GM Service Problems - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM Service Problems
Friday, September 23, 2011 6:38 AM
This is for my 2007 Cobalt, i've had handfuls upon handfuls of problems with this car since new. CV Joints, Bushings, Ball Joints, Sway Bar Endlinks, Intermediate Shaft, EVAP System, and the list goes on and on.
I'm living in Kalamazoo for college year round and have to take it to a dealership that has done me wrong in the past. It needed the Intermediate Steering Shaft replaced, and they always gave me the typical, "it's a normal sound, no problem at all". Yet I take it home to a dealer I worked at for 2 years, and yup sure enough, the shaft is shot and not getting lubricated.

Well, recently, as of today I dropped the car off because the timing chain tensioner is failing, causing a loud rattle/smack on start up. I took it there last year for the same problem, "cannot duplicate issue". Now it's getting worse, I let them keep it overnight for a cold start up, they had every tech and the service manager listen to it. I still got the typical response, "nothing is wrong" I even mentioned that there is a TSB for this on the ecotec model motors, but they ignored me each time I tried pointing it out.

Is anyone able to get the service report on this car for me if I provide the VIN?
What's the next step, I can't take the car home if the timing chain/guides/gears/tensioner need to be replaced because I need the car for daily driving. Any advice on what to do with it? I've thought about just fixing the car myself, but why should I if the warranty is there for a reason.

Thanks

Re: GM Service Problems
Friday, September 23, 2011 7:28 AM
If the car is under warranty I would make them do it. Honestly it sounds like the dealer itself is the problem. I know of many people that have had issues with one dealer yet none at all at a different dealer. If there is a different local dealer to where you are staying I would go there and try them out. Kalamazoo isn't tiny there should be more then one Chevy dealership in a somewhat close distance.

Friday, September 23, 2011 7:41 AM
Copter wrote:If the car is under warranty I would make them do it. Honestly it sounds like the dealer itself is the problem. I know of many people that have had issues with one dealer yet none at all at a different dealer. If there is a different local dealer to where you are staying I would go there and try them out. Kalamazoo isn't tiny there should be more then one Chevy dealership in a somewhat close distance.

If not a Chevy one then another GM dealer, just because it's a chevy doesn't mean you have to get warranty work done @ only Chevy Dealerships.

Friday, September 23, 2011 8:10 AM
Going to try another one I guess, It just sucks because I NEED the car to drive, and if I get a loaner then I will have to buy another parking pass so there goes 15 dollars a week if they gotta pull the motor.

Friday, September 23, 2011 8:21 AM
Spike J wrote:
Copter wrote:If the car is under warranty I would make them do it. Honestly it sounds like the dealer itself is the problem. I know of many people that have had issues with one dealer yet none at all at a different dealer. If there is a different local dealer to where you are staying I would go there and try them out. Kalamazoo isn't tiny there should be more then one Chevy dealership in a somewhat close distance.

If not a Chevy one then another GM dealer, just because it's a chevy doesn't mean you have to get warranty work done @ only Chevy Dealerships.

I think when it comes to warranty work, you have to take it to the dealer that caters to the same car you drive--in this case, he would have to take it to a Chevy dealer. If it is a repair in which you pay for, you can take it to any GM dealer. Maybe someone can chime in on any of this to confirm.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:31 AM
If anyone knows that would be great to hear...
Again, if anyone can lookup the service record of this car for me that would be great. I've had so much work for it, I don't even remember what has been done in the earlier stages, and I want to see if anything was related, doubtful though.

They told me if I continue to change the oil, I SHOULD be fine HAHAHA. I can't wait until the motor jumps timing and detonates.

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:48 AM
The answer to that isn't helpful.

Sometimes yes and sometimes no it depends on the situation and the dealership. So you would really need to call, but you are always okay if it is the same make dealer that's why I suggested that.

This is for sure as my brother worked/s at two different Chevrolet dealers that operated different ways and family of mine that were in different situations had different situations. Bottom line you have to call and check dealer by dealer.

