Opinions on Hyundai Genesis Coupe - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Opinions on Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:39 PM
I've been thinking for months about what to do with my sunfire. Its at the point now where its either going to be a permanent daily driver or it will get pulled off the road this fall for a major overhaul. I have had my eye on the Genesis coupe since they first came out and have been looking a bit harder recently. I haven't gone for any test drives yet, but hopefully soon. I'm curious about opinions on which is the better choice, the 2.0 Gt for 31 grand, or the 3.8 for 33 grand? I'd love to get the 3.8 Gt but its almost 37 grand before taxes which is too much for me. I definitely won't be buying anything until spring but its fun to plan ahead!

Re: Opinions on Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 7:41 PM
Tuesday, August 02, 2011 8:31 PM
A friend of mine had 2. Both were RSpecs 2.0T. his first was bought back because it had 3 tranny's. Regardless both cars I liked. I like the way they drove, looked etc...

The 2.0t has nothing for my cavy, but still a fun car. I realize the 3.8 is faster, has more power, but I do not like the V6. I hear they are coming out with a V8 in the next year or so, but that makes me like it much more.

2.0t. RSpec has big brakes, and looks nice.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 9:56 PM
30+ for a hyundai? hell @!#$ no..... you can do MUCH better with that money...

Tuesday, August 02, 2011 10:34 PM
Yeah dude I wouldn't pay that kind of money for that car AT ALL. I got to sit in one a year or 2 ago and check it out... the interior was cheap feeling, the doors felt flimsy and were loud and clunky when you closed them. They felt cheap... like most Hyundai's of days past. Sorry but no matter the motor, styling, or appeal, that interior and cheap feeling killed it for me. I can't believe they are asking that kind of money for them!

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:05 AM
Holy @!#$...I didnt know they were that expensive....they have one that starts at 58 Grand as well (Not a genesis)

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 2:46 AM
Where do you live that these prices are so high. I bought my gen coupe just over a year ago with 2 kms on it and it was way less than the prices you listed. I bought the 2.0T with big brakes, LSD, HIDs etc.

Problems
1)The manual trannys are garbage for the most part and the auto robs so much power. They are working on the tranny problem but a lot of people on gencoupe.com have grinding/clunking/crunchy shifts.

2)The 2.0T should be making more power stock. Its like 200hp or close to it with similar torque #'s. There are a few other makes that have a 2.0 that make 50-100hp more.

RWD
6speed
Handles amazing for a stock car
Comfortable
Aftermaket parts
Decent stereo
Great looking car
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:15 AM
I believe the tranny issues have been resolved. I do not follow them, but from what my friend told me the 2011 got a different tranny. His last was a 2011 and he had not issues.

I agree the motor shouild, and can put out more. The same motor is in the Sonata making more power then the Gen.

I liked the interior, and the feel fo the seats etc..

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:33 AM
for 33 grand I'd get a fkn Nissan Maxima, 300 hp gorgeous interior, and rides amazing.

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:29 AM
ExESIVEFIRE wrote:33 grand?!?!

pass

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 8:56 AM
I was in one the other day...the 2.0 turbo. I must say they are a very clean car. Paddle shift is nice and the rwd is also a bonus. Mind you the car isn't a rocket with only around 200hp but where it is already a turbo car there is definitely room for improvements. On the other hand another friend bought a few year old WRX with 265hp and paid 33,000, so I don't think the price is that crazy. When you look at the civic si, vw GTi, cobalt ss tc they are all low to mid 30's new so I think the genesis coupe is on par with those cars of similar performance, except the genesis is rwd which I think its way better.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 11:29 AM
Wherever u live that a civic si, cobalt ss, or USED wrx is selling for 33+, I don't ever want to live. Your friend got ripped off hard paying used sti prices for a used wrx. Ouch.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:08 PM
Well cars are cheaper in the US than here in canada. All the vehicles I listed (civic, cobalt, genesis) run low-mid 30's and then STI's run low 40's before tax.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 1:13 PM
The regular WRX run 33-36 before tax. So the WRX with no extra options would be $41,400 here. My friend paid 33 taxes in. So she saved almost 10,000. I don't think she got ripped off cause it only has 18,000kms on it (11,250 miles). Saying that 33,000 is still alot of money, but definitely a good platform to build onto.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 3:37 PM
I wouldn't. Seriously, there are a TON of better cars for that price. The 2.0T engine feels gutless in that heavy body, and the V6 is just too close in price to a lot of other cars with better engines and interiors that have less problems. If RWD and a six speed is your main focus, a V6 mustang isn't a bad choice these days, and would save you thousands.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 3:40 PM
I'd buy a year old one, save like 10,000 and put a bigger turbo on it. 300whp easy. But I think its a nice car so I'm kinda bias.

