New Car Ideas? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New Car Ideas?
Monday, September 26, 2011 7:58 PM
Ok as a lot of you guys know now... I wrecked my car. 9.9 chances/10, it is totaled. I need a car obviously and I don't want to get ahead of myself but I DO need to think about car ideas considering I just got a new job(btw)(which is awesome news btw... haha...)

I just need to make the decision of what I want to do. I was paying about 400 dollars a month for everything for the slobalt. I just need to think if I want to get another car loan or if I just want to get an older car and pay it off and be done with it.

Heres my 3 different options I am thinking of:

1) Get a nicer, faster car and live with the insurance and payment. If I were to do this I would be looking at another SS, preferably TC. 350z. I have also been looking at RX8s. I can find them for 11k with only 40k miles on them and in excelent shape. I also found a few older WRXs(not STis of course but whatever) for good prices. I would also consider a SRT4 or something for the right price. I could take my insurance money(assuming I get one) and get a $8-10k dollar loan.

2) Get a nicer, newer, slower car with a lower car payment and lower insurance but STILL have a loan or payment. I would look at an older Mazda 3/6..... umm.... I dunno what else to be honest. Don't know if I could live with a base model Cobalt.. it would just make me sick I think. Lol.

3) Which is sounding more and more appealing would be buy an older nicer car for about 3k or whatever I get with insurance money. I was thinking 2nd/3rd gen eclipse, integra, maybe another Z24/GT J?, I dunno.

I am not 100% about any of this yet and is why I am posting here. A lot of this depends on how much I get for insurance money of course. My SS is a 06 with about 54k miles on it and I only owe about $8k on it. Soooo... yeah. Input would be much appreciated. If none of you knew I wrecked my car, go to my update thread to see my sadness. lol.

Re: New Car Ideas?
Monday, September 26, 2011 10:05 PM
Well personally I'd get another j. Cheap to own, your familiar with them and you could pay outright or pay it off quick. Save the cash and get a toy on the side keep the j for dd.

Monday, September 26, 2011 10:14 PM
Get a civic!

Monday, September 26, 2011 11:11 PM
02_redbadged wrote:Get a civic!

I would be the biggest hypocrit if I got one.. but if I could find one that wasn't beat on and riced out... I would consider it if it were CHEAP. I would much rather have a tegy though.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:37 AM
nothing wrong with hondas.....just dont pay attention to the badly modded ones as a representation. i know myself when im finally done with the cavy if that ever happens my next project car will be a import of some sort

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:38 AM
Yeah i know but they are a rare find around here. I would like to find something with a cheaper aftermarket support. That is why if I were to buy a J it would be prefered to be a Z over a GT. I wouldn't even mind getting a hatchback.. I don't know why but within the past two years I have gotten a soft spot for hatchs. haha. If anyone lives kinda close and sees something in the classifieds, post it! I would appreciate it.

I am looking on pennswoods.net and craigslist. Anyone know any other good sites?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:59 AM
i know where you can get a sti that is put together very well for around 20k or a evo around that same price. but i am betting that is out of your range tho. lol if i was you i would look into the older wrx they are starting to come down in price.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:04 AM
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:57 AM
what are you looking for in this new car? plan on keeping it for the next 5 years? do you need a back seat? S2000?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:21 PM
GTmatters wrote:http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1348739 Check that out.

i would not. i think you could find a better deal than that. 05 legacy gt might interest you also.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:23 PM
I second the S2k idea

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:42 PM
Gtp or gto

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:56 PM
MRT- The legacy GTs boosted? I LOVE legacies and like the base models much better than the base model Imprezas. Plus I don't know where you are looking at cars to find a better deal than that haha. THOUGH its not an 09, it is still nice as hell for the price.

iGTP- If i get a loan I would like to keep the car for atleast 4 or 5 years, if not, I have no clue. If I don't get a loan I would just like to get the best deal possible. I DO on the other hand pretty much require a 5 speed and would prefer a decent aftermarket support. But If I find the right deal.... who knows.

iGTP & 01cav- I never even thought about an S2k. The fact of it being my only car and it being a 2 seater would suck... but I will def keep my eye out for a good deal. I would like to get a truck or SUV as a winter beater and it could be my car if I ever need something with more than 2 seats.

