New Car Ideas? - Page 2 - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: New Car Ideas?
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:36 PM
I would still rather buy a junker for a grand or less now. Saturns are nice, but everything after 98 is junk for them and try to stay away from autos and ones with sun roofs. They dont die, and get great gas mileage, and no one is going to steal it because its a freaking saturn. Then once spring comes and you have more money saved up from your job you can put down a big down payment on a new car with rwd and funness.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:45 PM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:I would still rather buy a junker for a grand or less now. Saturns are nice, but everything after 98 is junk for them and try to stay away from autos and ones with sun roofs. They dont die, and get great gas mileage, and no one is going to steal it because its a freaking saturn. Then once spring comes and you have more money saved up from your job you can put down a big down payment on a new car with rwd and funness.

I may actually do this... I will make it as nice as possible. Though that seems hard considering they are ugly as sin. lol. Or I may look for an older ranger or s10 for around a grand and then buy a car later. I DUNNO! hahaha. I have some time to think though.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:55 PM
if your worried about insurance i would make that the first call tomorrow. lol have them price quote the rs, integra, or what everelse you come across. if i am not mistaken something with 4 doors and no performance enhancements (turbo.supercharger, larger motor,etc) should give you a better quote. just a thought.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:01 PM
Yeah I have to call them tomorrow anyways... I just can't find any Integras for the right price though. I can't find much of anythign for the right price though.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:03 PM
Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:07 PM
That about normal but a tad low for a miata. An R package goes for mid to upper 3k.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:09 PM
I kinda like it if it is a 5 speed. haha.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:22 PM
Seat covers and steering wheel cover have got to go though. I wouldnt want to drive on in the winter. And you also have to watch out because it could very quickly go from daily driver to car that is trailered to the race every sunday with hoosiers on it.

try and talk this guy down. Your text to link here... to like 800 or a grand.

Your text to link here... Has the factory 91-92 header but those years have a few other funky parts too. If nothing breaks you would never know the difference though

Your text to link here... This is the dream saturn. Its got the lighter and shorter and better looking 1st gen chassis with a 2nd gen interior that actually has cup holders. He wants too much though.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:28 PM
SC2s are actually pretty nice and they are kinda quick for an older saturn I hear. haha.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:02 PM
http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1349837

I am calling about this just out of curiosity.... I also have the sunfire with teh brand new snow tires on it already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:04 PM

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:24 AM
if it was me i'd get a SS/TC but you seem pretty set on a no or low car payment... i know a SS/TC is my next car...

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:13 AM
GTmatters wrote:http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1347850
http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1349322
http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1343240
http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1334819

what do you think of that?

Did you throw the geo tracker in just to see if people were actually checking the links?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:03 AM
Hahaha... well no. It has low miles and I think I could buy it and get it running for around 1200 or so. lol. I through a VW beetle in earlier though it was a good price if it was all true info.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:00 AM
Maybe I missed this because of my ignorance but what is the big deal with Saturns? And I am asking this from a 100% informational purpose only and am not being a smartass, which because this is the internet it can be confused with very easily.

As far as insurance and Integra's go, I am pretty sure they make the list of top ten highest to insure vehicles every year because they get stolen..... alot. Just some food for thought.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:31 AM
Big deal with saturns is that; they dont die as long as you keep oil in them, no one will steal it, it gets 40 mpg if you have a 5 speed, stock for stock they handle better than anything in their class from the time period, they're cheap as dirt and even cheaper to fix. Drive great in the snow, and everything. In essence they're the perfect beater.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:47 AM
GTmatters wrote:
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:I would still rather buy a junker for a grand or less now. Saturns are nice, but everything after 98 is junk for them and try to stay away from autos and ones with sun roofs. They dont die, and get great gas mileage, and no one is going to steal it because its a freaking saturn. Then once spring comes and you have more money saved up from your job you can put down a big down payment on a new car with rwd and funness.

I may actually do this... I will make it as nice as possible. Though that seems hard considering they are ugly as sin. lol. Or I may look for an older ranger or s10 for around a grand and then buy a car later. I DUNNO! hahaha. I have some time to think though.

I say buy a beater with the insurance money you get and work your ass off and buy something nicer with cash when you can afford it. I'd rather own a car than have a car own me.... I'd try to find a grandpa fresh older car with low miles that is dirt cheap, like an older Buick century. Saturns as mentioned are a good idea too. A cheap truck wouldn't be a bad idea either or really any type of 4x4, then you could use it as a winter beater and wheel it during the rest of the year. Jeep cherokees are dirt cheap and run forever, but the mpg sucks, but in reality any 4x4 isn't going to get good mpg.
Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:03 AM
You hit a coon, get the car back, then drive it into a pole going too fast in the fog?

Don't get another car. Get a bus pass.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:56 PM
Rob- I am 100% going with this. I am trying to move too so I am putting 2500 into saving and using 1000 for a security deposit and rent for a house and using the rest for a car. And the MPG thing is why I posted the tracker and like trackers. I dont know how they get around in the winter, but they look pretty cool lifted with bigger tires. Haha.

Quick- Love and miss you too buddy.

I deposited my check today and it should be cleared by friday or saturday.

I called about that one 4 door saturn 5 speed today. Guy said there is nothing it needs for inspection. I told him I would give him a call back if I was still interested.

I talked to this VVV guy and he said the car drives great and the underneath has NO rust. It is a HORID color but.. he said he would take 700 for it. If he still has it this MAY be a winner. (and thank GOD he told me that spoiler is no longer on it. It also has ugly ass euro tails that would have to go.) The MAJOR plus is I still have my sunfire with brand spankin new winter treads on the stock GT rims. If I do get it, I may even look into seeing what it would take to make it into a cavfire with my GT front end. Just a thought. The only major downfall i see, it's auto.

http://classifieds.pennswoods.net/classifieds/viewad.cgi?adindex=1349837

BUUUUT my gf just found this earlier today when I was at work. VVV That thing looks super clean. AND it's a 5 speed. Would my GT rims fit on it though? And which would be more reliable and a better buy in your guys opinion?

http://altoona.craigslist.org/cto/2622636061.html

Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:12 AM
Ok well I have pretty much set my heart on a 96-02 cavy. I already have winter treads for it and am familiar with the platform. But the BIG idea I have is to put my GT sitting at my moms house to use. I looked in general forums at the sticky and the front end conversions look pretty easy over all. Plus I already have black 17s sitting in my moms garage. It all just seems win... and I already have the parts and tools for everything. So if I get the Green Horror I would just have 700 dollars into it. Plus I already have bi xenon HIDs on my sunfire. Mmmm I can picture it now....

Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:06 AM
its up to you on what you get. already said i would just get the subaru rs2.5 and be done. also you could put your rims on it also being it is 5x100.

yes all cavaliers have 5x100.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:27 AM
I called about it and got no call back. It was the first place I called.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:58 AM
I wish I could snag that 2.5rs. Yum!

Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:19 PM
Yea it is very nice... I wish they would have called me back.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 6:45 PM
Mr. Quick wrote:You hit a coon, get the car back, then drive it into a pole going too fast in the fog?

Don't get another car. Get a bus pass.

I don't know about that. He seems to have a pretty good business model going here. Maybe...

1) Buy new car
2) Drive it into a pole going too fast in the fog
3) Recieve check for more than you paid
4) Repeat...

I have no signiture
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search