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 5:22 PM
I didn't realize cars were that much more expensive in CA.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:51 PM
For 30k thats ONE BAD ASS VETTE, or anything bad ass LS1 powered. hell for 30K you could buy 2 camaro's in excellent condition EASY. one auto and one m6 so you could have your lazy days or your fun days

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:52 PM
Yes I should have mentioned in my original post that 33 grand was canadian dollars! I priced out a new 2012 civic si and a 2011 corolla xrs just out of curiousity, and with all the options they easily clear 30 grand, its crazy in canada! I haven't even sat in a Genesis yet so there is a lot of comparing and test driving to do before I sign the dotted line on any kind of car. Its really helpful though to hear about experiences with the Genesis that other people have had. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice!

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 6:58 PM
The internals on the gensis are terrible I think you have to upgrade after you about 250whp, nice but gutless

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 9:08 PM
This is what I bought in march(late) to replace my daily of 24yrs(keeping it).Granted the price is was wayy under canada cost.I paid literally a touch over 21k for this 2011 LX S alloys,rear splr,mudgrds, velour (or something like that) interior.leather wrapd strg whl.Yeah I know little 1.8 but,this will be a solid,daily I will keep stock(just me) and love the sh!@ out of it.Auto and like that after 24 yrs of shifting I need a break.Bsides the old cav is a 4spd anyhow.

Thursday, August 04, 2011 4:52 AM
For the money i'd sooner have a new V6 mustang or camaro, or even a 350/370z. Hell i'd rather have an LS1/6 CTSV. The genesis coupe is nice on the eyes, but people have already exemplified the negatives - poor power to weight ratio, iffy manual trans, reliability at power levels much above stock. IMO there are much better cars out there for that kind of money, so make sure you really like that particular car over all the other options in that price range...

Thursday, August 04, 2011 5:31 AM
oldskool wrote:For the money i'd sooner have a new V6 mustang or camaro, or even a 350/370z. Hell i'd rather have an LS1/6 CTSV. The genesis coupe is nice on the eyes, but people have already exemplified the negatives - poor power to weight ratio, iffy manual trans, reliability at power levels much above stock. IMO there are much better cars out there for that kind of money, so make sure you really like that particular car over all the other options in that price range...

Perfectly stated. IMO the Genesis coupe is beautiful eye candy, but is too lacking to justify the price tag.

Thursday, August 04, 2011 11:02 AM
Pricing on the Genesis in the USA.

Considering everything working correctly, the Genesis' achelis heel is the engine. The Mitsubishi/Chrysler/Hyundai sourced I4 is a anchor to an otherwise competent chassis. Styling is above average IMO, and so is its interior. In 2011 the interior was spruced up a little to what was reasonable for its price interior, to an above average for its price.
If I had to buy a sporty car, this would be it, but the only thing stopping me is the I4.
A Sonata 2.0T engine transplant should be in order for this car, but with more aggressive gearing than what is found in the Sonata. The V6 needs to get the Genesis sedan's new 3.8L with 333HP/291TQ in there too. I would not mind their new 5.0L stuffed in their too.

----------------------
For 2012, not much has changed. Here it is from Hyundai.

2012 HYUNDAI GENESIS COUPE

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif.
The Genesis Coupe comes out fighting in 2012 with excellent rear-wheel driving dynamics, sporty interior design, good value and strong four-cylinder fuel economy. A sleek design and outstanding performance capabilities make the 2012 Genesis Coupe an attractive sports coupe package for car buyers looking to make a statement on the road.
Genesis Coupe is a purpose-built rear-wheel drive sport coupe featuring two performance-focused engines – a 210-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and a range-topping all-aluminum, 306-horsepower, DOHC 3.8-liter V6 engine.

2012 GENESIS COUPE HIGHLIGHTS
-306-horsepower from enhanced 3.8-liter V6 from Genesis sedan
-210-horsepower turbocharged, intercooled inline four cylinder achieving 30 mpg highway
-Platform-mate and sinister sibling of Car of the Year-winning Genesis sedan
-Genesis Coupe is Hyundai’s most dynamic performance car, appealing directly to the true driving enthusiast. Genesis Coupe uses the same flexible rear-wheel drive architecture developed for the Genesis sport sedan.

