Some nice, shiny, 300hp CX-7 pictures - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Some nice, shiny, 300hp CX-7 pictures
Monday, August 01, 2011 6:33 PM
Well I've had the Mazda now for 2-1/2 months and finally got around to giving it a good bath, wax, buff, and got some pictures taken before it rained on me again. I've also been working on the engine a little bit. I've added basically every bolt-on that's available that won't screw with reliability or drive-ability or isn't easily removable for any kind of warranty issues I may encounter (I have a 3-year extended warranty that is basically bumper to bumper).

My engine breathes through a Custom Performance Engineering cold air intake, where the air is squeezed by the stock K04 turbo and then sent through a Custom Performance stock replacement top-mount intercooler, which is connected to the engine via CorkSport 6-layer silicone hoses with t-bolt clamps. Denso ITV22 spark plugs (one range colder than stock) fire the fuel mixture - tuned by mazdaEdit ECU reflash software - and then expel it through the turbo and towards the back of the car through a CorkSport catless 3" downpipe, which connects to the stock catback exhaust (which retains one of the two catalytic convertors). Boost spikes are handled by a Forge Motorsport stock replacement recirculation valve, and PCV gases are routed through a $30 eBay catch can (gotta have something awesome and custom from eBay). I'm figuring a conservative 300 flywheel horsepower from the engine, considering a stock version is 245 and CorkSport claims 26whp from the catless downpipe alone, plus the mazdaEdit software allows me to run the throttle body at 100% WOT (stock tune actually closes to about 85% near redline) and it's also pushing 3-4 extra psi. All I know is that my CX-7 now sounds like it has a dump truck turbo and pulls like a freight train. It's not what I would call "fast", but when you're rolling at 35mph and tip into about 3/4 throttle, 90mph comes up pretty quickly with literally no feeling of acceleration or sound of strain on the engine at all.

It's actually quite ridiculous that a 4000lb pseudo-minivan/quasi-SUV can perform as well as this thing does - acceleration, handling, and braking is more like driving a 5-series BMW or - dare I say - a Pontiac G8 than one of it's competitors (the boring Toyota Rav-4 or even blander Honda CR-V). True, it's no Mini in the bends and it's not gonna win a drag race against an SRT Jeep, but for what I paid I don't know of a better combination of sport, utility, build quality, and looks than a CX-7. It is truly the perfect car for what I want to do. Anyway, on to the pictures:

Check out the front lip spoiler from Mazda. It totally transforms the look from a bulbous minivan wannabe to an almost RX-8ish hatchback.

Stock intake next to cold air intake:

Stock vs. CorkSport downpipe:

3.25" thick intercooler (stock one is 2"):

With the intercooler scoop in place, you can hardly tell anything has been done to the engine:

Front rotors were warped when I bought it, so I got new ones, painted the hats and outside edges so they don't rust, and also painted the front calipers:

I painted the silver rings around the fog light surrounds, here's how they looked originally:

My stock HID bulbs were kinda dim, so I bought some 5000k replacements (stock ones are 4300k). New on left, old on right:

That's all for now. Questions/comments/derogatory remarks appreciated!

Re: Some nice, shiny, 300hp CX-7 pictures
Monday, August 01, 2011 6:39 PM
DIFFERENT, I've always been curious about the cx7.....has it been to the track at all?

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 3:53 AM
nice subtle upgrades

i can dig it

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 4:50 AM
These were on my short list of possible new cars a few years ago.

Very nice cars even bone stock they were decent.

Want hub spacers rear disk brackets or trailing arm bushings? Shoot me a PM.

Thursday, August 04, 2011 4:57 AM
I love the 2.3L DISI powerplant, stemming from bias of loving the LNF lol. It's so easy to make power with bolt ons and good tuning.

So pardon my ignorance, but this car comes in AWD, and has not option for a manual trans right?

Thursday, August 04, 2011 11:33 AM
I was wondering about a manual trans....

Buuut I LOOOOVE it. When I was looking at new cars I test drove one and LOVED it. Cheap, and for a SUV/mini van.... quick and fun to drive. I would love to see what this would feel like on a ride. A local guy put a BOV on his and it is freaking awesome.

Future plans?

Oh and it's sad that my car weighs about as much as you... lol.

Saturday, August 06, 2011 2:01 PM
It has not been to the track at all, and honestly probably won't ever be. It's not a 1/4 mile drag monster, stock they run 15.7 and if I could hit 15 flat with all my stuff I'd be content. The automatic trans and all-wheel drive sucks up a lot of power.

