New project: 87 Fiero GT - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New project: 87 Fiero GT
Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:45 PM
I have been wanting a fiero for a long time and finally bit the bullet and got one. Its an 87 GT with a 2.8/ auto. Has 150k on it and needs some love but its a solid start for where im headed with it.

This will be the journal of the slow progress on its 2.4 swap.

The plan is to run it off of my 01 Z's computer and harness and modify my turbo stuff to fit it. I will also be swapping in my getrag with TG lsd as well. Engine will have HO intake and cams, ported head, and my current turbo setup with a few tweaks.

Plans for the rest of the car include full poly suspension and cradle bushings. New ball joints, tie rods, and most likely lowering springs.

I will get some pics up tomorrow after work.

Thoughts and info welcome.

Re: New project: 87 Fiero GT
Saturday, August 27, 2011 10:17 PM
Needs 88' rear suspension, ASAP.

I have no signiture
Sunday, August 28, 2011 7:19 AM
i actually LOVE this idea. love the fiero bodies but hate their power plants. toughest part of the fiero is always the cooling system. good luck with bleeding . i've heard of quad4 swaps before, never seen a 2.4 in one. good luck with it, cant wait for updates!

Sunday, August 28, 2011 10:23 AM
Coulda got an MR2, but if the lesser performing wanna-be is your thing, so be it I kid I kid. MR2 owners are supposed to hate Fiero owners, right?

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Sunday, August 28, 2011 10:48 AM
Sounds like a fun project. I've been working on a Fiero with my friend for the last couple months completely redoing everything on the car.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 10:58 AM
Sounds awesome. I will def stay tuned.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 11:24 AM
My dad had one of these way back in the day and I've wanted one ever since. They've always intrigued me, and I loved that his had the speakers in the headrest! haha

Sunday, August 28, 2011 6:56 PM
Pics?

Sunday, August 28, 2011 7:31 PM
Yeah sorry no pics yet. I got tied up after work (well not literally) and didnt have time to get the camera out before dark. Pics tomorrow hopefully before work.

The car will have all the body panels pulled off soon so I can check out the "spaceframe" or unibody if you will. I know they tend to have some rust issues so I want to see what Im up against before I throw any more horsepower back there.

Thanks for looking.

Monday, August 29, 2011 10:11 AM
Love fieros. I like the mid car engine
Def gonna be listening in, down for some pics

Monday, August 29, 2011 10:16 AM
Always dreamed for a 1988 GT with a W41 in it.
Or a LD9 S/C in it will was my second option.
Take note on the solid front discs instead of being vented... yes, I know the physics, just interesting.
I'll be watching this one.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, August 29, 2011 10:48 AM
Dont let him fool you guys, its gona be an n/a eco hybrid with itb's!!!

Didnt waste any time did ya lol, def gona be following man Im sure its gona be badass

Monday, August 29, 2011 2:48 PM
Photobucket is being stupid, but I got a couple pictures to load at least.

The paint is rough but being mainly plastic the body is in good shape lol.

The mighty 2.8 which is good enough to move it around for the time being.

Monday, August 29, 2011 3:13 PM
Monday, August 29, 2011 3:22 PM
Looks good. also if looking for some hard to find parts check out Rodney Dickman He has a ton of stuff.

Here is a link to my friends build on our local car club page: clicky We have been working on it for nearly a year, and it is finally starting to come together.

Monday, August 29, 2011 7:48 PM
omgs burn those z26 wheels immediately!

Monday, August 29, 2011 8:37 PM
Thanks for the links, I have been to a lot of those in my searches lately.
JL mr2s win stock for stock, nothing I own stays stock, plus I think fieros look better anyway.

88 cradle is a possibilty if I can find one for a decent price.

Not a chance on the eco Mike your the ld9 traitor not me...

z26 wheels are going in favor of a set of 95-99 z24 wheels. Just no need to swap them yet while its just hanging out in my back yard.

I did get the entire front end off the car and started on the driver side rear, should be all stripped down to nothing soon enough for a good clean and maybe a little patchwork if need be. The interior is also basically getting stripped to nothing and starting fresh too.

Monday, August 29, 2011 9:07 PM
I'm just busting your balls man. I'll be watching for what you do to it, for sure! Just an MR2 owner giving a Fiero owner some crap. BUT, I soooo disagree on the looks statement

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:25 AM
never was a fan of these cars but good luck on the project

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:14 PM
Ill take the Beretta blades off of your hands.

If you want any help sometime get ahold of me. I havent got my hands dirty working on a car in awhile. Haha.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:21 PM
Thanks Brian, and z26 wheels are definitely for sale or trade... wouldnt mind another set of 95-99 z wheels Need some for my drag radials.

Once I get a few more projects taken care of in the driveway I will have more progress and pics. Right now the front end panels are off and all the lower drivers side. Working on getting the rear panels pulled off in the next couple days and it will be ready for metal repair if need be.

Thursday, September 01, 2011 1:07 PM
I could be wrong but the LD9 runs incredibly hot and burns through a lot of oil in just the Z24 therefore causing spun bearings & rod knock and then engine failure. And the Fieros were from what I remember infamous for having the worst air flow/engine cooling setup, and were known for overheating. I'm not so sure putting in a motor known for running too hot in a car known for not being to good at motor cooling is such a great idea.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Thursday, September 01, 2011 2:58 PM
mine does not run hot or burn a drop of oil. and im sure he is going to have to build a new intake setup so i dont see it being a problem
Thursday, September 01, 2011 3:51 PM
proper airflow across the motor is not a quick simple "new intake" kind of fix. Add in that it's a mid engine and you complicate it even more. You can't just add scoops on top and call it good. You gotta figure air flow in that car(if it's set up correctly, like an MR2), is supposed to come from UNDER the car and flow up and OUT of the top vents of the engine covers. You find an easy way to increase that air flow. Then add in regular engine cooling being supplied from a radiator at the front of the car, routing the coolant through long pipes from the front all the way to the back somewhere under the car, close to the road(heat induction), then into the engine and the return line doing that same long trip to the back. THEN add in the tiny holes in the front of the Fiero allowing minimal air to even pass through the radiator.

So no, "he is going to have to build a new intake setup" is not how simple it is.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, September 01, 2011 6:29 PM
Thanks for the concern jooky but my ld9s have done fine for temperature and oil consumption.

As for the fieros cooling system I am getting rid of the ac so the condenser will be out of the way of the radiator for more air. I am also making a hood scoop to allow air to flow through the radiator and out through the top. There will be air deflectors under the car to help guide the air into the bay and a scoop on the decklid to get it out.

This is definitely not my first custom car or ld9 build for that matter, just my first time with a fiero. I have been doing a lot of research on them and I am confident this motor and car combo will be an awesome match.

On another note I got most of the interior out and quite a few body panels off. If I have time to mess with it tomorrow I will try to snap some progress pics.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search