POWERTRAINS

Two engines infuse Genesis Coupe with performance. The 3.8-liter Lambda DOHC V6 engine delivers 306-horsepower and 266 lb-ft of torque on regular unleaded. This engine will launch the Genesis Coupe from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 5.5 seconds. To maximize the power band, the 3.8-liter engine utilizes DCVVT and a new Variable Intake System (VIS) that helps cylinders breathe more efficiently at both low and high RPM. Better-breathing results in outstanding off-the-line acceleration, passing performance and remarkable fuel efficiency. The V6 engine uses an alloy block and cylinder heads for lighter weight and thermal efficiency, and features durable timing chains with no scheduled maintenance.

The turbocharged, intercooled 2.0-liter DOHC inline four-cylinder benefits from CVVT on both the intake and exhaust camshafts. The 2.0-liter turbo generates 210-horsepower and 223 lb.-ft. of torque, with a fuel economy rating of 21 mpg city and 30 mpg highway for the manual transmission (20 mpg city/30 mpg highway automatic transmission). It also features a cast-aluminum cylinder block and cylinder head. Both engines feature a free-flowing dual cat-back exhaust and an available Torsen® limited-slip differential to put the power to the ground.

SPORT-TUNED SUSPENSION
Genesis Coupe employs a MacPherson® strut dual-link front suspension and a five-link independent rear suspension setup. The front suspension is mounted to the body via a solid subframe which is lighter and stronger than a multi-piece component. To help reduce body roll and tune the Genesis Coupe’s at-the-limit handling for maximum predictability, 24-mm diameter front and 19-mm diameter rear stabilizer bars are used.

While all Genesis Coupe models offer an engaging driving experience, the high-performance Genesis Coupe R-Spec and 3.8 Track models are the most willing partners for the true enthusiast. The track-tuned suspension features a stiffer front and rear spring rate and unique shock valving. The Genesis Coupe R-Spec and 3.8 Track models deliver a substantial increase in roll control over standard versions of the Genesis Coupe. Superb structural rigidity sets the foundation for precisely-tuned handling performance in all Genesis Coupes.

TRANSMISSIONS
Both engines are mated to a standard six-speed manual transmission. The Genesis Coupe 2.0T offers an optional five-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC® while the 3.8-liter V6 offers a ZF® six-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC to handle the additional torque. Both automatic transmissions feature steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

HIGH PERFORMANCE BRAKING SYSTEMS
Brembo four-piston calipers clamp down on 13.4-inch ventilated front brake rotors and 13-inch ventilated rear rotors on R-Spec and 3.8 Track models. All other models get substantial 12.6-inch front ventilated rotors and 12.4-inch rotors in the rear with floating single-piston calipers.

INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES
Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track offers Xenon high-intensity discharge (HID) headlights. The advantages of HID headlamps include greater lighting power, daylight-type lighting and reduced power consumption.

Music lovers will welcome the Genesis Coupe’s standard auxiliary input jacks (3.5 mm mini-jack and USB input) to accommodate and charge audio devices such as iPods®. There is an optional in-dash navigation unit with a multi-gauge information display screen. This system provides new features including Bluetooth streaming audio capability. This easy-to-use unit can be controlled via a 6.5-inch WVGA touchscreen or voice-recognition by headliner-mounted microphone.

SEGMENT-LEADING SAFETY TECHNOLOGIES
In keeping with Hyundai’s focus on offering segment-leading standard safety technologies across its lineup, the Genesis Coupe includes a wide range of both active and passive safety features. Standard safety technologies include driver and front passenger advanced frontal airbags, along with front seat-mounted side airbags, side air curtains and active front head restraints.

All Genesis Coupe models feature standard four-channel ABS with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) to optimize brake performance under various dynamic loading conditions. The system also includes Brake Assist, which provides maximum ABS-level braking force when a panic stop is detected.

Electronic Stability Control (ESC), one of the industry’s most effective life-saving technologies, is standard in all Genesis Coupe models.

This focus on weight efficiency pays dividends across the board. The Genesis Coupe 2.0T sets a high fuel efficiency bar with a remarkable 30 mpg estimated EPA highway rating, because of its weight-efficient platform and its efficient 2.0-liter, low-pressure, turbocharged four-cylinder engine.

