looking at a MKV with the DSG but I have read too many issues on oil consumption and the valves getting a whole bunch of carbon build up.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Friday, May 27, 2011 11:02 AM
This makes me happy Great car, exactly the GTI I'd get, if I could. haha Can't wait to see what else you do to it!

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter

Friday, May 27, 2011 12:58 PM
Freelancer1988 wrote:It does shift fast. nice update and keep them coming.

Average shift time is 600 milliseconds thats cruising around normal driving. If your smashing the Go pedal as it reaches a high enough rpm that it knows it won't downshift the trans will preselect the next gear up, engage it but not apply the clutch, as the clutch for one gear disengages clutch for the next gear up is enaging... It'll crack off preselected full throttle upshifts in 8 milliseconds. It's possible because it's 2 manual transmissions with a hydraulic controlled wet clutch for each all inside 1 case. It's faster then humanly possible to shift a manual and the turbo never slows down. I can say enough about how awesome the DSG is.

Friday, May 27, 2011 2:16 PM
Nice progress so far, I like the sound of the plans. I'm a die hard manual fan, but honestly DSG sounds really sweet and if the next car I get has the option I think it will be a VERY hard decision for me.

Friday, May 27, 2011 9:22 PM
I think these cars have so much style. One thing I don't really care for is the half moon notch in the hood for the VW emblem. Just a preference. Other than that, I love this car. Looks like you are really going to enjoy it.
Saturday, May 28, 2011 7:15 AM
nice car. thanks for the updates.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search