2012 Mazda3 to get new SKYACTIV engine - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2012 Mazda3 to get new SKYACTIV engine
Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:55 PM

Refreshed 2012 Mazda3 Goes on Sale in Fall of 2011

(Toronto, ON): The sky’s the limit at Mazda's display at the 2011 Canadian International AutoShow. Making its debut is the 2012 Mazda3, which, in addition to receiving a facelift, will also offer the option of Mazda’s new SKYACTIV-G gasoline engine and SKYACTIV-Drive automatic transmission when it is launched later this fall. This initial application of Mazda’s SKYACTIV engine and transmission technologies – the first time they will be employed in a production vehicle – will realize higher torque at low- and mid-range engine speeds resulting in better drivability with less fuel consumption in everyday driving.

Mazda Motor Corporation has been developing its new technologies under the SKYACTIV concept and they include completely new gasoline and diesel engines, transmissions and vehicle architectures. Mazda’s SKYACTIV technologies will be launched successively beginning with the new gasoline engine and automatic transmission in 2011.

Mazda has stated that its goal is to improve fuel efficiency by 30 percent by 2015 (compared to 2008 levels). This will be accomplished through SKYACTIV technologies, which focus on improving the efficiency of internal combustion core technologies in association with vehicle weight reduction. Then, gradually, electrical devices such as idle-stop, regenerative braking and hybrid systems will be introduced to further improve fuel efficiency and reduce CO2 emissions.

In addition to the new SKYACTIV engine and transmission offerings, the 2012 Mazda3 will receive new front and rear bumpers with a redesigned front grill, fog bezels and front headlamps. New 16- and 17-inch alloy wheels complete the 2012 exterior updates.

Another vehicle making its first appearance in Toronto is the new 2012 Mazda5 multi-activity vehicle. Since its introduction as a 2006 model, the Mazda5 has redefined the concept of compact transportation by offering seating for up to six people in three easily configurable rows, as well as with unique styling and driving dynamics not typical in vehicles of this type. Over 50,000 Mazda5s have been sold since its introduction to Canada and it is the second best selling nameplate in Mazda Canada’s line-up.

The 2012 Mazda5, on sale now across Canada, incorporates motifs from Mazda’s “Nagare” design language which, inspired by the beauty of nature, presents an elegant look not found in any existing vehicle today. Changes run deep under the skin too, as the vehicle is now powered by a 157-horsepower 2.5-litre four-cylinder engine and can be paired with either a six-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission. Outstanding fuel economy and unexpected driveability are carried over from the previous model, as are the vehicle’s sliding rear doors and flexible seating for up to six people. The 2012 Mazda5 is available in two trim grades with a starting price of $21,795.

Rounding out the Mazda display is the full line-up of 2011 models, including the Mazda2, Mazda3, Mazda6, MX-5, RX-8, Tribute, CX-9 and, of special note, the 2011 CX-7, which is now being offered with leather seating, or all-wheel-drive, below the $30,000 price point.

Mazda Canada Inc. is responsible for the sales and marketing, customer service and parts support of Mazda vehicles in Canada. Headquartered in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Mazda Canada has a nationwide network of 168 dealerships.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: 2012 Mazda3 to get new SKYACTIV engine
Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:02 PM
refreshed and still ugly as sin!

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:23 PM
Still looks better than the new Civic..

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:50 PM
orange peel FTW lol

Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:43 AM

ummm... what?

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:49 PM
Quote:

orange peel FTW lol

Don't worry, the paint jobs from factory are just temporary because the Mazda's get repainted every two years. The Mazda dealer near my house has huge containers full of rusted out doors and fenders from 2/3 year old Mazdas. LOL
Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:43 PM
Yeah mazda=crap. Period. My moms 04 is starting to look like swiss cheese. and the interior has been falling apart for 3 years. Mechanicly has been bad had to track a bad wire to the Map sensor.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 5:31 PM
z yaaaa wrote:refreshed and still ugly as sin!

Want hub spacers? Shoot me a PM.

I <3 JGM

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:08 PM
Grayscale wrote:

ummm... what?

