Ecotec powered drift AE86!? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec powered drift AE86!?
Friday, August 05, 2011 12:10 AM
So my buddy likes to go through all these phases (his 2nd to last phase got me into riding crotch rockets, awesome!) and he is currently in a drift phase. He finally got himself an FC with an LS1 in there (RX-7 with a Corvette engine ). So now I am wondering what I can get. I've look through all the common drift cars, but they are either COMMON (240SX), taken (RX-7), or pricey (Solstice/Sky). They only one that has really caught my attention is the AE86 like in Initial D. Nice balanced car with an engine with much potential. But my attachment to Ecotec's persist. So then I thought, why not swap in a supercharged Ecotec in there. Newer engine, large aftermarket support, and supercharged for instant throttle response.The thought of it just makes me drool, lol. Only issues I've found so far are fitment (small engine bay, the 4A seems smaller), a longetudial tranny that will mate with the Ecotec (If I remember correctly the Solstice/Sky tranny is in the rear end, hence the bothersome and room robbing hump in the trunk in those cars) and the driveshaft to follow, and mounting the engine. But still something I am highly thinking of doing.

Well just felt like sharing an idea and starting a convo. Any tips, comments are welcome. Just interested in what people think.

Re: Ecotec powered drift AE86!?
Friday, August 05, 2011 12:33 AM
I think it would be a lot of fabrication and such. I personally would swap a 4a-ge 20 valve jdm motor in there with a 4a-gze blower if you wanted to get it supercharged. Of course a little work to do this swap is also required, but it is a drop in motor though.

Friday, August 05, 2011 1:26 AM
Definately would require some fabtication. Lots of it, lol. Also I can't remember if the 4A rotates clock- or counter-clockwise. And after studying the engine bay, if the Ecotec where to be fit in there, it couldn't be supercharged via a M62 since the throttle body side would be flush, if not trying to smack through the firewall of the engine bay. Dream is not dead just yet.
Saturday, August 06, 2011 7:34 PM
Solstice trans should work, and you can find low mile ones all over. Look for people swapping ls motors in.

In fact IIRC the canyon, Colorado and H3 use similar transmissions, but not sure about the bell housing bolt pattern...

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Sunday, August 07, 2011 11:05 AM
Freelancer1988 wrote:I think it would be a lot of fabrication and such. I personally would swap a 4a-ge 20 valve jdm motor in there with a 4a-gze blower if you wanted to get it supercharged. Of course a little work to do this swap is also required, but it is a drop in motor though.

If you go with a real GTS AE86 then the 4AGZE motor isn't hard at all to swap in. Its basically same motor.

Sunday, August 07, 2011 12:25 PM
ExESIVEFIRE wrote:Solstice trans should work, and you can find low mile ones all over. Look for people swapping ls motors in.

In fact IIRC the canyon, Colorado and H3 use similar transmissions, but not sure about the bell housing bolt pattern...

Well doesn't the solstice/sky have a rear mounted transmission like the Corvette's?
Sunday, August 07, 2011 12:28 PM
Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:
Freelancer1988 wrote:I think it would be a lot of fabrication and such. I personally would swap a 4a-ge 20 valve jdm motor in there with a 4a-gze blower if you wanted to get it supercharged. Of course a little work to do this swap is also required, but it is a drop in motor though.

If you go with a real GTS AE86 then the 4AGZE motor isn't hard at all to swap in. Its basically same motor.

I know there is probably several more easy swaps with Toyota engines, but I really wanted to put a fun little Ecotec in there. Unfortunately it is not that little to fit...
Sunday, August 07, 2011 1:08 PM
i was gonna install the proto type s/c ive got on my eco into my vega , but its gonna be alot of work to make things fit , you would be better off doing a turbo eco , not to mention able to make alot more power

also the sol/sky trans is mounted to the motor not the rear end , so its a easy swap

Sunday, August 07, 2011 3:31 PM
You would be better running either an m62 (not the cobalt mp62) with the correct length snout and the intake section from the miata kit. Or a bigger blower with a custom setup.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, August 08, 2011 1:06 PM
So your friend goes from fad to fad and then you follow close behind. My advice on this? Get an original thought, then execute it.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, August 08, 2011 1:08 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:So your friend goes from fad to fad and then you follow close behind. My advice on this? Get an original thought, then execute it.

Shush you. I want to see him do it just to piss off the ricers. Heck part of me wants to buy a 240/rx7/supra/s2000/ae86/skyline and put an ecotec in it just to piss off the ricers.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Monday, August 08, 2011 2:02 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:So your friend goes from fad to fad and then you follow close behind. My advice on this? Get an original thought, then execute it.

my thoughts on this exactly...you bitch and complain that your blown cavy runs hot, and you cant fix it. im thinking you wouldnt be able to accomplish this swap anyways.

Monday, August 08, 2011 2:20 PM
Why re invent the wheel? The 4age motor is great, the ae86 is a great car. You said cheap and custom in the same phrase. Its not going to happen.

I want to build my is300 for cheap. So I think im going with a zr1 vette motor.

Threads like these are fail bc they're never executed.

Monday, August 08, 2011 7:49 PM
I'd just do up the 4AGE. Its a proven engine in a proven chassis. There's a reason these cars are popular beyond the whole Initial D thing.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Monday, August 08, 2011 8:44 PM

I really wouldn't call it a fad. It's just his phases and it's entertaining. I am beyond glad I learn to ride a bike and rode with him. As for original, I thought an 86 Corolla GTS with an 03 Ecotec was original, lol.

Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:

Shush you. I want to see him do it just to piss off the ricers. Heck part of me wants to buy a 240/rx7/supra/s2000/ae86/skyline and put an ecotec in it just to piss off the ricers.[/quote
Thanks for the support man, lol. Nothing better than butchering their dreams and ideals.

EvoFire wrote:

my thoughts on this exactly...you bitch and complain that your blown cavy runs hot, and you cant fix it. im thinking you wouldnt be able to accomplish this swap anyways.

I bitch because 1.) I hope someone has a solution, similar problem, good ideas, or just plain info, and 2.) if anyone else ever runs into this similar issue they may find my post helpful and with a solution to their issue.

Rabbit(AKA RedAssassin) wrote:Why re invent the wheel? The 4age motor is great, the ae86 is a great car. You said cheap and custom in the same phrase. Its not going to happen.

I want to build my is300 for cheap. So I think im going with a zr1 vette motor.

Threads like these are fail bc they're never executed.

What I meant by cheap was the fact that the car itself can be found under 5k working and the Ecotec engine is plentiful around junkyards, so the chassis is cheap to begin and the engine is cheap and easy to get if it blows. The 4AGE is a great motor, but like I stated earlier I want an Ecotec in there.

You may thing this thread will fail because you are expecting more out of this thread than what I am offering. This is just a feeler and a place for me to get ideas, advice, just comments in general.

Tony T Crams wrote:I'd just do up the 4AGE. Its a proven engine in a proven chassis. There's a reason these cars are popular beyond the whole Initial D thing.

Well said and that is the back-up plan.
Monday, August 08, 2011 9:14 PM
My hunt for a gts levin coupe starts soon. I just need to finish up my major project on the lexus.

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 8:49 AM
This thread was fail when the op couldn't do a google image search for a solstice trans..

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search