GENESIS COUPE PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS

2.0T (6-speed MT or 5-speed AT)
2.0T R-Spec (6-speed manual transmission only)
2.0T Premium (5-speed AT only)
3.8 R-Spec (6-speed manual transmission only)
3.8 Grand Touring (6-speed AT only)
3.8 Track (6-speed MT or AT)

GENESIS COUPE 2.0T: A MORE EFFICIENT TAKE ON THE REAR-WHEEL DRIVE SPORT COUPE

Standard equipment includes:

2.0-liter, low-pressure, turbocharged, intercooled 4-cylinder engine with dual continuously variable valve timing delivering 210 hp, 223 lb.-ft. of torque (at just 2,000 rpm), 30 mpg EPA highway rating and a top speed of 137 mph
M6VR1 six-speed manual transmission (Optional: A5SR1 5-speed electronic automatic transmission with lockup torque converter and steering wheel-mounted paddle-shift SHIFTRONIC® controls)
18-inch Euroflange alloy wheels with staggered Bridgestone Potenza RE92A tires (225/45VR18 front, 245/45VR18 rear)
12.6-inch ventilated front rotors with 60mm single piston floating caliper
12.4-inch solid rear rotors with 43mm single piston floating caliper
Sport-tuned MacPherson strut dual-link front suspension and five-link rear independent suspension, 24mm front stabilizer bar, 19mm rear stabilizer bar, front strut brace
Quick-ratio hydraulic steering (2.7 turns lock-to-lock)
Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Traction Control System (TCS)
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
Four-wheel disc brakes with Brake Assist
Six airbags: Advanced dual front airbags with Occupant Classification System (OCS), front seat-mounted side-impact airbags, and roof-mounted side-curtain airbags
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Active front head restraints
Remote keyless entry system with alarm
Driver’s lumbar support
Black-out front lower fascia
Air conditioning with outside temperature display
Dark metalgrain and chrome interior accents
Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
Power windows (one-touch up and down), door locks and mirrors
AM/FM/XM/MP3/CD audio system with six speakers
iPod/ USB/Aux jack connectivity
Steering wheel audio controls
Cruise control
Trip computer
Projector beam headlamps with auto light control
Bluetooth® hands-free connectivity with steering wheel controls

GENESIS COUPE 2.0T R-SPEC: THE ULTIMATE UPGRADEABLE, AFFORDABLE, TURBOCHARGED REAR-WHEEL DRIVE PERFORMANCE PLATFORM

R-Spec model adds or substitutes:

19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels with staggered-width high-performance summer-compound Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires (225/40YR19 front, 245/40YR19 rear)
Brembo® braking system with 13.4-inch ventilated front rotors, 42mm four-piston fixed front calipers (red), 13.0-inch ventilated rear rotors, 32mm+28mm four-piston fixed rear calipers (red)
Track-tuned suspension (higher-rate coil springs, higher-control shock absorbers, 25mm front stabilizer bar, 22mm rear stabilizer bar)
Front strut brace
Torsen limited-slip differential
Black leather bolsters with red cloth insert seats
R-Spec badge
Front camber adjustment bolt (Camber bolts included but not installed. Dealer installation of the camber bolts is optional at the customer’s discretion)
To reduce cost, weight, and complexity, R-Spec eliminates some non-essential convenience equipment such as automatic headlights, cruise control and some chrome/metalgrain interior accents.
Note: Automatic transmission not available with R-Spec

2.0T PREMIUM: HIGH DEMAND TECHNOLOGY

In addition to 2.0T standard equipment, the 2.0T Premium model adds or substitutes:

Power driver’s seat
360-watt AM/FM/XM/MP3/CD Infinity® premium audio system with 10 speakers including DVC subwoofer, eight-channel external amplifier and diversity antenna
Proximity key with push-button start
Auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink® and compass
Power tilt-and-slide sunroof
Touch-screen Navigation system
Fully automatic temperature control

