non-jbody tire size??? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
non-jbody tire size???
Friday, August 19, 2011 10:36 PM
not jbody relates so i figured i would put this here...
so i am looking @ purchasing a vehicle (type don't really matter) (60hp or so)

current overall tire size is 28" diameter on a 14" rim... (6"-7" wide rim i believe)

and after many hours of searching i yet to find any thing in a 14" rim that comes any taller then say a 225 - 70 /14

will the differance of 1.6" cause any long term harm to drive train and engine? (beings engine will need to spool higher to achieve the same speed? or would it be fine??? (any other options in a 14" tire that is larger then i have found (with out going to a 15"?) (yes it has a digital speedo with calibration)

Re: non-jbody tire size???
Saturday, August 20, 2011 8:16 AM
What is the width of the tire now? Reason I ask is a 225 would be hella bulged on a 6" wheel. Even on a 7" its going to bulge over. Now if this isn't the case and the rim is a bit wider then you could possibly go with a wider tire. A wider tire may open up more options to side wall height. Even if not a 245/70/40 is taller than a 225//70/14. Taking care of some of your overall diameter.

To answer your question 1.4" may throw off your speedometer slightly but I see it causing any real issues.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 8:17 AM
Sorry "don't" see it causing any real issues.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 4:36 PM
As long as all 4 are the same size and same tread depth you SHOULD be fine. I'm guessing this is a old vehicle and has bias tires on it. If so then you will want to watch the width of the tire because of the clearance at full lock you might get rubbing. The best idea is to get a hold of a tire store that deals with coker(sp?) Tires. Then they should have a tire that would fit perfect. Another shot is to google 28r14 bias and see what shows up.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:05 PM
stock tires are 10" wide

first off yeah the type of vehicle really doesn't matter but im sure it'll simplify any confusion

Its a 1000cc dune buggy im trying to make street legal

which requires dot approved tires, windshield washer (might need help on that later parts that would be easiest for the install), doors (that's easy)
Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:28 PM
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/HeightofTires.htm

according to that link 215 75 14 is 26.70" tall

your talking dune buggy?

or rail buggy?

if your speaking of the second one there is a tone of options. you can do the staggered option or all the same size. guy i use to work with had a rail and was running 225/70r15 all the way around. i bet if you check craigslist or things like that you could come up with other rim sizes that could give alot more tire options that 14" rims can.

also here is a forum that could give you alot more answers than we could. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/

sorry for bugging you on what it was. to me the vehicle really makes the decision on if something works. like you don't want to put passenger tires on 1 ton dually. lol

Saturday, August 20, 2011 10:33 PM
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

looks like this is the section pertaining to you. also they have a couple stickys that might be what your looking for. if i am not mistaken they are very helpful on there. according to another member from another site i am on. gl and have a blast.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:55 PM
thanks for that chart... (being serious) but told me what i already knew damn... thanks for the other link as well...

and what exactly is the differance between a dune buggy and a sand rail (as the registration says dune buggy)
Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:08 AM
most people recognize them as the same thing. but to others a dune buggy has the big fiberglass tube and fenders. rail buggies are basically that, a bunch of tube/pipe with the rear engine setup usually VW. they are also custom built and first started out from people making them out of metal tube hand railing. thats just what i've alway been told by the people that owned and were into them.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 7:51 AM
If stock tire is 10" wide why not run a 245 or 255? If you can find that in a 70 it will be taller.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search