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:53 AM
I've had several Chevy dealers work on my Pontiac's under warranty. If your luck is like mine your motor won't blow until after warranty. I would definitely try another dealer.

Labrat
Friday, September 23, 2011 10:22 AM
call gm customer service line and tell em your issue and the dealer.

we have people do it all the time, and if they still mess you around then gm will give em a kick in the butt.

we have customers do it everynow and then
Friday, September 23, 2011 11:03 AM
Labrat wrote:I've had several Chevy dealers work on my Pontiac's under warranty. If your luck is like mine your motor won't blow until after warranty. I would definitely try another dealer.

That's different. Hummer, Saturn, Pontiac, and even Geo can be taken to any GM dealer as three of those four nameplates dealer do not exist and they may still be under the warranty.
But like others suggested, call GM HQ on this.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, September 23, 2011 11:11 AM
I think I'm going to give back a bad survery and complain to GM. AS for the issue, i might just do the tensioner myself, sick of waiting on a dealer, when I can do the job in a half hour or less.

Friday, September 23, 2011 3:08 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
Spike J wrote:

I think when it comes to warranty work, you have to take it to the dealer that caters to the same car you drive--in this case, he would have to take it to a Chevy dealer. If it is a repair in which you pay for, you can take it to any GM dealer. Maybe someone can chime in on any of this to confirm.

im not so sure about that. thew dealership i work for was used to be gm and it isn't now. We still get a lot of gm's but well send all gm warranty work to a Pontiac, Buick, GMC dealership. But it may be different in the US
Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:22 AM
I can do a VIN inquiry.
Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:08 PM
Sent you a PM Frank.

Is it just the fact that they don't want to put the time into the car to repair it? How can they not hear the problem!? Every time I've taken a car to them they tell me it is normal and all their cars on the lot sound the same...BS, if that was the story I would NEVER buy a car from them.
I noticed tonight when I sit at a drive thru, I can actually hear the timing chain ticking/slapping, or if I take off in 2nd gear from a stop, or put it in 5th at about 35 you can hear it much much more. So it seems like it is HORRID on startup, audible on idle, and loud in low rpms...

Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:58 PM
Honestly if thou have had that many repairs done to it I would check in to the "lemon law" not sire how it falls up there but it protects the owner from a car that is constantly in need of repairs. Making the dealer purchase the vehicle back. Like I said there is stipulation and might very upon state.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:06 AM
Good idea, I will be looking into that. I want to get rid of this car and get another sedan if I can...

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:25 AM
Monday, September 26, 2011 5:04 AM
Going to try my dealer at home and see if they can send a request to the dealer down here to repair it...until then, I kinda hope the chain snaps or jumps timing.

Monday, September 26, 2011 12:07 PM
Called Chevrolet, sent to another dealer. I am going to bring the Service Bulletin with me, they sounded more understanding that the current dealership I was working with. Going to take it in Friday and sit around until I can start it up and show them the sound it makes.
For future reference if anyone has a timing chain noise in a 2006-2007 Ecotec
The Service Bulletin is AIP3252

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:05 PM
What bulletin is that I'm looking it up on the SI cant find it usually GM's TSB's are either a #PIPXXX or #XX-XX-XX-XXX. Of course the X's are replaced with numbers and letters. I only see 2 PIs for timing chain and they are only due to previous repairs. I would really like to see the one you have.
Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:12 PM

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:23 PM
Come to find out, GM took that TSB down. Must be too afraid how much it will cost them....more reasons to hate the GM line of products.
I plan to take the bulletin with me Friday and raise a fit if they say it is normal. The car has made this sound since 11,000 miles, and has gotten WAYYY worse now that it has 54,000 miles. It is obvious the chain is stretched and nearing the point of breaking...

Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:48 AM
Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:45 PM
Gm does not pull down TSBs to the best of my knowledge, and i have been working in dealerships for 6 years. Again I do not recognize the AIP number i have never seen one with that.
Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:26 PM
I've been reading more and more about that TSB and everyone is saying it has been dropped, but many are still having the same issue as me...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search