Carbon- Again, I will look out for them but they are both rare around here. :/

UPDATE on the cobalt: It is totaled. Surprise surprise. The LITERAL surprise is that I was qouted that it is worth $13,301.71. And owing $8,147.16(yes I only paid not even $900 on the car yet), after my deductible I will be getting a check for around $4,600. Awesome news actually kinda made my day. So NOW what are the ideas? Plus I still have my sunfire which is probably worth $750 or if I parted it out $1-1.3k.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:10 PM
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:17 PM
Maybe pick up a beater with a heater with the winter and buy something nice in the spring. Once spring comes the FT86 should be out.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:18 PM
my point is you would be buying a salvage title vehicle some one else fixed. some people are shady on these some are honest. that was kind of my point on buy that subaru. if it was not a salvage that would be a hell of a deal. even tho i am not a fan of that body style in a sedan. now a hatch....... umm umm good. lol

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:27 PM
http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1349221

buy this depending milage. you could pay in full for it with the overage check. i owned a 01 rs25 and loved it. plus i got 25mpg out of mine. i kick myself for giving it up. also if later down the road you want to buy a car this would be a good beater or even sell it off for what you paid. they do seem to have a good market. i will post some other links to other subaru classifieds to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:29 PM

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:34 PM
Leafy- That may be a decent idea. I am having trouble finding cars I can normally find a ton of.

MRThompson- I LOVE the hatches in that body style.. And I understand where you are coming from. The slobalt was an R title and i lucked out on how great the qaulity was that went into fixing it, and there was no previous frame damage.

And I actually looked at that and was going to post it. I will call tomorrow to ask about mileage.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:40 PM
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:43 PM
http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1346427 (I'm calling about this tomorrow)

http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1346770 (ugly as sin body style and a little high mileage.. but I am sure they are quick)

I will check those out. Thanks.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:50 PM
http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1342598

http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1341289

I dont know too much about any of these cars which is why I am posting them to get feed back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:52 PM

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:52 PM
prix is a sled. now with the 5.3v8 the go nicely.
older vw are junk according to darkstars, also doer is different color.
i am not a tiburon person. brother had one and sucked in northern ohio snow. along with he rolled it from a patch of ice. plus the clutch went out 2x.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2005-legacy-non-limited-gt-71k-miles-10-000-dc-169875.html

this to me is a good deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:56 PM

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:59 PM
I actually seen that. I favorited it. Did you look at that civ I posted earlier?

And I wish this had less miles:

http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1335164

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:00 PM

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:17 PM
yeah. not really a honda guy. to me they fall back in to the cavalier catagory. your in a good spot to upgrade or atleast stay at the same level as the cobalt. i personally wouldn't. the reason i push subaru so much is even the 99rs2.5 is a step a head. plus they have the awd that gets you anywhere. their awd system is setup in a rwd format making it much stronger than others out there. once you get out in one, especially winter, you think to yourself "where have you been all my life?" and i am being serious. if i could step back to the first car i bought and change it to a subaru. i sadly would have not been around here and been investing my money in a much better way. but we all live and learn and you stand in a great place. to be plus on a car you just bought is unheard of. so just remember to invest the money properly and by this i mean buying a car that will hold its value 5yrs down the road.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:35 PM
Yeah but my insurance is going to be through the roof I would assume so I am skeptical... Haha. And I am not a honda guy either but there is a great aftermarket support for integras and the sort. I am just exploring my options.. But insurance questions is what is worrying me.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/2591812247.html If this was only a little cheaper or with a little less miles.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search