A manual transmission is an option, but like everything else that's cool, you can only get it overseas. Us fat lazy Americans only get the auto, though I gotta say it's a very very good auto trans - 6 speed Aisin with close ratios, and after the reflash software it actually has a little bit of kick to the shifts, too. If you're coasting down a long hill it will actually downshift to engine brake, it's the first car I've ever driven that will do that.

Future plans are a Protege Garage turbo, which is a stock turbo that's ported & polished and they change the center section out for a higher-flowing but quicker-spooling setup. So I can run less boost and make the same power, but with less lag and more top-end pull. That's 3 years away, though. Maybe heavy-duty motor mounts if I can find some that don't rattle the fillings out of your teeth. I also want to lower it with either H&R or Vogtland springs (about a 2" drop) and add some 20's to it. I have a set of Yokohama Parada Spec X 255/45-20's ordered from Tire Rack, but they're on backorder for another month or so. I have 3 wheel styles I'm trying to decide on:

ASA GT5:

Sport Edition KV5:

KMC Nova:

I like all three, there's one I like a lot more than the others but it's a fair amount more expensive, too. I dunno, let me know what you think.

GTmatters, where in PA do you live? If you're close to Pittsburgh a test ride may be in order!

Sunday, August 07, 2011 6:33 PM
KMC Novas will look tits with a drop! Nice sleeper, man!

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Monday, August 08, 2011 11:28 AM
I live only about an hour and 45min from monroville and frequent Bloomfield, the Strip, and Homestead(the waterfront of course....).

Cruise/test drive would be sweet. Do you live in the 412? I may be going to the burgh next week for the zoo with my woman and what not.

Monday, August 08, 2011 11:36 AM
98z24ragtop wrote:KMC Novas will look tits with a drop! Nice sleeper, man!

Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:15 PM
Just got my transmission flushed out today and had the transfer case and rear diff fluids changed... $350 straight up my bumhole.

GTmatters wrote:I live only about an hour and 45min from monroville and frequent Bloomfield, the Strip, and Homestead(the waterfront of course....).

Cruise/test drive would be sweet. Do you live in the 412? I may be going to the burgh next week for the zoo with my woman and what not.

I actually live in Jeannette, home of that ass bag Terrelle Pryor. Yes, I'm very proud of him... ha! I'm about 25 minutes from Monroeville. Maybe I'll check out some local J meets and we'll catch up there.

the Jew wrote:
98z24ragtop wrote:KMC Novas will look tits with a drop! Nice sleeper, man!

At least everyone else is on the same page as I am. I really like the first wheels, but not in chrome, and they're not available in silver. Sooo, that means the Nova's are gonna be it.

Monday, August 29, 2011 9:09 PM
Just ordered my wheels:

TSW Nurburgring. 20 x 8.5" 23lbs, same weight as the stock 18's. Now I just need to order up some lowering springs and get my tires back in stock at Tire Rack and then I'll be finished with mods.

I also added a Sure Motorsports Torq R7 rear motor mount. I was getting a little bit of clunkiness when you would back off the throttle and the transmission would shift at the same time. It didn't happen often, but it was enough to bother me when it did. This completely fixes that, without any noticeable increase in vibration at idle. You basically never know it's there, which is perfect.

Monday, September 05, 2011 4:15 PM
have a 2009 cx7.... LOVE IT! i drive the passat (also boosted) most of the time and my wife drives the 7, but i just love how the 7 keeps giving me more if i ask!! so fun to drive. i wish i could mod it a bit.... oh well, maybe in time.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 12:15 PM
Can't wait to see the rims installed. Makes me want a CX7 more and more....

I was just in The Burgh yesterday for a show in Millvale. Just let me know when you want to do something! We need to try to get another Primanti brothers meet before winter hits! I missed the last one.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 6:22 PM
Very nice!

GTmatters wrote:Oh and it's sad that my car weighs about as much as you... lol.

How do you figure this, off by around 1,000lbs!

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 7:25 PM
On my door it says my cobalt weighs 3,800 lbs. lol.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:35 AM
Weird!

Curb weight 2,815 lb - 3,001 lb, mine @ the track with me in it just tipped over 3,000 so I think that's quite accurate.

HHR weighed in at 3,404 with me in it. 400lbs on the Cobalt!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:42 AM
GTmatters wrote:On my door it says my cobalt weighs 3,800 lbs. lol.

you sure thats not max loading weight?

Nice CX7 btw!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:45 PM
Just a teaser:

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:15 PM
Looks good.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:53 PM
ebrown0104 wrote:Just a teaser:

Diggin the wheels a lot!

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter

Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:11 AM
approved

Thursday, September 22, 2011 11:10 AM
Great choice!

Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:37 PM
New wheels are perfect!!!

I love how you painted the silver surroundings of the fog lights! Very nice touch!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search