Oh what A day. Parts new and broken (PICS) - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Oh what A day. Parts new and broken (PICS)
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:23 PM
Welp.. went up to SMG Motoring today due to my car hitting WOT shuddering and shutting off. No CELs, Nothing on the interceptor, no limp mode, no inside view of motor nothing.
Going up there I also needed new strut mounts and a rear caliper thats been hanging up.
Was also going to get my Powell hooks installed.

So we get up there we take it for a test drive to see if we could A either get the motor to do the previous incident again, or B notice any lingering effects from it the other day. She was rather sluggy but other than that broiled off the tires in second gear. So we get her back and get her on the lift

First thing we want to do is check out what went wrong with the motor and why it was doing what it did. What to do? Pull the plugs....

They are in reverse order of how they came out. Broken one was really cylender 3. Check inside with a flash light, top of the piston is fine, wall is unscored. Looks to have exited rather quickly after breaking off thank god.

New plugs in. 2 steps colder, gapped. Done.

Next we installed towhooks. Forgot to grab a picture of the rear.

Then we got Pizza ... sorry no pictures, it didnt last long lol.

Then we went onto installing strut mounts. On the way out, the passenger decided to literally fall apart in our hands. SOOOOOO I wanted to order powergrids but for a quick fix and a car to drive home we got a set of MOOGS. Beefier than stock, should be fine for now.

While im under there im like wtf is leaking..... oh the axle seals are shot. Awesome, something else to fix. AND the passenger CAB is SHOT. Looks like Amy Whinehouse. Dead. Also I got a code starting yesterday, and after driving around a bit to check strut mounts we noticed the temperature never got up past 150*. So I also need a new thermostat. It was like 2 steps forward, and three back.

But big thanks to Fred Simmons at SMG for the wrenching, and help.
Priorities are going to be axle seals and thermostat asap, caliper and whatever else is left can be later on as the money comes in.

Cliffnotes.

Went up to install tow hooks, and strut mounts, and fix rear caliper
Ended up noticing axle seals leaking, broke swaybar endlinks, and noticied i need a new thermostat
Installed hooks, new strut mounts, and replaced bad swaybar endlinks with MOOG units, getting axle seals and thermostat done asap. rear caliper can wait along with CABs.

Re: Oh what A day. Parts new and broken (PICS)
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 5:55 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, THAT SUCKS MAN!!! I still like your trunk. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 7:28 PM
That sucks but atleast you know what happened now. haha.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 4:50 AM
Freelancer1988 wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, THAT SUCKS MAN!!! I still like your trunk. Hope it gets fixed soon.

thanks I do too! I might just throw it all on the credit card to get it done with.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 4:50 AM
GTmatters wrote:That sucks but atleast you know what happened now. haha.

yeah, was a little scarey the other day, I honestly thought the motor saw the bright light in the sky

Thursday, September 08, 2011 8:22 AM
Rough luck for sure.

I don't wanna be a debby downer...but the ground straps seldom just snap off by themselves.....I don't know how well you looked into that cylinder...but I wouldn't be surprised if part of your ringland is no longer there on piston #3.

Did you do a compression test or leak down test? Or even bore scope that cylinder?

Thursday, September 08, 2011 8:56 AM
newt wrote:Rough luck for sure.

I don't wanna be a debby downer...but the ground straps seldom just snap off by themselves.....I don't know how well you looked into that cylinder...but I wouldn't be surprised if part of your ringland is no longer there on piston #3.

Did you do a compression test or leak down test? Or even bore scope that cylinder?

I was just going to say I wouldn't be so quick to write this off. I'd at least do a compression test and make sure you are holding the right compression.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 10:33 AM
All I can think of is the GM commercial from a few years ago where a Cobalt drove past the camera while someone announces "Say yes to Quality!".

Sucks that you had to deal with all that @!#$ though. Hope all this gets fixed and running smooth again. On the plus side, I am a fan of the tow hook. Can't say for the rear because I haven't seen it, but I assume it looks good.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Thursday, September 08, 2011 11:13 AM
we simply looked in as best we could with a special light. fred said everything looked ok, i trust his word, if compression is off then it is off, if i have to rebuild motor, i will sleeve it, bore it, custom pistons and stroke it to a 2.3 litre. That bridge will be crossed when it gets there. for now it runs, and drives fine other than few things that need to be done.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 12:24 PM
I was thinking ...... upgraded parts time! Thing is I bet your not easy on it nor would I be. So failure is always in the future.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 1:22 PM
Nah I wont lie I do drive it hard. Not ALL THE TIME EVERYWHERE, but when its time I do my thing and shes usually right there to accept all of it. I do however take care of it at the same time, letting it warm up before i even leave, go through all the gears easily first before i start banging them at WOT no lift shifting etc etc. I do anticipate things breaking like this with that style of thought being applied to driving I try and think of what will break, and what has broken for people and ugprade the part before i have the accident. Unfortunitely last winter the axles and clutch beat me to the punch.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:32 PM
everythings fixed. things performed today were

knock out stock cabs install powell units
thermostat change to new one. old one was SHOT
changed axle seals as drivers side was leaking
fixed boost leak - could have been cause of all my problems

burned first gear and spun half of second and chriped third gear like a boss

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:01 PM
Only means you have @!#$ty tires haha
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:07 PM
my bridgestone potenza pole positions did the same....

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:45 PM
What's your mods? Also nice car but those wheels kill the look. Black with an nice red lip will look sweet
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 8:47 PM
With red ss inlays
Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:45 AM
had black rims previously, everyone does black, thinking all white wheels.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search