Saturn sl2 ac noise - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Saturn sl2 ac noise
Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:09 PM
So I just bought a 98 sl2 only problem is when AC is on at idle it makes a buzzing noise. AC off it doesnt do it. It is coming from the compressor when you raise the rpms to 1500 on up its quiet. You cant hear it in the car but can when your by the front of the car and you really hear it when its hood is up. Freon is good and other than the noise it works good. Does anyone have any idea. Thanks guys.

Re: Saturn sl2 ac noise
Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:38 PM
captain obvious says compressor is bad

Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:21 PM
Lol well any rhym to reason y it only makes noise when its at lower rpms
Sunday, August 14, 2011 9:50 PM
I 2nd the compressor may just have a bearing going bad,slowly.I'd start checking for cost for a new one from any of the auto stores to get a idea of real cost.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:07 PM
Its pretty expensive I may buy one at the junk yard is that a good idea. They are45 bucks there.
Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:40 PM
with used its very possible to get something in the same shape as the existing one

only other possible thing would be the belt tensioner , but im still with the compressor

Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:55 PM
The only thing i dont understand is why does the noise go away above 1500rpms? That doesn't make sense to me
Monday, August 15, 2011 1:08 AM
noises can come and go with rpm , and the load on the parts

Monday, August 15, 2011 8:10 AM
It could be low oil. If there isn't enough oil mixed with the freon it will make noises at low rpms. When you bring idle up its forcing more through faster. Quieting it down. Could also very well be the start of the clutch bearing going out.

Monday, August 15, 2011 8:49 AM
Even if you get a compressor from the junkyard, most junkyards give you a short warranty. So if you get one from the junkyard I would just get it on a day that you install it the day of or shortly after to see if you have to return it.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 7:27 PM
Well noise hasn't changed or got worse and still blows cold. It's not a metallic metal noise at all. It sounds like a cicada the bugs lol. It's strange. My mechanic friend said he would let it go until it got worse he doesn't think it's a bearing though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search