Going to guess its direct injected.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:51 PM
2012 brings a facelift, a new engine, and new transmission to the Mazda 3 compact sedan and hatchback. With the new equipment – and less smiley face – comes a new, $600-lower base price tag: at $15,995 including destination, the 3 now undercuts most its competition, save the Kia Forte.

The biggest news for the 2012 Mazda 3 is the addition of the brand’s new 2.0-liter SkyActive inline-four cylinder engine. The new mill utilizes direct injection, variable valve timing, and engine weight reduction to increase fuel economy without sacrificing performance. In the 3, the 2.0-liter SkyActiv pumps out 155 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque while topping out at 28/40 mpg city/highway.

To get to the magic 40 mpg number, buyers will need to pony up at least $20,095 for a 3i Touring with a six-speed automatic transmission sedan which nets the SkyActiv engine; the same can be had in hatchback form for an additional $500 (although it only gets 28/38 mpg), and the new six-speed manual will run $850 less no matter the bodystyle.

The 3i SV and Sport (available on the sedan only) carry over the 2.0-liter inline-four from last year – good for 148 hp and 135 lb-ft–and mate it with either a 5-speed automatic or manual transmission. All 3s models carry over the 2.5-liter inline-four cylinder with 167 hp and 168 lb-ft and either a six-speed manual or five-speed automatic transmission. The performance-tuned Mazdaspeed3 soldiers on with its turbocharged 2.3-liter four putting down 263 hp and 280 lb-ft, and is offered only with a six-speed manual.

The Touring trim level, available on both 3i and 3s models, adds a six-speaker audio system, 16-inch alloy wheels, steering-wheel audio controls, remote keyless entry, Bluetooth connectivity, silver interior trim, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob. Leather-trimmed seats are standard on Grand Touring models, as are 17-inch wheels, push-button start, a moonroof, dual-zone automatic climate control, Bose 10-speaker sound system, and navigation.

Options include a Moonroof & Bose Audio Package for automatic-equipped 3i Touring models ($1400) and a $1400 Technology Package that includes rain-sensing windshield wipers, self-leveling adaptive bi-xenon headlights, Sirius satellite radio, and a perimeter alarm for Grand Touring models. A blind spot monitoring system is optional on Grand Touring models for an extra $1400.

Full trim-level pricing is as follows; all figures include the $795 delivery charge.

Sedan-
•3i SV MT: $15,995
•3i Sport MT: $17,640
•3i Sport AT: $18,490
•3i Touring MT: $19,245
•3i Touring AT: $20,095
•3i Grand Touring AT: $23,095
•3s Touring MT: $22,095
•3s Touring AT: $22,895
•3s Grand Touring MT: $23,695
•3s Grand Touring AT: $24,495

Hatchback-
•3i Touring MT: $19,745
•3i Touring AT: $20,595
•3i Grand Touring AT: $23,595
•3s Touring MT: $22,595
•3s Touring AT: $23,395
•3s Grand Touring MT: $24,195
•3s Grand Touring AT: $24,995
•Mazdaspeed3: $24,795

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 8:16 PM
Is the speed3 engine DI? If not, they shoulda done it and pushed the numbers up some...to like 280 or so. Just to keep up with the forthcoming competition namely the Focus ST.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 3:54 AM
from what i read about these engine last year there are going to have a gas and diesel variant both running at 14:1 compression.or 14.5. cant remember
Thursday, October 06, 2011 6:04 AM
Very good on the new engine but are the major rust issues resolved or taken a look at???

Just saw a 2010 Mazda 3 this week with bubbling quarter panels. My 2003 Z24 still looks like new compared to a 2 year old car.

Mazda/Ford should look at this problem.
Thursday, October 06, 2011 11:27 PM
01cavZ24 wrote:Is the speed3 engine DI? If not, they shoulda done it and pushed the numbers up some...to like 280 or so. Just to keep up with the forthcoming competition namely the Focus ST.

The post above yours...... read it.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Friday, October 07, 2011 1:46 AM
Nice of them to put cupholders on top of the engine.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search