GM Service Problems - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: GM Service Problems
Friday, September 30, 2011 4:57 AM
Well as long as you have your old repair or ders where you had been complaining about this concern, you have an good argument. I know that what we do when we replace or repair something under warranty even though the have been past warranty by time or mil age. but if i'm not mistaken cobalts had a 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. I was talking to the service manager here and he said he wouldn't mind doing the repair if we get you as a customer, but i don't think driving all the wary over here would be worth it loll. I hope the dealer your going to today works out for you. I know dealers always like more and new customers, especially when there former customers of competing dealers.

Friday, September 30, 2011 7:42 AM
Just got back from the other dealer, talked to a master mechanic for quite a while. He said it sounds more so on the outside of the motor, so more than likely it is the Belt Tensioner, and GM used the wrong size belt on these motors for the 2006-2007 years, so he gave me all the part numbers for the 2nd gen belt and tensioner. It is $128 dollars in parts. My GMPP warranty I bought has a $200 dollar deductible....
Why couldn't this be covered by the Powertrain instead? They told me they have to use the warranty I bought first, is that even right?

Friday, September 30, 2011 2:51 PM
I'm not positive but that sounds right.

Friday, September 30, 2011 3:48 PM
Just another way for an auto maker to nickel and dime the little guy to death.
Going to try to fight it with Chevrolet, powertrain should cover it. Had I not bought a warranty at all, then the powertrain should have covered it, so I call BS on GM

Friday, September 30, 2011 4:34 PM
I changed my LSJ's tensioner in less than 5 minutes, stupid simple, used the oil filter socket. Part might of been $60 IIRC?

I know of Denooyer, and Gilmore in K'zoo.

Friday, September 30, 2011 4:37 PM
I took it to John Tapper in kzoo, and he knew what was wrong right away, and how obvious it was.
I'm not putting money into a car that GM screwed up on and warranty covers it, not my baby to tend to yet, warranty is there for a reason and why we pay so much for these scrap pile cars.

Friday, September 30, 2011 4:47 PM
powertrain covers engine, transmission, ecm, axles, and such. Not outside of engine. Like I said if you have your old repair orders where you complained about the noise you have a good case and I would contact the area GM warranty rep.
Friday, September 30, 2011 7:34 PM
Andy I understand your pain. But I know those parts fall into the wear category. Like if you continue to run your battery dead it will ruin the battery. Its stated that it is not their fault for failure. The only argument you might have is the hastle of being ran around by multiple dealers and that they should replace it in good faith to keep you as a customer/owner of gm. Another idea if they will no longer help or give you any help is go to the local parts store and buy the part to replace it. Hopefully this helps and GL.

Friday, September 30, 2011 7:37 PM
Going to try to fight it because of the run around. Otherwise I already planned on buying the cheapest crap I can on rock auto to fix it and hopefully sell this car, been a problem child since day one.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 10:01 AM
UPDATE:
Replaced the belt tensioner and a new belt on the motor today.

Still made the sound with the belt off, and still made the sound once I replaced everything. Time to shove this car right up my dealers butt. Timing chain is shot for sure, tired of getting thrown around.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 1:15 PM
Stories like these are making it really difficult for me to purchase a new GM again. Just wonder if the latest GMs (post-bankrupt) are just as bad/worse or better than the ones pre-bankrupt GM.
Looked thoroughly on any TSBs on this? Called GM HQ on this? Maybe get a lawyer on this too?

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Sunday, October 16, 2011 1:36 PM
Yeah printed off that old TSB and brought it to the dealer last time. I guess it rules out the belt tesioner...so I can go back and try again. I don't want to get a lawsuit going, I have a feeling it would fall back on me even though the car has been noisy since 11,000 miles.
1. Went in at about 11-14,000 for the sound
Diagnosed as Rattling heat shield
2. Went in at about 33,000
Diagnosed as nothing, probably clutch chatter
3. Most recent 54,000 Miles
Serpentine Belt Tensioner

NOTHING has changed....I won't be buying a new gm product ever again...
Kinda of clueless what to do to prove what is wrong. I might get an oil sample and send it in if that's what it takes to show the timing chain is wearing away...

Monday, October 17, 2011 4:33 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Stories like these are making it really difficult for me to purchase a new GM again. Just wonder if the latest GMs (post-bankrupt) are just as bad/worse or better than the ones pre-bankrupt GM.

It's a 2007 Cobalt not a new one or a post GM bankruptcy one.
The one big problem with GM is they kept alot of @!#$ty dealers that dole out @!#$ty service that only think of short term profit instead of long term repeat customers. You'll get this problem with every automaker as alot of people have found out with the local Hyundai/Kia dealership when they try to get service work done.

Slocav the only advice I can offer is take it to 3 different mechanics that you or family/friends trust and if 2 of them come up with the same problem deal with GM direct.

Monday, October 17, 2011 4:55 AM
I'm just running into time restraints and it's causing problems with getting the car diagnosed. The dealers won't take my word for what is going on with the vehicle. And I'm afraid that if they do diagnose it as the timing chain tensioner, that's all they will replace, and over looked the gears, guides, and chain itself.
I think I will take the car to the dealer I previously worked at and have all the guys there listen for it, knowing I can trust them. Worse comes to worse I'll get the GM Service Rep for my region out here...

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:43 AM
Spike J wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Stories like these are making it really difficult for me to purchase a new GM again. Just wonder if the latest GMs (post-bankrupt) are just as bad/worse or better than the ones pre-bankrupt GM.

It's a 2007 Cobalt not a new one or a post GM bankruptcy one.
The one big problem with GM is they kept alot of @!#$ty dealers that dole out @!#$ty service that only think of short term profit instead of long term repeat customers. You'll get this problem with every automaker as alot of people have found out with the local Hyundai/Kia dealership when they try to get service work done.

Slocav the only advice I can offer is take it to 3 different mechanics that you or family/friends trust and if 2 of them come up with the same problem deal with GM direct.

I'm aware that his is a pre bankrupt era GM, my question was, is the new GM (post-bankrupt) just as bad/worse or better than the ones pre-bankrupt GM? i guess to new to tell, yet.
As for the dealers, IMO and expiriance it all depends on the service area, advisors, managers, and dealers. I have had warranty work done with little or no reisitance with GM, but then again it was a different era. Hyundai/ Kia, I've heard split complains and praise on the service, but again to many varibles as for not to do the repairs.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search