how cold is your ac - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how cold is your ac
Friday, September 09, 2011 5:12 PM
I never tested my cavalier ac but I just replaced compressor on my 98 Saturn sl2 and I'm getting on high 38 degrees from the vents. I was wondering how other cars compare. I just used a meat thermometer . And it of course is using 134 let me know what you guys are getting outta your vents. And what you did if anything to get it super cold. Thanks guys

Re: how cold is your ac
Friday, September 09, 2011 5:53 PM
29-38* when driving. I have an infrared thermometer I used to temp it. (38 when it was like 100* and humid)

I have an electric fan on my radiator instead of the belt driven fan.

The compressor is hard wired to an on-off switch cause the hvac panel shorted out so the compressor keeps running regardless of gas pressure.

It is also a bit "over" charged cause the rad fan pulls so much heat out.

The vent system is permanently routed to recirc.
'96 gmc Sierra v6 pickup. R-134a I got in a can at Walmart 2 years ago and it hasn't leaked yet.

It gets cold to the point I gotta shut it off . It's totally "hodge podge" but it's my free beater truck and the cold air is the best thing about it. The evap coils freeze up when its cooling down on the inside from humidity so I manually cycle the compressor a few times and it's good to go.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, September 10, 2011 6:52 AM
to my understanding and I could be wrong but your a/c in your vehicle only cools the outside temp by approx 20 degrees. For example if it is 90 degrees outside the coldest air would be coming out of the vents is 70 degrees. The colder the temp outside the colder your a/c.
Saturday, September 10, 2011 9:51 AM
it's just my opinion but new cars don't seem to cool as fast or as much as my old 1985 Olds Cutlass with the R12.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 10:45 AM
Quote:

to my understanding and I could be wrong but your a/c in your vehicle only cools the outside temp by approx 20 degrees. For example if it is 90 degrees outside the coldest air would be coming out of the vents is 70 degrees. The colder the temp outside the colder your a/c.

I was told this too, but my evidence proves otherwise. It gets to the point where all the windows in the pickup are fogged when its humid out.

Granted, its a regular cab pickup on permanent recirc, so its not really cooling much space. Im sure that helps a lot.

Quote:

it's just my opinion but new cars don't seem to cool as fast or as much as my old 1985 Olds Cutlass with the R12.

Agreed. I had an '89 Astro van with r12, it was like ICE. I miss that van acutally.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, September 10, 2011 12:52 PM
zero wrote:it's just my opinion but new cars don't seem to cool as fast or as much as my old 1985 Olds Cutlass with the R12.

My 02 gets cold as @!#$ and fast. I haven't had an issue at all.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 1:16 PM
My 02 Z24 gets freezing cold. Put it on re-circulate and it's literally sometimes too cold. I have to say though, my car has like no power when I have the A/C on, so I usually only use it on the highway.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 1:35 PM
I agree the older cars with r12 did get colder. Riding in my grandpas old truck would give you a sore throat with the ac on high. My ac has now gotten to 36 degrees 30 mile drive and my heater gets to 170 that seem pretty good to me lol
Monday, September 12, 2011 9:09 PM
I can't turn mine on, because it clicks and revs my engine randomly. Sometimes it just freaks out. and I get *click, rev, click, rev* over and over. Insufferable, really.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search