GENESIS COUPE 3.8 R-SPEC

3.8 R-Spec equipment includes:

3.8-liter DOHC V6 engine with DCVVT delivering 306 hp and a top speed of 149 mph six-speed close-ratio manual transmission
19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels with staggered-width high-performance summer-compound Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires (225/40YR19 front, 245/40YR19 rear)
Brembo® braking system with 13.4-inch ventilated front rotors, 42mm four-piston fixed front calipers (red), 13.0-inch ventilated rear rotors, 32mm+28mm four-piston fixed rear calipers (red)
Track-tuned suspension (higher-rate coil springs, higher-control shock absorbers, 25mm front stabilizer bar, 22mm rear stabilizer bar, front strut brace)
Torsen-type limited-slip differential
Black leather bolsters with red cloth insert seats
R-Spec badge
Front camber adjustment bolt (Camber bolts included but not installed. Dealer installation of the camber bolts is optional at the customer’s discretion)
Electronic Stability Control (ESC) with Traction Control System (TCS)
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
Four-wheel disc brakes with Brake Assist
Six airbags: Advanced dual front airbags with Occupant Classification System (OCS), front seat-mounted side-impact airbags, and roof-mounted side-curtain airbags
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Active front head restraints
Remote keyless entry system
Multi-information display (MID)
Fog Lights
Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter
AM/FM/XM®/CD/MP3 audio system
iPod®/USB and MP3 auxiliary input jacks
Steering-wheel-mounted audio controls
Bluetooth® hands-free phone system
Manual air conditioning with outside temperature display
Trip computer
Power windows with auto-down/up
Power Door Locks and Outside mirrors
To reduce cost, weight, and complexity, the R-Spec eliminates some non-essential convenience equipment such as automatic headlights, cruise control and some chrome/metalgrain interior accents
Note: Automatic transmission not available with R-Spec

GENESIS COUPE 3.8 GRAND TOURING: REFINED PERFORMANCE WITH PREMIUM FEATURES

In addition to 3.8 R-Spec equipment, the 3.8 Grand Touring adds or substitutes:

ZF® 6-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted paddle-shift SHIFTRONIC® controls
18-inch Euroflange alloy wheels with staggered Bridgestone Potenza RE92A tires (225/45VR18 front, 245/45VR18 rear)
12.6-inch ventilated front rotors with 60mm single piston floating caliper
12.4-inch solid rear rotors with 43mm single piston floating caliper
Sport-tuned MacPherson strut dual-link front suspension and five-link rear independent suspension, 24mm front stabilizer bar, 19mm rear stabilizer bar
Front strut brace
Fully automatic temperature control
Premium door sill plates
Chrome front fascia accents
Power driver’s seat
Heated driver and passenger seat
Leather seating surfaces
360-watt AM/FM/XM/MP3/CD Infinity® premium audio system with 10 speakers including DVC subwoofer, eight-channel external amplifier, and diversity antenna
Touch-screen navigation system
Proximity key with push-button start
Automatic headlights
Cruise control
Auto-dimming mirror with HomeLink® and compass
Dark metalgrain and chrome interior accents
Heated mirrors with outside turn signal indicators
Backup warning system
Power tilt-and-slide sunroof
Note: Deletes track-tuned suspension, Brembo® braking system, Torsen limited-slip differential, camber adjustment bolts, and R-Spec badge

GENESIS COUPE 3.8 TRACK: ULTIMATE PERFORMANCE

The factory-tuned 3.8 Track model deletes the backup warning system and chrome front fascia accents from the Grand Touring model, and adds or substitutes:

Black leather seating surfaces
19-inch gunmetal finish alloy wheels with staggered high-performance summer-compound Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires (225/40YR19 front, 245/40YR19 rear)
Brembo® braking system with 13.4-inch ventilated front rotors, 42mm four-piston fixed front calipers (red), 13.0-inch ventilated rear rotors, 32mm+28mm four piston fixed rear calipers (red)
Track-tuned suspension (higher-rate coil springs, higher-control shock absorbers, 25mm front stabilizer bar, 22mm rear stabilizer bar, front strut brace)
Torsen limited-slip differential
Aluminum pedals
Xenon HID headlamps
Aero wipers
Rear spoiler
Black-out front lower fascia
Lightweight temporary spare with aluminum wheel (T135/80D18)

Genesis Coupe is available in eight exterior colors:

Karussell White
Bathurst Black
Silverstone
Nordschleife Gray
Acqua Minerale Blue
Tsukuba Red
Mirabeau Blue
Interlagos Yellow

Genesis Coupe features four different interior themes:

Black environment, premium black cloth seats (2.0T, 2.0T Premium)
Black environment, black leather-bolstered seats with high-friction red cloth insert (2.0T R-Spec, 3.8 R-Spec)
Black environment, black leather seats (3.8 Track)
Black environment, saddle brown or black leather seats (3.8 Grand Touring)

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Thursday, August 04, 2011 11:32 AM
((Turbo))KbRedBalt wrote:The internals on the gensis are terrible I think you have to upgrade after you about 250whp, nice but gutless

Not true.

You can get 300whp on stock motor.

Just a tune will get you around 225whp. Then add supporting mods.

I would never get a V6 mustang, or Camaro over this car. Now a 350z, yeah would be a close race. I really like the 350z. If it is a HR 350z at least.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search