Darkstars MKVI GTI thread - info, updates, and photoshoots - Page 4 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Darkstars MKVI GTI thread - info, updates, and photoshoots
Sunday, June 05, 2011 12:00 PM
98z24ragtop wrote:Type M's for sure!!! Or some BBS RSs

haha mike barry is my boy! thumbs up for pics from SOWO!!! I was there for sure.

Sunday, June 05, 2011 6:14 PM
I got to put my bike rack to use for the first time today on a trip up to Kettle Moraine, we got a trail run in and biked for a couple hours. I love the new racks, I will NEVER do roof racks again, this is so easy and convenient and no hit on the gas mileage.

With the bikes on. The rack doesn't just pin into the hitch, its threaded inside so you slide in a special hitch pin that threads in bolts down tight so it doesn't bounce and then you put a keyed pin lock on the end. The arm that slides down and grab on the front tire at the fork legs has a keyed locks so you can't release it, and out of the end there is thick steel cable the loop through the frame that then has a keyed lock. Great setup.

You can leave the bikes on, pull out a locking pin and hit a release lever and pivot the whole thing down so you can still have access to the hatch

It's convenient to hold your bike instead of laying it down in the parking lot.

Monday, June 06, 2011 12:35 AM
Wow nice stuff for sure!!!
Monday, June 06, 2011 7:33 PM
I told the wheel gap to go suck a dick! Custom spec H&R springs. The owner of our dealership is big into racing, he had H&R make some springs for one of his SCCA cars.With input from VW TDI cup crew cheif and H&R he decided on spring rates and ride height he wanted and H&R made them. He ordered a bunch of sets, we sell them on some brand new cars and through our parts department. My ONLY complaint is the rear sits slightly lower than the front, I'm hoping the front will settle, theres a finger width gap in front and the rear has no gap but my cost was $140 so I can't bitch to much. If I'm not happy with them I'll wait till after wheels and get some ST coilovers (designed, built, and warrantied by KW without the premium price tag)

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:47 PM
Drop in the daylight

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:45 PM
Random question but did you paint the calipers or do they actually come from VW painted red?

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:57 PM
All GTI's come red

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 3:11 PM
Looks awesome lowered but the fronts NEED to settle.
Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:23 AM
I don't think it will settle in just the front.... Hense the reason it's getting coilovers today

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:26 AM

Want hub spacers? Shoot me a PM.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 11:50 AM
coilovers are for the win

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 12:44 PM
So I have coilovers sitting in front of me to go on. I'm waiting for a BSH Torque arm insert that I bought last week to show up, I have a 42 Draft Designs downpipe with a 200 cell high flow cat and resonator built in and the whole thing is ceramic coated that I ordered last week and I'm waiting for it to show up, and I have a set of wheels that I ordered that I just ordered that should be here in roughly a week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:08 PM

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 4:44 PM
Jesus, spending like mad, but I am insanely happy for you on purchasing wheels. My buddy has those same wheels on his(I think 06 or 07 GTi?). Either way, I can't stand them at all!!

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Wednesday, June 08, 2011 4:47 PM
Damn man, you are wasting no time with this thing, props on the quick work. Looks pretty sick, I love the bike rack, seems very functional for sure. When it's slammed it's gonna need new rims
Keep it up man.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 5:17 PM
Can't wait to see the new suspension/wheel set-up. Please don't camber the wheels like crazy like the Mini in the other thread. LOL
Wednesday, June 08, 2011 5:28 PM
MyKoup_owns_theZ wrote:Can't wait to see the new suspension/wheel set-up. Please don't camber the wheels like crazy like the Mini in the other thread. LOL

If I know Ryan even a little bit, I highly doubt he is going for that "Stance" look

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Wednesday, June 08, 2011 5:46 PM
Nah he is gonna flat black it, get way too wide of tires.... best part is, he will have someone else do all the work and bitch about it to everyone else since we all saw how big his garage is, he has no room to do it himself.

and duuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh your supposed to swap the springs front to rear. psh everyone knows that!

I really do want to see this thing hit a dyno though for sure, just to know what it does.

How far are you from plainfield?

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:14 PM
Darkstars wrote:So I have coilovers sitting in front of me to go on. I'm waiting for a BSH Torque arm insert that I bought last week to show up, I have a 42 Draft Designs downpipe with a 200 cell high flow cat and resonator built in and the whole thing is ceramic coated that I ordered last week and I'm waiting for it to show up, and I have a set of wheels that I ordered that I just ordered that should be here in roughly a week.

..... And how many miles are on it? You dont mess around, Love it!

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:20 PM
I thought about slamming it, cambering the @!#$ out of it, and making it so I bottom out all the time and rub all over..... but I'm not retarded, so I went with a setup that will get me next to no wheel gap while retaining stock comfort and have better handling.

After a week or so I'll readjust heights to get it right where I want it, align it TO SPEC, then swap the new wheels on it, wax that bitch up and do a proper photoshoot

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:21 PM
KG wrote:
Darkstars wrote:So I have coilovers sitting in front of me to go on. I'm waiting for a BSH Torque arm insert that I bought last week to show up, I have a 42 Draft Designs downpipe with a 200 cell high flow cat and resonator built in and the whole thing is ceramic coated that I ordered last week and I'm waiting for it to show up, and I have a set of wheels that I ordered that I just ordered that should be here in roughly a week.

..... And how many miles are on it? You dont mess around, Love it!

I bought it brand new not even 2 weeks ago

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:34 PM

Thursday, June 09, 2011 10:09 AM
So I've only had these on since last night but initial impressions... PERFECT! it's exactly what I was looking for, damn near stock ride quality (only time the comfort level feels different is over BIG bumps), the handling feels the same but to be fair the stock stuff had phenomenal handling, the tires are by far the weak link in the handling but they arent bad. The car still stays flat maybe a hair flatter through corners (highway on/off ramps) with the coilovers. Wheel gap is gone!

Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:40 AM
Pics? Great progress man.

Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:04 PM
Why didn't you just cut your springs?

Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:24 PM
I was going to but I needed to buy things so I could do a crocked sticker roll call down the back window

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search