best car to buy for 2000 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
best car to buy for 2000
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 11:31 AM
I am looking to buy a car for about 2k what's the most reliable car for the money? I want a 5sp gas sipper that's super reliable . I have a cavalier and its blown its second head and I'm just done with this car. Please guide me in what you guys think is best.

Re: best car to buy for 2000
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 12:10 PM
get a 2003 cavalier

Modding my j since I found the org
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 12:24 PM
I should have expected that answer since. I'm on a jbody forum. Ok if a cavalier wasn't an option what else? Kinda tired of cavaliers sad to say.
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 12:39 PM
In my area 03+ eco cavys are +$4k, I got my 2000 Z24 for $2400 CAD, has 170000km on it and is in very good cond, body has few minor scraches and runs great. I wanted to find a eco cavy but couldn't find one in my price range. I think the 00-02 LD9s are pretty reliable.
If you want a super cheap car, I had a 95 neon sport before the cavy and paid $200 for it, in good running/driving cond. It leaked oil, was rough shifting, grinded gears sometimes, but was okay, drove it for a year, all through a long winter, never left me stranded, anytime something did break, I was still able to drive it back to work to fix and was able to use parts off one of the 30-40 neons at the local pick n pull. In all I spent about $100 on repairs for a year, including oil. Then the clutch started going and kept driving it until I got my tax return, few days before my tax return, the car was screwed, had no clutch at all, sliped like crazy and could not dis engage completely, it was not drivable at all. Bought the cavy and few weeks after, sold the neon for $360.... It was an investment beater..... The wife told me I was not allowed to spend a few hundred to fix it and keep driving it and I had to buy something more reliable. It is just to drive to work since she has a 05 mazda 3 we use as the family car. I love the cavy but it was nice having a car you dont care about and can beat up on.

Best advice to you though is just wait to find a good deal, there are well taken care of cars out there, just have to find them.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 12:45 PM
How bout a 2000ish Sunfire?

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 1:03 PM
I was tthinking about a saturn or corolla
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 5:20 PM
Late 90's Saturn S series go for around $2,000 range if your lucky you could find a '00-'02 for $2,500.

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 5:23 PM
How good are saturns. I haveny heard anything bad but that dont mean much
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 5:38 PM
what's the most reliable car for the money?

Spending more money on a newer car, unless you know how to work on cars. Any car under 2 grand can be a mixed bag. The under 2 crowd of cars are usually "fixer uppers", and with the lack of cheap cars due to the economy, it's pretty hard to do-though you might get lucky.

J bodies are still hard to beat for bang for buck. S series are in the same boat. As far as anything GM, late model 3.8s can work too.

Bottom line-you are not going to get much for 2 grand. Pony up the cash, or learn how to fix your car......

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 5:44 PM
I found a 99 Saturn for 1900 has 89k on it from a dealer. I've had plenty of cars I bought for under 1500 that were good clean cars. I agree some repairs is normal but this car has needed repairs everyweek. I'm done putting money into it.
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 5:56 PM
Any car that cost 2k will require repairs often. I mean think about it most vehicles in that range are 10 years old and probably have over 100k miles. If the drivetrain is your main concern you want to look for cars that just have some minor bad damage but are mechanically sound. Don't buy a car that has been in a major accident, just something a chick used to drive and bump into stuff a lot ha

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 6:05 PM
dakota sutherland wrote:I found a 99 Saturn for 1900 has 89k on it from a dealer. I've had plenty of cars I bought for under 1500 that were good clean cars. I agree some repairs is normal but this car has needed repairs everyweek. I'm done putting money into it.

While it is still true to some extent (and there are still some places where the prices of cars did not go crazy), due to many factors, beater cars are more in demand than they ever have been. At least in my area, 10 year old cars can still go around 4-5 grand here. Insane? Yes, but people will play for them.....

Just keep on looking, I'm sure you'll find something good.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:21 AM
dakota sutherland wrote:I found a 99 Saturn for 1900 has 89k on it from a dealer. I've had plenty of cars I bought for under 1500 that were good clean cars. I agree some repairs is normal but this car has needed repairs everyweek. I'm done putting money into it.

Not a bad price considering what Saturns go for locally. No matter what your vehicle choice is have the vehicle checked out by a mechanic before you buy it, spend a little now instead of alot later. As for Saturn S series reliability, my dad has beat the crap out of his '99 and it still runs. It's been in a ditch twice due to icy country roads, hit a couple of large critters, raccoons, chicken, He drove it for quite a while with the check engine light on till the fuel pump went kaput. It has 240,000+ miles and still counting. The wife & I's saturn rolled over 100,000 miles this year. There's one local guy that was on the high mileage club at what used to be the old Saturn dealership with 300,000+miles. Saturns do have their quirks though, you have to keep an eye on the oil level like all cars but some saturns tend to burn thru more oil, I usually have to add half - 3/4 a quart a month, I've heard of others burning thru a quart a month; the shifter tends to stick sometimes in the automatics so sometimes you have to be a little forceful. One thing I love about saturns is you can fit so much stuff in them. Everybody I've talked to that had a S series loves or loved them.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 3:46 AM
Get a 1998-99 Toyota Tercel. Superior reliability and fuel economy. Brand new cars from today still can't compete with it. lol
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:08 PM
MyKoup_owns_theZ wrote:Get a 1998-99 Toyota Tercel. Superior reliability and fuel economy. Brand new cars from today still can't compete with it. lol

the older ones are great too but the engine didnt have any support. teh 3ee i think it was

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:24 PM
If you weren't so far away, my buddy is selling a 96 4 door ex civic for 2500 with 67xxx original miles.

But id look for maybe a 91-95 civic, or a 94-97 integra, most can be picked up for about that range with 100xxx miles or so, but hondas run forever. lol i picked up my 95 integra with 300xxx for 1500 from an older couple that drove it on long distances. and it was spotless inside and out. Until i wrecked it, and traded a buddy my LS and a case of beer for a JDM B20. lol but its definetely still a good beater, hasnt left me stranded, and hondas are easy as hell and cheap to fix and the aftermarket is huge.
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:25 PM
i bought a 200sx with the 1.6l its amazingly slow but i get 40 mpg with it and it looks kinda sporty but they also come with a sr20 and its easy to swap in a sr20det

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:32 PM
If you ain't worried about social standings in the car world and are really worried about fuel prices, get a Geo Metro.
Thursday, August 04, 2011 11:35 AM
Cavy, sunflower, Saturn s series, honda civic, many good gas mileage cars for 2k. Just all depends how many miles you want to have on your car and the year.

Thursday, August 04, 2011 3:24 PM
How many miles you think I should stay under?
Thursday, August 04, 2011 6:25 PM
dakota sutherland wrote:How many miles you think I should stay under?

If you can find them under 100,000mi the better they'll be if they didn't get abused.

Saturday, August 06, 2011 1:16 PM
there are hundreds of cars you can get for under $2000. how about you search? wait, i feel like im repeating myself to you. maybe ive suggested this to you in the past Dakota

Saturday, August 06, 2011 7:13 PM
All the cars ive looked at have sucked. I've had nothing but trouble with my cavi I dont want another one. I've searched alot I just wanted real answers from real people
Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:58 AM
I'd still say go with another Cavy or Sunfire. My 98 had 150k before I swapped the motor and tranny and that was only because I found low mileage ones for cheap. And all your repair info is right here on j-body.org lol

Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:46 PM
It's been almost 6 months, think he found something by now, Cruisin? lol

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search