This is a good one..... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
This is a good one.....
Wednesday, June 01, 2011 6:27 PM
Ok, so, MY friend has a 98 accord with the 3.0L V6, heavily modded as far as appearence anyway, well, we were working on it one day, went to pull it in the garage, and it kept losing voltage and dying, it had a high output 180A alt on it, so he ordered a new one, at 220A for the increased need for power from the new build. Put it in and did the big 3 in 0 gauge, still did the same thing, thought, ok maybe they sent a bad alternator, sent that one back, got a new one, same thing, has a new battery in front and back, with battery isolator between the 2, 0 gauge run for everything. Weird part is, at idle the voltage will start at 12.7V and slowly go up to 14.2V, never higher. When you rev it at idle, or drive it, it wont die, but, the weird part, at a higher RPM, the lower the voltage will drop. For example, the other day it was at 14.2V idling, put it in drive, went down the road, nothing running pulling excess power (stereo, compressors, ect, just the normal stuff for a car) and at 1500RPM it had dropped to 11.6V......im very confused, any ideas???? Thanks!

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"

Re: This is a good one.....
Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9:28 PM
did you check fuses, wiring, and battery? i have seen a battery make a alt test bad or won't even let it test at all. new battery tested perfect. battery had a bad cell causing the alt to do all the work. there is also a fusable link sometimes in the wire off the alternator or a fuse for the charging system/alt. might be a problem also not allowing the alternator to put the charge back into the battery.

thats all i can think of off hand at the moment.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 12:25 AM
okay, my blazer kinda does what ur saying, when i hit about 3000+ rpm the volt gauge will drop, the lights will dim etc etc, and when it shifts it will all come back

from what people tell me, its either a tensioner pulley, or a bad alternator

Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:15 AM
Alt is new. This is the 3rd one weve tried in it. All of them do the same thing. New battery front and back, both test good. As far as fuses, havent checked....maybe it would be because the main relay for the charging system is a 100A and the alt is a 220A? Maybe its making the relay go crazy?? I remember looking at it and thinking of that. I know fuses are good, but, last time the main relay went out on his car, it wouldnt start....maybe its allowing it to start but theres so much voltage through it that its just going nuts while running, and gets worse as the alt is trying to put more through as the RPMs rise? Just a thought......not sure how to test that though..but, it never did that with his old 180A alt....

As far as wiring, it did it with the stock, now we have stock and big 3 in 0 gauge and still does it. When i did the big 3 it looked like the factory stuff was fine still..

Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:24 AM
Are you running a smaller alt pulley?

Friday, June 03, 2011 5:21 AM
Dont think its any smaller than stock. I do know its the same size as the 180A alt had on it too.....but, i have never seen the stock alt for those cars..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search